road bike

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by matty1989, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (Hoping this is in the right place)

Im soon going to go out and buy my first road bike after being introduced by a friend who does triathlons and would like some advice please so ill cut straight to it.

What frame size will i need (i'm 6'4" with a 37" inside leg measurement)?

How much should i spend (without going into the ££££'s preferably)?

Are they easy to get used to with the curved handle-bars afer using mountain bikes for a number of years?

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

2. Go to a good bike shop - Evans Cycles are OK (excl the London Bridge branch) and take their advice. £ 500 to £1000 gets you a decent road bike, carbon forks but not a full carbon frame - the latter will take you into a different price bracket. I got a Felt F75 (I think) a couple of years ago and very happy with it. Not sure if the Army is signed up to the Ride to Work scheme but if so that would get you a BIG tax break. Handlebars are all different - just take a bike for a test ride and see what you feel comfortable with. Good luck with it.

3. I got a Specialized Allez a couple of years ago to start Triathlons - got all the best reviews at the time in the £500 category in bike mags and is a great starter bike. If you are going to do Triathlon though this is just a basic bike and you will need clip on pedals and shoes too. I also fitted Triathlon bars as they really help reduce the drag. Don't worry about the drop handle bars as you will soon get used to them, and as you progress you will try anything to reduce your frontal area (and therefore drag) so you can go faster. Don't mess about with the inline brakes (I assume you mean putting brakes on like you have on a mountain bike), as you will be sat too upright and this is no good for racing.

If you get hooked and want to do much more, you will need to be looking at a proper Triathlon bike, and they can cost serious cash!!!

E_C

4. It might be worth doing a bit of thinking and research - you're a hell of a size, so if someone has (say) an old double-butted Reynolds steel alloy frame your size the resale value is probably £40. The time trialist advice was always to reduce rotating weight, so good wheels, light pedals.... Air resistance is the killer so a helmet cover and cheapo tri-bars. Very high pressure tyres for rolling resistance. If you mooched about, put up some notices in bike shops, skulked ebay, you could probably get something that worked really well for less than £200.

Way too small but just as an example - 531 bike, £67 with 12 minutes to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Clubman-Reynolds-531-road-bike_W0QQitemZ300315495715QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item45ec32cd23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

5. Jesus, the little 531 bike went for £73. If it is as described that's a peach of a bargain.

6. I'm 6 Foot 3 and bought the Giant Defy 3 in size XL for £525. Its an excellent bike.

7. http://www.bikeradar.com/

This is the website for most of the UK bike magazines and is even has a forum! The only way to find your size is to visit a bike shop and ride - some will measure you too.

8. I just got a trek 1.7 as my first proper road bike after having ridden mountain bikes for a few years. I love it and although it is a bit weird at first changing gears and braking with the drop bars you quickly get used to them and I like them more than flat bars now. I got mine from evans (work bike loan scheme meant it had to come from there) but made the mistake of going to the London Bridge Store and they are pretty crap, I wont be going back to them.

9. thanks for all the advice guys, appreciate it,

have just done the same as jockanese123 and bought a Gian Defy 3 XL after visiting a local bike shop as was suggested both on here and from a friend of mine. Thanks again for all the advice. Matt.

10. I hope you enjoy it, I certainly have!

11. just been out on my road bike for the first time, and have come back with a numb thumb from holding the handle bars just behind where the brake levers/shifters are, did my thumb go numb because of where i was holding it or because it is a new style of bike which im not used to using yet and are there any solutions to it as i would rather not be in pain everytime i go out on my bike, once again all help is greatly appreciated. Matt.

12. Rock rigid forks. Carbon fibre or very high quality steel puts the shock right through. The old basic Reynolds 653 frameset had a 531 fork precisely to create more give. The stem or top tube might be short, or you might be sitting on the rivet, which will throw your weight forward. The cheap solution is to slide the seat as far back as possible.

13. I bought a mountain bike with big tyres mainly because 20mm 700c was going to put me into an early grave with the stress of punctures.

You might have sharp bits on the inside of the rim, though. Are the punctures road side or rim side?