• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RNLI to Pay for Radio Licences

Just serves to show the money-grabbing c0cks in government who form these idiotic schemes for the imbeciles that they are. Why not start charging MPs for their parliamentary TV coverage, and make them all pay from their own grubbby pockets, and not some convenient central fund; no payment = no debate.

The regulator has issued a consultation paper and is seeking responses by the end of next month.
I think they can expect quite a forceful response by the end of next month from a multiple of sources. I've been a Governor (a member) of the RNLI for over 20 years and this has to been one of the daftest things I've heard.

I hope some bean counter in Whitehall works out that not getting £260K in license fees is better than spending £124 Million to replace an existing service.

I find it incredible that such a deeply unpopular Government should be spending so much of its time to find ways to actually increase their unpopularity.

I am an RNLI Volunteer (not crew but I do voluntary educational work). Its just another nail in the coffin of a service that atually supports itself with no government handouts. RNLI Crew work all year round to provide 24hour sea rescue cover in the UK and the ROI and have been since 1824 with upwards of 137,000 lives saved. RNLI lifegaurds now also patrol a number of beaches during the summer. The majority of crew are volunteers, normally one crew member per station is full time paid and he is normally the Lifeboat mechanic.

I am not surprised that some twaat in a grubby suit somewhere has thought this could be a means of extra revenue for a Government department somewhere. This country baffles the shite out of me it really does!!!

If you hit the link below the map will tell you how important the service is and on average 24 launches a day!!!!!
www.rnli.org.uk

Markintime said:
I find it incredible that such a deeply unpopular Government should be spending so much of its time to find ways to actually increase their unpopularity.
Playing the fiddle while Rome burns policies are at the heart of One Eyes thinking...

An Ofcom spokeswoman said: "This is a consultation and we are open to hearing people's views. We are consulting on whether life-saving charities should get a discount compared with other users."
C0ck.

I hope the spokesman sinks and is failed to be rescued by the RNLI whilst they are "consulting" on whether to save him or not

Check out the way they are fecking up SAR coverage by outsourcing the maintenance to VT/ Serco/ Wastelands/ whatever monkeys the money attracts, to see how much they really care about emergency services

rockhoppercrab said:
Check out the way they are fecking up SAR coverage by outsourcing the maintenance to VT/ Serco/ Wastelands/ whatever monkeys the money attracts, to see how much they really care about emergency services
Do you mean the contract for air coverage, where the Navy and RAF get to free up air assets through the MCA and HMCG having their own indigenous SAR air support?

Took pictures of one of the new coast guard helis in action at a demonstration the other day... quite good!

As for the radio licence... as usual you have to wonder if anyone really is in charge of the madhouse. How anyone can think this is a good idea really is beyond me.
Yet more ridiculous ideas from a ridiculous government, can anyone say they are really surprised??
I am, at present, working on a photographic contract for the RNLI, having never needed their services in the past, it's only now I truly understand how much of a good and crucial job they do!

There is no service in existence which could not provide a worse service for more money and more staff with increased bureaucracy - its the Neue Arbeit way - destroy the volunteer service through overregulation, then create a tax funded one with unionised middle management jobs for core swing voters to fill under the simple premise that Turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

RNLI = British Institution run by volunteers and therefore not directly controlled by Govt, started pre 1997. Not staffed by lefty tree huggers and does not favour multi-cultural, metro-sexual drug taking wasters. Therefore a target for this (mal)administration.

Surely this would mean that Neue Arbeit would be shooting themselves in the foot? Given their penchant for making charities cover the gaps they should be providing for (e.g. Help for Heroes, Combat Stress etc)...

Older_by_the_day said:
rockhoppercrab said:
Do you mean the contract for air coverage, where the Navy and RAF get to free up air assets through the MCA and HMCG having their own indigenous SAR air support?
Free up exactly what air assets? Still using 3,3a and 5 sea kings, flown by navy and crab crews but maintained by civvies both permy and contractor, who seem not to like keeping the cabs in too good a shape.

The RNLI is an honourable institution, highly regarded by the public and deeply ingrained in our national psyche so, just like the Armed Forces, it's ripe for persecution by this government.

Just to illustrate the lunacy of this government

The RSPB (thats birds..) gets £20m a year from the taxpayer which spends a lot on overseas projects in places like India and Russia. Both of whom have significant defence budgets of course and similar or greater GDP's

So we can afford to save birds in other countries but not fund properly something like the RNLI

We spunk over £5bn a year into overseas aid, just think about the poor birds in Russia and India next time you are waiting for a lifeboat

My day job (when not Stabing) is with HMCG - once a proud name, now consumed by the bureaucrats at the MCA - and it is quite apparent to me that this country's SAR assets are provided in almost all cases by volunteers and peoples goodwill. HMCG's own rescue teams are all essentially unpaid volunteers, RNLI needs nil explination (top PR department), various independent rescue craft around the coast, some mountain rescue teams. All are provided on a no fee to the casualty basis with no government support. Even most SAR aircraft are borrowed from a primary tasking (military SAR). It beggars belief that Ofcom/Treasury is seeking to make money from an area that ought (and in many countries is) to be provided by the state.
Yet another example of the caliber of leader we have these days I fear. At least the RNLI has a high profile with many friends in the right places (torygraph article etc) who may be able to win them some form of exemption.

Latest Threads