Roast Potato S.O.S

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bigdumps, Jun 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all!

My roast potatoes are always rubbish, they are always soft and mushy.

I boil them till they start fraying at the edges, drain, then rough them up, then douse with olive oil and bang in the oven at a high heat for 45-60 minutes.

What am I doing wrong? My mum's roast spuds are shite as well.

edited for cack spelling

2. Olive oil is ok, duck fat or goose fat is better.

Get the oven hot, put your spuds on a shallow flat tray, any built up sides tend to create steam and soggy spuds

Pre heat the tray as well. turn them over about half way through.

Bon appetite :D

3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Two ways of doing it.

1. Don't preboil, just put in roasting dish with a bit of oil, mix of olive and ordinary cooking oil, at 200 degrees C for 50 minutes - pain in the arse since you have to keep turning the little buggers and burning your fingers.

2. Pre boil till cooked through, then put in a collander and give them a shake so they go fluffy on the edges. Then deep fry them in a chip pan till golden brown - everyone will be amazed with the results. This of course considered cheating in many circles but they come out bloody well.

4. Yes that is cheating... I'm going to have give that a try, good tip!

5. What works well for me, as evidenced last night, is this:

Peel spuds and put on to boil. As soon as the pot comes to boil time 5 minutes. Drain at that point - do not leave them in the boiling water FTPOC!

Concurrently heat oil or fat (goose or duck is ultra yummy) in roasting dish.

Put spuds into bubbling fat, on a low gas on top. Seal them and baste them.

Pop in a medium oven. Baste once or twice. Cook for 1hr 45 plus...parallel timings to your joint.

Before serving remove from roasting dish and pop into warm serving dish. replace in oven while you carve. This crisps up the roasties proper nice an' all.

Don't use olive oil, it doesn't work well at the roasting temperatures, unless you cut it with fat or another oil.

6. If you are doing a roast, peel the tatties, quarter them and then place round the joint around an hour before the joint is to be removed from the oven. Remember to turn them every 15 mins or so.

The cheats way is to parboil and then chuck into a deep fat fryer or similar, but they're not as nice as they dont have the taste of the joint on them.

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Use a suitable variety of potato - floury rather than waxy - King Edwards or Maris Piper are widely available and roast well.

Parboil as per Cuddles' instructions. Don't overcook, and don't leave them in the water. After draining, return to the pan and shake gently to knock the edges off them - it'll help them crisp up.

Use a shallow sided baking tray; heat the oil or fat in it in the oven before adding the potatoes. Turn the potatoes so they are coated in the oil before putting in the oven.

Personally I roast for about 45 mins - I find the roasties go a bit leathery if overcooked, but much will depend upon your oven etc.

If the roasties don't appear to be cooking, whack the heat up when you take the meat out to rest - this will give you plenty of time to finish the roasties.

Top tip: Cook more than you need - cold roasties with cold meat, esp. beef, are the food of kings.

8. Or fried off with some garlic, bacon and Monday night's left-over chilli con carne, they make a smashing lunch for cuddleses on domestic fatty-gues.

9. Right thanks for the advice chaps, I'm making them tonight and I am going to mess around and try some of above methods. Cuddles, that sounds great.

The roast dinner really is all about the potatoes isnt it?

oh yes, I shall make way too many!!

:-D

10. I always stick the joint on a rack and roast the tatties under the meat so the juice drips over them. Works very well with pork and lamb but not beef or fowl as they produce too much juices and tatties go all soggy

11. Par boil, but not until done through just so outsides will rough up a bit,

Beef dripping or goose fat dependant on rest of meal in tray in oven until mad hot, chuck in spuds sizzle and stir until coated in fat, bang in oven again mad hot until nice and crispy golden.

Jobs a good un.

12. For an added bit of flavour pop one or 2 oxo cubes in the water when your boiling the potatoes, and Goose fat has got to be the best to roast them in.

13. Get Aunt Bessie to do them for you, she can do the Yorkshire puds as well

14. Best advice award so far goes to Cuddles 10/10.

In the kitchen we'd roast them in a brat pan with rosemary and garlic and salt and pepper to season just till they'd taken on a golden colour then its off to the ovens with them.

Outstanding flavour!!! :lol:

15. Well thanks but honestly, praise from a slop-jockey...I'm gutted! That CCF/ACF cookery course in 1977 at St Omer Bks obviously still shows through in my technique...

"Cadet Cuddles, can you possibly cook those vegetables any more?"

"Yes Q!"

"Well go on then, they're not "ready" yet!"

All joking aside it was ten days of top fun and I might even have gone ACC, had my first choice regiment not been overjoyed at my application even though I was not blond, six foot tall, an Old Etonian and fond of weekends in the New Forest with the Regtl Col. Which is another thread's worth!