Roald Dahl's family finally get his war medals, 73 years on

Typical BBC, the headline should read 'Roald Dahl's family finally show enough interest to ask for his war medals'.

I'm sure a lot of servicemen, after the unpleasantness, couldn't be bothered to fetch the gongs.
Is there a supply of them somewhere which were struck, but never awarded, for this reason - even after all this time?

I'm sure a lot of servicemen, after the unpleasantness, couldn't be bothered to fetch the gongs.
Is there a supply of them somewhere which were struck, but never awarded, for this reason - even after all this time?
There seems to be. A couple of our guys got involved with a local care home and got a couple of WWII ones for one of the residents. He’d never bothered to claim them at the time, but had changed his mind lately but had no idea how to go about doing it.

Once they’d proved eligibility the medals office posted them out.

Post WWII, medals had to be individually applied for:

postcard1.jpg

This system was promoted in the press and at individual Post Offices. During the late 40s, large numbers of the Stars and Medals were manufactured and subsequently issued.

Later issues (and certainly since the turn of the century) medals are minted as required, hence the reason why collectors will bang on ad infinitum about the merits of earlier contemporary issues and later 'large ring' (the ring that supports the star from the ribbon) issues. Dahl's medals are of the later 'large ring' style.

My wife's grandfather - originally TA Heavy Arty (France, Dunkirk) and then commissioned into the RE (North Africa, Italy) - surprisingly showed no interest in obtaining his medals until I appeared on the scene about 25 years ago as a young RAF officer. He then applied for and received them fairly promptly; one was a medal for TA service, the details of which I can't recall.

My wife's grandfather - originally TA Heavy Arty (France, Dunkirk) and then commissioned into the RE (North Africa, Italy) - surprisingly showed no interest in obtaining his medals until I appeared on the scene about 25 years ago as a young RAF officer. He then applied for and received them fairly promptly; one was a medal for TA service, the details of which I can't recall.
Either the Efficiency Medal Efficiency Medal - Wikipedia or the Territorial Decoration Territorial Decoration - Wikipedia , war service counting double time. Given that the GF was commissioned for part of his service, I would suspect that it was the EM.

I know a few years back we requested, and received the Arctic Star for my grandfather.
Our request to the Russkis went unanswered, sadly.
Presumably the Ushakov Medal (or Medal of Ushakov)?

Sadly, if the GF has passed on, you won't receive it as it's for living recipients only.

Ushakov Medal Awardings

However, they do appear for sale and, as they're not named, you could always punt for one to make up the group.

My Grandad never had his. Not sure what he would’ve been entitled to & seeing as he’s long dead I can’t ask.
Would be nice to get his service records too.
He was vague, as my Gran never wanted him to talk about the war & always told him to stop when it was mentioned.

My Grandad never had his. Not sure what he would’ve been entitled to & seeing as he’s long dead I can’t ask.
Would be nice to get his service records too.
He was vague, as my Gran never wanted him to talk about the war & always told him to stop when it was mentioned.
Here ya go:

Get a copy of military service records

Needs to be NoK-if not, all you'll get is a heavily redacted version. Part of the record should include Awards and Decorations which will lead you neatly to this:

Ministry of Defence medal form

Good luck!

They were putting the boot into Dahl on R4 the other morning for 'naming the Jew', I had a look at what he'd said and it seemed legit to me.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nobody had a crack at him for his Order of the Mosquito.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
David Powell Waltenkommando 24