Road Tax Question

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Berlin_104s, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just taxed my car online. Am I allowed to drive my car before the new tax disc has arrived - 5 working days from now? As I understand it the offence I could be committing if I drove my car is 'failing to display a valid tax disc', notwithstanding that I have paid my road tax and I have the DVLA online receipt to prove it. I have searched the DVLA website but cannot find the answer. Does anyone know? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

2. From -
  3. Could be talking out of my backside here but I believe it is still an offence not to show a disc even if you have tax. However, the system linked to the Police computers will know if you have tax so you shouldn't be pulled up on the strength of not having any if you see what I mean.

Didn't know about the new law :)
  4. As above. Buy online and you're instantly covered. Just put it in the window as soon as it arrives.
  5. Angoria. If you have one you must flaunt it. And,unusually, if you haven't one you commit a separated offence of not displaying one. It matters not that you haven't one to display. It's a revenue offence and Excise Acts tend to be worded very tightly.
  6. Unless its the 'private contractors' who are ticketing, you should be ok, police systems are linked to the DVLA so wont issue a fine if you're caught, generally just a warning, as long as you're only caught once - at least thats what I was told by a tame local plod (who to be fair may or may not be spouting utter bollocks), if you get caught again its a fine for not displaying a valid disc (iirc about £60) but not - thankfully - points to add to the license.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm afraid you are not instantly covered as there is an offence of failing to display. I did the online thing or tried, ended up phoning so as to sort it. They told me not to put the car on the road until I had the tax disc displayed. It arrived 3 days later!
  8. That's what I suspected. I don't fall into the exemption bracket of the first five days in the month. I think I'll wait ... better safe than sorry. After all, it is an easy collar, isn't it! Thanks for all the replies.

Kind Regards

9. You are covered, see below:

29 Penalty for using or keeping unlicensed vehicle (1) If a person uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle (not being an exempt vehicle) which is unlicensed he is guilty of an offence.
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1) a vehicle is unlicensed if no vehicle licence or trade licence is in force for or in respect of the vehicle.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They told me on the phone not to drive it although it was dated five days before. You are commiting an offense. However plod tend to use the recognition cameras and there are only 30 odd inspectors nationally from DVLA.
    Your choice

from the same page as earlier, scroll down to other offences

11. There is a specific offence of failing to display (as mentioned before) but it would be an extremely sad Copper who books you up for that (I wouldn't) but bear in mind they might have heard "IT'S IN THE POST" a thousand times before from persons not as honest as yourself.

Though the DVLA do more of their own enforcement these days and (probably) have a direct link to their database.
  12. Most police vehicles are fitted with ANPR as standard, it will flag up any vehicle which is uninsured, untaxed, has no MOT as well as any other reason to stop said vehicle (bilking etc). Therefore as long as you have paid online you should be ok.
  13. Blond moment, what he said as well. Sorry.
  14. As of the 1st Oct 2008, as long as you have you can prove that you have paid for your Road Fund Tax and you have used the on-line system, you do have 5 days grace. Hence the 5 day rule. This does not apply to anyother payment method. These were my instructions as a serving Police Officer within the WMP area.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not on the statute books though is it, your fault if you havent renewed 5 days before it runs out! I had to go over the phone as |I had the MoT sticker but not the cert and I was sure the post office wouldnt have the electronic link to MoT's that DVLA has. I also could afford to wait 7 days as the car was being restored on road from 6 months of SORN whilst I waited on a part or two!