RNoAF NH90 troubles...

Belgium has decided to "scale down" the operation of its 4 NH90 TTH for a variety of reasons.
The cost of inducting the F35 and A400M are often quoted along others such as manpower and industrial support.
It is likely Belgium will also get rid of its fleet of Agusta A109 and will replace both the A109 and NH90 by a yet to be specified (12,15?) number of Airbus H145

gafkiwi

War Hero
Any idea who might be in the market for the four Belgian aircraft? Do they have to be re-sold via the manufacturer?
Did the Belgians order reasonably stock air frames or did they get fancy? If they are reasonably stock it would be a cheaper way to top up a fleet for some nations. The Aussies run 46 so a deal on few extra air frames might be worthwhile. I remember some time back the Aussies were also looking at getting in with the French to design a more SOF orientated version of the 90.

Did the Belgians order reasonably stock air frames or did they get fancy? If they are reasonably stock it would be a cheaper way to top up a fleet for some nations. The Aussies run 46 so a deal on few extra air frames might be worthwhile. I remember some time back the Aussies were also looking at getting in with the French to design a more SOF orientated version of the 90.
The French ALAT has 74 NH90 TTH on order and normally the last 10 will be the SF version, called NH90 TTH France standard 2. The first 6 will be delivered to the 4°RHFS in 2025 and the following 4 in 2026.

A couple of years ago the CDR of the French SF said its command needed a total of 24 NH 90. All the Caracal (EC225MkII) of the ALAT are to be transferred to the FAF.

Last edited:
The French ALAT has 74 NH90 TTH on order and normally the last 10 will be the SF version, called NH90 TTH France standard 2. The first 6 will be delivered to the 4°RHFS in 2025 and the following 4 in 2026.

A couple of years ago the CDR of the French SF said its command needed a total of 24 NH 90. All the Caracal (EC225MkII) of the ALAT are to be transferred to the FAF.
Wandered around the DGA area at Le Bourget exactly a year back and next to the H160M mock up was the Special ops variant of th NH90 NFH

EC68012D-D39C-452B-ABDE-60D2FD417F5B.jpeg

Belgium has decided to "scale down" the operation of its 4 NH90 TTH for a variety of reasons.
The cost of inducting the F35 and A400M are often quoted along others such as manpower and industrial support.
It is likely Belgium will also get rid of its fleet of Agusta A109 and will replace both the A109 and NH90 by a yet to be specified (12,15?) number of Airbus H145

TBh I was surprised that their Luchtmacht did not consider looking for replacement for the A109M a lot earlier. Come the end of the Cold War around decade ago, their A109M went out of the anti armor role, with removal of the HelitTOW system.

Alos Does not surprise me The H145M is considered considering Duchy of Luxembourg has pair of H145M.

C7A8F7A8-3A7D-4DB9-9968-14BEEC0FF81A.jpeg

Germany Luftwaffe has H145M LUH SOF

Serbia has them (i did post up photos from my brief at Le Bourget last use of first Serbian H145M)

Hungary has A pair already delivered out of 20

B19C165C-C582-4580-9205-FFAD7AABFF5A.jpeg

So in Europe it’s catching ...

cheers

Last edited:

gafkiwi

War Hero
Wandered around the DGA area at Le Bourget exa rly a year back and next to the H160M mock up was the Special ops variant of th NH90 NFH

View attachment 485515

TBh I was surprised that their Luchtmacht did not consider looking for replacement for the A109M a lot earlier. Come the end of the Cold War around decade ago, their A109M went out of the anti armor role, with removal of the HelitTOW system.

Alos Does not surprise me The H145M is considered considering Duchy of Luxembourg has pair of H145M.

View attachment 485521

Germany Luftwaffe has H145M LUH SOF

Serbia has them (i did post up photos from my brief at Le Bourget last use of first Serbian H145M)

Hungary has A pair already delivered out of 20

View attachment 485527

So in Europe it’s catching ...

cheers
I wonder if they have put larger side doors on the SOF variant. For all its size and power the side doors seem to be a hang over from a civilian design. Only big enough for either loading unloading of troops or the gunner/crewman and made worse if roping. A larger door or a dedicated gunner/crewman position like with the Blackhawk would make the design more flexible and suited for tactical troop support.

Yokel

LE
NH-90 is a piece of pooh, but Airbus still managed to sweeten the deal enough to suck in the gullible from time to time.
@PhotEx seems to think the NH-90 is great. Perhaps Norway should have bought ASW Merlins or Wildcats with dipping sonar? The Republic of Korea Navy operates the Wildcat with dipping sonar, and Portugal put dipping sonar on Super Lynx?

NATO needs ASW helicopters. NATO needs cabs with dipping sonar right now.

Last edited:
I wonder if they have put larger side doors on the SOF variant. For all its size and power the side doors seem to be a hang over from a civilian design. Only big enough for either loading unloading of troops or the gunner/crewman and made worse if roping. A larger door or a dedicated gunner/crewman position like with the Blackhawk would make the design more flexible and suited for tactical troop support.
The ramp is to be strengthened on the SF version but l have not read about a design change of the doors. That would add 10 years to the program...

@PhotEx seems to think the NH-90 is great. Perhaps Norway should have bought ASW Merlins or Wildcats with dipping sonar? The Republic of Korea Navy operates the Wildcat with dipping sonar, and Portugal put dipping sonar on Super Lynx?

NATO needs ASW helicopters. NATO needs cabs with dipping sonar right now.
Several NATO nations use either the Sikorsky legacy S-70B Seahawk or newer MH-60R

Greece
Spain
Turkey
Denmark.

I was half hoping that Germany would go for the MH-60R or Wildcat To replace their Lynx. As during ILA 2018 as I saw MH-60R exhibited (my photo) on static between the BOeing AH64D Longbow based down in Bavaria and Mildenhall’s finest Bell-Boeing Cv-22B and Slovak Air Transport Europe new Bell 429.

1593420764442.png

Anyhow as NH90 NFH selected to replace their legacy Sea King in then there was a competition (Or lack of) to replace Lynx.

Back in 2016, pair of RN Wildcats were detached / embarked on board German Navy frigates. When I was at RIAT 2017 got brief from crew of this Wildcat (my photo below Parked next to Marineflieger Lynx)..turned out their sister a/c was one the ones embarked with the Germans.

0E2ACB89-7D86-4178-97CA-790CDD019836.jpeg

But as it happened, the Germans went the easy way and selected the NH90 Sea Lion leaving only one type fits all.

Portugal is only remaining Lynx / Super Lynx operator maritime wise..

France, Netherlands (dId hear they had issues with NH90 NFH), Norway, Sweden, Italy, in NATO use NH90 NFH.

Spoke to A Spanish Defense company at conference and they reckoned that Spain were gonna replace their Seahawk’s with Nh90NFH eventuality

Last edited:

gafkiwi

War Hero
The ramp is to be strengthened on the SF version but l have not read about a design change of the doors. That would add 10 years to the program...
I could never really understand the rational around the side door design on the NH90. "They can use the rear ramp" seemed to be the easy cop out for the design team in the first place. Little to no thought about how to integrate the likes Fast roping or Rappelling capabilities into the air frame. These have all had to be developed after they were procured by various forces. When you compare the set up and door design to the much older Black Hawk you can see why the likes of the Aussy SOF held onto the Black Hawk for as long as they could.

Latest Threads