Roast Poultry, Game etc

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Jun 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lemon Stuffed Chicken

1 x chicken
    5 x lemons
    lots x garlic
    olive oil
    salt, black pepper,
    oregano/"wild marjoram"

Take chicken, and stab repeatedly all over with knife. Insert slivers of garlic cloves (I use a lot) in holes. Rub chicken with juice of 4 lemons, olive oil, pepper, salt and literally powder with the herbs. Stuff chicken with as many lemon husks as can be rammed up anus. Roast in large dish, as for chicken.

Peel and boil potatoes, drain, then shake violently in pan to roughen up the edges. Place in the roasting dish, around the chicken, ladling the juices over them. Douse with lemon juice, salt, oregano, oil etc. When the chicken begins to blacken, turn it over, adding more oil/seasoning/lemon juice and cook till skin crispens and potatoes are nicely roasted.

Very simple, very tasty, esp. with a nice Montepulciano.
  2. Rump's,

I take it the chicken is already dead before you, 'stab repeatedly all over with a knife' - Is there a Doctor in the house please ?

And the dish is called ' Chicken in the Rough ' No prints, DNA, footprints or tyre tracks. Sssch..!
  3. Might I suggest that, by only sticking one or two lemon quarters (and poss. a sprig or two of thyme) up the aforementioned birds harris, it will allow more air to circulate around the interior cavity, and more flavour will penetrate the meat. In this case, less is most certainly more.
  4. Wot ever you do - do not buy a Capon. This huge monster has a pellet injected into it's neck to emasculate it and build up growth. So just think about the effect on you a few months later.

Merry Christmas.
  5. I go with the chicken recipe but I've never managed to roast potatoes satisfatorily alongside. What temperature oven do you use?
  6. Use goose fat for roast pot's. Boil the potato first and then fry in the goose fat. Place in the top of the oven and wait until they split apart.
  7. Roasting potatoes is an acquired art, and it can take a lifetime to achieve the best results.

IMHO, a proper roast potato should be crunchy on the outside, but still soft on the inside.

My method is this:
    1. Prepare your spuds: peel and chop into similar sized pieces (this can be done in advance and if you store them in cold water it will prevent browning)
    2. Par boil your potatoes for about 5-10 minutes, so that they start to soften, but don't fall apart
    3. Drain and roughen your potatoes, as described by Rumplestiltskin. Leave them covered when finished as this helps keep the heat and moisture in.
    4. Preheat you fat/oil on the stove. Some people say that fat/lard works is than oil, but I find olive oil gives a better crunch. You should definitely use a different oven dish from the meat though.
    5. When your oil is spitting hot (test by adding a small drop of water), pile in your potatoes. The dish should be big enough that they can all sit in the oil. Roll them over/baste them to ensure that they are fully coated and stick em in the oven. Depending on the size/shape of your oven, the potatoes should be above the meat.
    6. Roast for 40 mins to 1 hr on a fairly hot oven and continue to baste as needed.

8. Roll on Sunday !
  9. Also if you boil the lemons for a few minutes before you poke them and shove them up the ass the flavour is much better. :)
  10. And for all you poverty stricken students out there, a decent joint cooked on Sunday and kept in the fridge will provide you with enough meat for the rest of the week.

11. Winners don't do drugs! :thumright: :D

Alternatively, just go to Nandos and have their chicken-it's rather nice even if it is KFC for the Middle Classes...
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

You must "Chuff" the barboiled spuds before getting them in the smoking goose fat.

Chuff: To rattle the spuds about the pan without any water and lid on til they become fluffy.
  13. I'll agree with the potato advice above... esp. use of goose fat, or duck fat. Which brings me to:

Duck with Plums & Slivovitz

The timings/quantities are a bit hazy, as I was very drunk when I first came up with it, and at every subsequent attempt. Just potter around with the sauce, and you'll know when it's right.

1 x duck
    1 x bottle of slivo: try and get the clear, home-distilled stuff rather than the yellow Croatian piss
    lots x plums
    muscovado sugar
    soy sauce

Grab duck. Pull out innards from inside, saving liver. Slit a sort of cross-hatching pattern across its back. Rub with cinnamon and salt. Roast on about 150 c with potatoes, as above- Mmm.

Meanwhile: stew the plums in a pan with a good slug of slivo and a wee bit of garlic until it turn into a sort of jam. Add the sugar if necessary, but not too much. If it's too sweet, add the soy sauce, or failing that, balsamic vinegar to even it out. Add some cinnamon, to taste. Keep adding constant dribbles of slivo to keep it quite liquid.

While it's cooking, lightly fry the liver with butter, a smidgeon of the duck fat and garlic, remove, mash/crush/chop with a fork and smear on a small bit of toast- say the end of a crusty loaf. This is to keep you going while you're cooking/drinking, and to test the sauce with.

When it's ready, carve the duck, pour/spoon the sauce all over. Eat with finely sliced cucumber, dressed with lime juice and black pepper, on the side.
  14. FFS Rumple old chum,

Get the whole duck off the shelf in Sainsbury. The plum sauce and pancakes come with it...!

£9.00 all in.

15. Never cook your roasties with poultry or pork due to the risk of Salmonella, It's ok and perfectly natural to cook them with beef and lamb however. Goose fat is a must if cooking seperately from the meat though and only use ground black pepper and ground rock salt to season, rosemary is also a good addition to roasties especially with lamb.