Roadblocks set up to catch drivers smoking

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Mar 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are they also going to take samples, to see if the driver, is also the relevant smoker?
  2. If you were to stand outside your vehicle, have a cigarette, and jump straight in, you're not breaking the law, but it would "smell" as though you had been. What a farce!
  3. Exactly! I don't even smoke and see this as completely absurd!
  4. Even more so if you were parked up in a layby having a coffee and a smoke in your vehicle to avoid the rain
  5. Well if they're going after the smokers it leaves us drinkers some lea way. Hic!
  6. This is hilarious, maybe somebody should tell the Padre here as he likes to puff away to his hearts content while driving his Military car.
  7. This is very good news for:

Rapists; Paedophiles; Burglars; Muggers; Fraudsters; Pick-Pockets; Illegal Immigrants and all other malefactors.

I thought all this sort on nonsense was going to be binned when we got rid of the failed oaf Brown's inept apology for a government: apparently not!
  8. I'd be inclined to tell them to **** off.
  9. Not so I'm afraid. Its an offence to smoke in a company vehicle even when its parked up. The issue is health, not distraction whilst driving.
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

More importantly, how will they tell the difference between a company car, and a private vehicle that is occasionally used for business?
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Is this really the best use of police time? I don't think so, especially in the light of potential cuts.

If this is a major issue for vehicles used as work vehicles - then leave the 'policing' of this to employers in exactly the same way as offices are. I don't see police walking into factories/offices to check if the law is being carried out.
  12. I'm not sure you grasped the point of the article, it's a council scheme aimed at stopping anyone smoking inside company vehicles, it's not aimed at any old driver smoking in his own car.

In any case, the "enforcement" of this isn't really an issue... from the article:

"We will use the month of March to carry out inspections, offer advice and generally try and make sure people are aware of and compliant with the legislation.

This is primarily about raising awareness"

Bit of a non story really.
  13. They've got to find something to do for nosey bastard council employees, to justify their continued employment, since they can't covertly follow and film parents taking their children to the "wrong" school anymore.