Roast parsnips

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vvaannmmaann, Apr 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Par boil prior to roasting?

2. No just roast from fresh drizzle on honey roast some more essence!!!!

3. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I tend to lightly fry them in butter for a couple of minutes and then whack them in the oven with plenty of honey and a sprinkle of sugar.

4. I don't, just drizzle with olive oil, rock salt and honey and shove in oven, job done.

5. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

6. OK Thanks guys!

7. If you want fancy, try cutting the parsnips, or carrots, into 2- 3in lengths, then into batons, soaking in water till ready to cook.

Using a short length of streaky bacon, wrap them into bundles and push a cocktail stick through, then oil and roast.

8. It's true I tell ya, cut a large flat slice from a head of a cauli

so it looks like a section of brain about three quarters of an inch thick.

then brush both sides in olive

oil and on a flat sheet bung it in the oven, turn over half way.

It will go golden lovely and taste like the best French Fries.

You can only spoil it by cooking it till black.

I know this thread is about parsnips, but...

• Like Like x 1
  9. I cook mine (and carrots and celeriac) in with the roast potatoes, keeping it simple - so yes. Just bear in mind that if you follow this procedure that you need to cut the parsnips up really chunky, or they just disappear!

10. Chuck them straight in the bin - work of the devil!

11. [​IMG]

Bit rushed, but you see the idea, also my roasties...... get a biro, put it in front of the potato, cut down with a straight bladed knife down to the biro in thin slices, cover in oil and roast, takes around 40 minutes at 170c.... carrots and parsnips about 20 mins.

Practice.... when you get it right it looks really good......

12. Mockney Jamie did that on TV: I followed suit - f#ckin' disaster. Have tried again (shorter parboil - 2 mins instead of 5) still only moderate.

Ma in law, on t'other hand produced brill roast parsnips for Sunday lunch t'day: hers are normally good, but these were exquisite.

They were small-ish Tesco's (spit-and-wash-my-mouth-with-soap) Finest parsnips, quartered, and drizzled with honey. Fluffy on the inside, golden and crispy on the outside. Luvverly.

Sadly, the Tesco pork shoulder produced an indifferent meat, not much of it was left after shrinkage, and the crackling was like leather (added water in the meat? I wonder)

13. I like the look of the potatoes , do you still need to par boil?

14. Do I have to do everything? Roast potatoes, do this:- par boil, drain, shake in pan to roughen edges, add tablespoon of plain flour to coat them, season. In a very hot oven add a roasting tin with goose fat, oil if you must. When hot take out place on a lit ring. Add potatoes, turn over. Put back in oven. Take them out, turn a few times, they're done when they look done.

• Like Like x 1