Road tax question.

I ordered some new road tax for one of my cars a couple of days ago. On the day it was meant to run out (forgot to do it earlier). I payed for it and am waiting for it to show up.

My local force are doing an anti drink driving thing at the moment and I got pulled last night. The copper was very pleasant, but seemed to make a meal out of my ticket being out of date. He insisted on me showing him the email receipt on my phone and said he would make an exception and not "stick you on for it", but he would be looking for my car in a few days to see if I had the tax ticket on the car.

So I was wondering if one of police or legal types could tell me what the law is on this? I was told that I had 5 days to get it on the car (by a bloke in a pub who is a car dealer), but apparently that isn't the case.

It is an offence not to display same! 5 days grace is as much as a myth as the old 'having 14 days grace.' Why were you not able to do this over the counter at the Post Office?

It is an offence not to display same! 5 days grace is as much as a myth as theold 'having 14 days grace.' Why were you not able to do this over the counter at the Post Office?
Because I work, and amazingly my employers expect me to be at work during normal office hours, and not ******* off to sort out my own business. I was just unorganised and only realised last minute when I looked at the side and remembered the renewal letter.

AND why can't they just let me pay for 5/10 years road tax at once. This car is only £30 a year and it's a pain having to remember shitty little details like this every year.

Actually if you check once you have ordered it online you then have a few days until it arrives, otherwise everyone ordering online would be breaking the law.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

Actually if you check once you have ordered it online you then have a few days until it arrives, otherwise everyone ordering online would be breaking the law.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app
That's what I though. But apparently not according to this copper. I wasn't going to argue as he seemed like a decent bloke who was trying to be nice, and I'd rather not piss off people who can cause me a lot of hassle.

I'd no idea I've driven whilst waiting for a tax disc.
It's a shit situation. They can check my insurance and if I have a driving licence (and mot) at the side of the road, I don't need to carry that around with me. Surely it should just be computerised and bits of paper should be done away with.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
It's a shit situation. They can check my insurance and if I have a driving licence (and mot) at the side of the road, I don't need to carry that around with me. Surely it should just be computerised and bits of paper should be done away with.
Stuff em you've paid.

Year before last I renewed my road tax on line. After two weeks it hadn’t arrived and my old disc had run out. I contacted DVLA and found they had sent it to the wrong address (I’d just changed cars). They sent out a new one but I was told by them that even though I had paid I could not legally drive the car until I received and displayed my new disc.

Saying that every Police Officer or Traffic Warden I have spoken to would give you a couple of weeks grace before reporting you to DVLA.

Because I work, and amazingly my employers expect me to be at work during normal office hours, and not ******* off to sort out my own business. I was just unorganised and only realised last minute when I looked at the side and remembered the renewal letter.

AND why can't they just let me pay for 5/10 years road tax at once. This car is only £30 a year and it's a pain having to remember shitty little details like this every year.
Likewise, but my car is taxed. We all have responsibilities, may seem harsh but a fact of life. Still bet you don't forget again!

If I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?When you apply for a tax disc online or by using DVLA's phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/commonquestions

Is it me?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
he seemed like a decent bloke who was trying to be nice, and I'd rather not piss off people who can cause me a lot of hassle.
See, there is your error I feel. A police officer or anyone else with a warrant card may request my name, DOB and address. I will comply because I am a nice guy and it is the law.

After that, if they want to start asking daft questions they can **** off, die and burst in their coffin. And if they have a problem with that they may chat with my ******* lawyers.

Consensual policing is a two way street.

And then the law states as 33 - (1) A person is guilty of an offence if........(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations............etc, etc.

But hey it ain't my vehicle, so go for it.......just saying like!

So I was wondering if one of police or legal types could tell me what the law is on this? I was told that I had 5 days to get it on the car (by a bloke in a pub who is a car dealer), but apparently that isn't the case.
Online purchase, when your tax hasn't run out: 5 Days grace. it's been like that for yonks.

DVLA

It is an offence not to display same! 5 days grace is as much as a myth as the old 'having 14 days grace.' Why were you not able to do this over the counter at the Post Office?
No it ain't.

Because if you could buy 10 years road tax at once half the population wouldn't bother getting an MoT ever again.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Because if you could buy 10 years road tax at once half the population wouldn't bother getting an MoT ever again.
The other half would probably tell them to stick their ******* insurance up their jaxie in all.

Anybody else getting the impression that the OP is basically a stupid ****. Or is it me?

Taxation rates will change year on year with inflation you mong.

You can go to an MOT without tax or MOT but if it passes and you drive the vehicle to a place where you can tax it you are breaking the law. Driving a car away from an MOT station after it has failed is a bit grey.
Coppers usually make a judgement on how you behave and what they had for breakfast. Insurance companies however would be utter gits should you not have tax or MOT.

Taxation rates will change year on year with inflation you mong.
And insurance changes daily... May as well make it a daily charge incase it goes up.

Also if your going to be clever please check your facts out. Taxation does not ******* change with inflation, it changes with what the government decides. Which is why it's related to CO2 emissions. You ****.

Online purchase, when your tax hasn't run out: 5 Days grace. it's been like that for yonks.

DVLA

No it ain't.

Talking out of your arse CC. You do not have five days' grace as stated on the DVLA website. It only states it could take up to five working days to arrive. This does not constitute a grace period. However, you will not be picked up by ANPR as the database is updated immediately with an online purchase. It is still an offence not to display but most coppers would take the time to check, unless you're being an arse.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 0
Berlin_104s Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 24
Berlin_104s Finance, Property, Law 4