Road tax question.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by sammym, Dec 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I ordered some new road tax for one of my cars a couple of days ago. On the day it was meant to run out (forgot to do it earlier). I payed for it and am waiting for it to show up.

My local force are doing an anti drink driving thing at the moment and I got pulled last night. The copper was very pleasant, but seemed to make a meal out of my ticket being out of date. He insisted on me showing him the email receipt on my phone and said he would make an exception and not "stick you on for it", but he would be looking for my car in a few days to see if I had the tax ticket on the car.

So I was wondering if one of police or legal types could tell me what the law is on this? I was told that I had 5 days to get it on the car (by a bloke in a pub who is a car dealer), but apparently that isn't the case.

2. I think if you've paid that's it it's all done electronically now anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  3. It is an offence not to display same! 5 days grace is as much as a myth as the old 'having 14 days grace.' Why were you not able to do this over the counter at the Post Office?

4. Because I work, and amazingly my employers expect me to be at work during normal office hours, and not ******* off to sort out my own business. I was just unorganised and only realised last minute when I looked at the side and remembered the renewal letter.

AND why can't they just let me pay for 5/10 years road tax at once. This car is only £30 a year and it's a pain having to remember shitty little details like this every year.

5. Actually if you check once you have ordered it online you then have a few days until it arrives, otherwise everyone ordering online would be breaking the law.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

6. I'd no idea I've driven whilst waiting for a tax disc.

7. That's what I though. But apparently not according to this copper. I wasn't going to argue as he seemed like a decent bloke who was trying to be nice, and I'd rather not piss off people who can cause me a lot of hassle.

8. It's a shit situation. They can check my insurance and if I have a driving licence (and mot) at the side of the road, I don't need to carry that around with me. Surely it should just be computerised and bits of paper should be done away with.

9. Stuff em you've paid.

10. Year before last I renewed my road tax on line. After two weeks it hadn’t arrived and my old disc had run out. I contacted DVLA and found they had sent it to the wrong address (I’d just changed cars). They sent out a new one but I was told by them that even though I had paid I could not legally drive the car until I received and displayed my new disc.

Saying that every Police Officer or Traffic Warden I have spoken to would give you a couple of weeks grace before reporting you to DVLA.

11. Likewise, but my car is taxed. We all have responsibilities, may seem harsh but a fact of life. Still bet you don't forget again!

12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/commonquestions

Is it me?

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

See, there is your error I feel. A police officer or anyone else with a warrant card may request my name, DOB and address. I will comply because I am a nice guy and it is the law.

After that, if they want to start asking daft questions they can **** off, die and burst in their coffin. And if they have a problem with that they may chat with my ******* lawyers.

Consensual policing is a two way street.

• Like Like x 1
  14. And then the law states as 33 - (1) A person is guilty of an offence if........(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations............etc, etc.

But hey it ain't my vehicle, so go for it.......just saying like!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Online purchase, when your tax hasn't run out: 5 Days grace. it's been like that for yonks.

DVLA

No it ain't.

Because if you could buy 10 years road tax at once half the population wouldn't bother getting an MoT ever again.

• Like Like x 2