Road safety ??

Discussion in 'RLC' started by mck1, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over here in Germany on BFBS there is a campain running stating that the forces are more likey to die in traffic accidents than civies, why is this ??

2. What you have probably referring to is the awareness raising campaign.

Based on research carried out for CESO(A), stats seem to identify that soldiers are more likely to be involved in an RTA having returned from tours of duty in operational theatres. ('Post Op Tour' RTA's)

Always thought RTA's were part and parcel of the job. (Down to the fact that Phase 2's don't get taught to drive at the sausage machine......DST!) :x

Did I just bitch? 8O

Edited by Edgey: Mong spelling

3. because BFBS is the last bastion of true propaganda and can get away with such unscruninised sh!te....

given that the population of the UK is 60(ish) million and the armed forces are only around 250 000, i think its highly unlikely that you're more likely to die in a RTA - maybe that young squaddies are spending their 'tax-free' allownace and LSA on fast cars and ploughing them in though?

.....i do however fondly remember the BFBS drink aware ad that had a bloke getting changed into mess kit and his little kid crying, saying that it would be bad later as daddy had his drinking suit on!

4. I have yet to see the entire contents of the Mieler factory simultaneously get in their cars and gun it as fast as humanly possible to Calais, stopping only briefly to chin the last of the ration tokens at the Dutch border and only slowing below 120mph to moon people from their Section / Team.

5. The Army have just spent £600k on this Road Safety Campaign because stats from DASA found that Service personnel are more than twice as likely to die in a 'Land Transport' accident as a civilian of same age. This spikes in the 3 months post ops, but that post-ops spike continues to have an effect for 18 months. The ads for BFBS TV and Radio are part of a wider campaign and include a longer film to be shown in Decompression.

You can watch an interview from BFBS Reports on 26th Sept with Col Chris Manning, the man behind the campaign here

http://www.ssvc.com/bfbs/tv/reports/index.htm

6. Since WW2 more servicemen have probably died in traffic accidents than in combat. It'll always be a difficult problem when you want aggressive soldiers but defensive drivers.

7. It could be that we are Thrill Seekers

8. i suspect it was ever thus, and little to do with tours given:

a. Young soldiers have a much higher disposible income than their civvy counterparts and are therefore more likely to buy a (fast) car.

b. Young soldiers are more likely to be drivers than civvy counterparts given driver training and licence aquisition is commonplance.

c. Whilst i have no data, i suspect there is a higher percentage of motorcyclists amongst soldiers than civvies (again, disposible income).

d. Soldiers drive infrequently, lengthly journeys and whilst tired...ie, the long drive 'home' at weekends...

None of this is new. I've seen many initiatives from adverts, MDs presentations, the walking forward theatre etc etc....all of which i think are pretty ineffectual...young aggressive lads will always drive fast...

9. This is a subject very close to my heart. And if the reports that I have had released to me over the past couple of years are accurate, then in the year that my son died in an rta, he was just one of 52 soldiers who died in road traffic accidents in 2005.

That year there were 7,786 accidents at a cost to the MOD of £142.8 million.

My 'simplistic' view of the whole subject is that youngsters pass their driving test in the army usually on a one week course. Let them loose on German roads and as in my sons case it was carnage.

I am glad that the army are taking it seriously, it needs to be. My son and the other two lads lives were wasted, the two younger lads would have celebrated their 21st birthdays last month.

The boys deaths are made worse by the fact that all training and safety precautions supposedly in place by the army seem to have been ignored.
    The army let an inexperienced and unqualified driver out that day, I hope that they are learning lessons.

Rather too late for some of us, but hopefully not for others.

10. With regard to road safety and the 'Top Level Ad Campaign to Reduce 'Post Op Tour' RTA's:

In all honesty I don't think that the new film entitled 'The Grim Reaper' is hard hitting enough. The film in question (Which has 'Shaun Dooley' (Mark of Cain fame.) playing the Grim Reaper ) is being shown to soldiers in the APODs prior to returning from ops and also during decompression.

Personally I don't think that many servicemen/women who have just been on duty in operational theatres will be shocked by it. It might well have a shock value for a short period after. I could be wrong, after all, this is just my opinion.

I commend anyone who attempting to overcome the ongoing problem of RTA's within the Armed Forces.

If it does save lives, it's a job well done.

I though, have my doubts.

The problem lies with the initial Dvr Trg at DST, we need to change the way we teach young soldiers. Quite simple DON'T teach them to pass a test, teach them to DRIVE. I know it's not the fault of the instructors, their hands are tied. It's the old sausage machine, in one end and out the other, as quick as you can, regardless of quality.

I am old(ish) school and I was therefore fortunate enough to go through ASMT (As it was at the time.) at a time when stats were not such a big issue. I was therefore taught to DRIVE. I remember travelling all over Yorkshire, East, West, North and South and being lucky enough to be put in for test when I was ready. Unfortunately those days are now long gone.

Not like today, 10'ish days for Cat C and 3-5 for E.

(When you take into account that the ratio for Dvr Trg is 1 instructor to 2 students, it isn't really 10'ish days or 3-5 behind the wheel.)

No wonder RTA rates are so high!

Rant over, I'm off home for my tea. :wink:

11. AE...

...it's not duty RTAs thats killing the young lads, the army has an excellent safety record for duty RTA stats, its off-duty where the fatal RTAs are occuring.

I agree that films shown in decompression will have little effect.

This needs to be tackled with a much wider govt led initiative such as curfews, passenger limits and engine power restrictions for young / inexperienced drivers.

I agree that the army has a duty of care, but this is a societal problem, i think its far too simplictic to say a young tom has a x% higher chance of being killed in an RTA than his civvy counterpart...i also echo my point that i've yet to see a decent road safety campaign....

12. The figures are probably not that surprising, that age group is already the top one for deaths and serious accidents in civvy street, and if you think that the forces selection process weeds out the ones who would not say boo to a goose, so you have 100% gung ho youngsters and fast cars. In some ways you may actually be able to suggest that the forces accident rate is low for the type ofpeople if you weed out the weeds in civvy street and look at the accident rate for those left.

Of course we should try to improve things but it is a reality that every red bloody person in the range 18-25 does think they know best and are invincible, they always have and always will.

13. I would like to know what the Stats are for RTA's amongst German based soldiers compared to UK to see if the Autobarn theory has credit. What really gripes my sh*t is when units insist on CO's PT the morning the lads are travelling back to UK on Summer/Xmas leave. You can't beat the feeling of driving to UK after a 5 mile stretcher race!