Road Kill

On my DSC1 course I was told that every person in the country who pays vehicle insurance, £15 of it is purely to cover the cost of Claims involving collisions with deer.

ugly

LE
I think there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors around that one.

The Deer Act 1991 treats entering private land for the purpose of taking of a deer carcass as poaching. Does taking a deer carcass from a public road require the council’s permission? Or is the road public?

The Theft Act defines ownership of wild animals and includes a clause about abandonment. So if you hit a wild deer you’re hitting someone’s property. But if you find a carcass it’s abandoned.

Quite how a feral or wild deer can be an individuals property beats me. The things roam across large areas of land. Most farmers want them gone; they’ve become a massive nuisance.

Bottom line, is anyone going to claim the deer as their property?
The game acts are the reason for ownership, essentially game is the property of the land owner or sporting rights owner of the land where the animal dies!
To stop poaching I believe

The game acts are the reason for ownership, essentially game is the property of the land owner or sporting rights owner of the land where the animal dies!
To stop poaching I believe
Deer aren’t game. They’re covered by their own act; The Deer Act 1991.

Still doesn’t deal with the death of game on a public highway.

ugly

LE
Deer aren’t game. They’re covered by their own act; The Deer Act 1991.

Still doesn’t deal with the death of game on a public highway.
The first deer acts came in the 1960’s thanks to efforts of St Huberts club!
The original game acts of the 19th century covered deer and up until recently you still had to buy a game license when stalking in Scotland

This stretch of road they seem to have a death wish and what's in the photo is a regular occurrence.
Fortunately I saw it coming and slowed down but it would have been so easy to skittle it.
1590489823201.png

anglo

LE
Now you're playing with fire. Officially, you shouldn't take it upon yourself to dispatch injured animals. Instead, you should report it to the RSPCA.

What do you think would happen if somebody reported you for kicking the sh1t out of a badger? Could you prove that it was injured beyond recovery before you started lacing into it?

Bit of a moral dilemma, eh?
If you're in the forces remember Blackman

Now you're playing with fire. Officially, you shouldn't take it upon yourself to dispatch injured animals. Instead, you should report it to the RSPCA.

What do you think would happen if somebody reported you for kicking the sh1t out of a badger? Could you prove that it was injured beyond recovery before you started lacing into it?

After reading that I don't think it applies to deer.

After reading that I don't think it applies to deer.
Two definitions of "animal".

For police reporting purposes, it's the Road Traffic Act definition. For everything else, it's any creature.

RT Act "animal" - report to Police.
Dead animal - report to council.
Injured animal - report to RSPCA.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

the RSPCA are like the EU rules belong to other people.

watched an animal hospital show a while back and they were releasing grey squirrels back into the wild.

against the law I do believe, once caught they have to be killed.

Karamoja

War Hero
Not roadkill but it is about hitting an animal. I used to play golf on a course on the fringe of the Kalahari where Hartebeest used to wander onto the course. If you hit one, it was called a "hartie" but you were penalised two strokes. Being slightly bloodthirsty, in those days, I always tried to hit them, but being a useless golfer, I never managed.

Apropos of picking up dead deer. I once received a call from a lady motorist who had picked up an apparently dead Muntjac and put it on the back seat. The animal regained consciousness whilst she was driving and started running laps. She was able to stop and get out, closely followed by the deer, which then ran off. As far as I could understand, she wanted me to find it for her. Sadly had to decline the invitation.

muscat_diver

Old-Salt
Lots of wild horses and two hump camels in Kazakhstan. Road kill does not last long at all as meat is very valuable and sought after. As previously posted RTC results in a scrum of cars and DIY butchery.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
That's definitely the official position of the RSPCA, though by no means the law.

Two definitions of "animal".

For police reporting purposes, it's the Road Traffic Act definition. For everything else, it's any creature.

RT Act "animal" - report to Police.
Dead animal - report to council.
Injured animal - report to RSPCA.
Which government agency do i call when my shoe laces come undone? Which government agency do i have to contact when a bird flies into the car while I am driving?

What happened to us? why have we given up so much of our independence that people cant even ease an animals suffering without first consulting the laws and reporting it to the police, council or charities?

If an animal get's hit by a car outside of office hours, it is doomed to die, slowly by the roadside with broken legs and spine, internal organs in the wrong places and in extreme pain because few people know to do the right things anymore.

Even if you contact them during office hours, It is extremely unlikely that an armed response unit will come in a few minutes time and put a bullet through it's brain.

Latest Threads