RNZAF Boeing P-8 Poseidon purchase

... and USN, as the two largest friendly players in the Kiwis' part of the world.

Makes a lot of sense, interoperability, training and possibly support arrangements with the RAAF.
Still not an easy call for them however as the P-8 can't operate from many of the short fields in NZ's enormous South Pacific EEZ. Hopefully they'll make a call on their C-130 replacement shortly as well which I predict will be the KC-390.

Regards,
MM

Good news, and helps build a common operating community. P8 is a fantastic piece of kit, and far better (IMHO) than MRA4 was likely to have been.

Still not an easy call for them however as the P-8 can't operate from many of the short fields in NZ's enormous South Pacific EEZ. Hopefully they'll make a call on their C-130 replacement shortly as well which I predict will be the KC-390.

Regards,
MM
You're probably right. Especially since Boeing is the strategic partner for Embraer (not withstanding the fact they just bought the whole commercial airline business of Embraer). Embraer could very well take the lead/ play a major role in the 737 replacement program.

They need a wide area surveillance capability, they can use the existing RAAF Triton infrastructure. Exactly the same economic realities that drove to to buy P-8s...the RAAF support infrastructure.
Well, time will tell won't it @sunnoficarus/@SOI/@meerkatz.

Regards,
MM

NZ won’t buy the KC-390 unless another 5 eyes jumps first. Buying so few aircraft, they have to be incredibly risk averse, NH-90 burnt them badly.
The C-130J is the preferred option.

Well, time will tell won't it @sunnoficarus/@SOI/@meerkatz.

Regards,
MM
I said the A400M was fatally flawed while people in light blue were still billing and cooing over it, and here it is, officially fatally flawed.
I was bang on the money with P-8 for the RAF.
I was also saying Wedgetail will be the front runner to replace the will never be upgraded E-3’s
And the RAF will stop the F-35B at 48 and switch to the F35A and get another Squadron of P-8s.
That’s 3 out of 3 to date, and time will assuredly make that 5.:wink:

Great to see a P-8 in my old squadron colours. I understand that it won't be able to operate form the MOD at Whenuapai, Auckland, and that it will be based at the former fast-jet base at Ohakea. Which will upset no end of people!

I said the A400M was fatally flawed while people in light blue were still billing and cooing over it, and here it is, officially fatally flawed.
I was bang on the money with P-8 for the RAF.
I was also saying Wedgetail will be the front runner to replace the will never be upgraded E-3’s
And the RAF will stop the F-35B at 48 and switch to the F35A and get another Squadron of P-8s.
That’s 3 out of 3 to date, and time will assuredly make that 5.:wink:
What about the 4th lol? I did hear whispers that RAF may go the A route...

cheers

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Good news, and helps build a common operating community. P8 is a fantastic piece of kit, and far better (IMHO) than MRA4 was likely to have been.
Doesn’t P8 have rather short legs compat d to the Japanese equivalent and Nimrod?

Yes, they can tank, but that requires two aircraft and two crews?

it will be based at the former fast-jet base at Ohakea. Which will upset no end of people!
@Crash Is Palmy as bad its meant out to be? I first heard of the place in the TV series Outrageous Fortune (which BTW, I liked so much I binge watched all the seasons - twice!), which was introduced to me by my ex-GF who is a Kiwi. She used to keep making fun of her friend who went to Massey Uni there.

Always look on the bright side of Palmy

Great to see a P-8 in my old squadron colours. I understand that it won't be able to operate form the MOD at Whenuapai, Auckland, and that it will be based at the former fast-jet base at Ohakea. Which will upset no end of people!
It was announced yesterday that the Sqn was to be moved to Ohakea, something to do with the anti submarine munitions that it will be carrying.
Due to the fact Whenuapai is surrounded by housing nowadays, apparently they cant be loaded in Auckland due to safety concerns.

They'll be the first people in light bue who ever cooed over it, it was forced on them as you should be aware.

You are of course the guy who said bin Typhoon and go all stealth...