Roast parsnips

Soggy4978

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I tend to lightly fry them in butter for a couple of minutes and then whack them in the oven with plenty of honey and a sprinkle of sugar.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you want fancy, try cutting the parsnips, or carrots, into 2- 3in lengths, then into batons, soaking in water till ready to cook.

Using a short length of streaky bacon, wrap them into bundles and push a cocktail stick through, then oil and roast.

It's true I tell ya, cut a large flat slice from a head of a cauli

so it looks like a section of brain about three quarters of an inch thick.

then brush both sides in olive

oil and on a flat sheet bung it in the oven, turn over half way.

It will go golden lovely and taste like the best French Fries.

You can only spoil it by cooking it till black.

I know this thread is about parsnips, but...

Par boil prior to roasting?
I cook mine (and carrots and celeriac) in with the roast potatoes, keeping it simple - so yes. Just bear in mind that if you follow this procedure that you need to cut the parsnips up really chunky, or they just disappear!

I cook mine (and carrots and celeriac) in with the roast potatoes, keeping it simple - so yes. Just bear in mind that if you follow this procedure that you need to cut the parsnips up really chunky, or they just disappear!
Chuck them straight in the bin - work of the devil!

Bit rushed, but you see the idea, also my roasties...... get a biro, put it in front of the potato, cut down with a straight bladed knife down to the biro in thin slices, cover in oil and roast, takes around 40 minutes at 170c.... carrots and parsnips about 20 mins.

Practice.... when you get it right it looks really good......

Par boil prior to roasting?
Mockney Jamie did that on TV: I followed suit - f#ckin' disaster. Have tried again (shorter parboil - 2 mins instead of 5) still only moderate.

Ma in law, on t'other hand produced brill roast parsnips for Sunday lunch t'day: hers are normally good, but these were exquisite.

They were small-ish Tesco's (spit-and-wash-my-mouth-with-soap) Finest parsnips, quartered, and drizzled with honey. Fluffy on the inside, golden and crispy on the outside. Luvverly.

Sadly, the Tesco pork shoulder produced an indifferent meat, not much of it was left after shrinkage, and the crackling was like leather (added water in the meat? I wonder)

Bit rushed, but you see the idea, also my roasties...... get a biro, put it in front of the potato, cut down with a straight bladed knife down to the biro in thin slices, cover in oil and roast, takes around 40 minutes at 170c.... carrots and parsnips about 20 mins.

I like the look of the potatoes , do you still need to par boil?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Do I have to do everything? Roast potatoes, do this:- par boil, drain, shake in pan to roughen edges, add tablespoon of plain flour to coat them, season. In a very hot oven add a roasting tin with goose fat, oil if you must. When hot take out place on a lit ring. Add potatoes, turn over. Put back in oven. Take them out, turn a few times, they're done when they look done.

A variation is to insert bay leaves in each slit (of the potato of course), Danish recipe I think.

I do something a little different. I cut parsnips in quarters lengthwise, parboil for a few minutes only and then with a paring knife pare out the woody bit in the middle at the top. I them put them in a baking dish with a little butter and cover them with sweet apple cider and bake until the cider has boiled down and formed a glaze on the parsnips. I usually sprinkle a little nutmeg over them before they go in the oven. Very tasty.

Note re sweet cider: NOT the clear apple juice sold in bottles and not hard cider. The brownish sweet cider sold in jugs at farm stands is best although supermarkets here also sell it in the fall. I am not familiar with UK markets and what they sell.

I like the look of the potatoes , do you still need to par boil?

No, just put oil (or some Jarrod's Gentleman's Lube) in a roasting tin, allow to get hot, then dry off the potatoes, roll in the oil, then roast for around 40 minutes, if they're right they will be crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle.

You can also experiment with herbs or garlic rubbed in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BedIn Infantry 5
Aunty Stella The Intelligence Cell 15
Spin_Doctor The NAAFI Bar 42