RNLI - Overseas Expenditure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

when word gets around
That happened about a year ago (anecdotally), after the ridiculous 'mugs' incident took place. My fishing village just stopped sending anything to the RNLI and started handing over the locally-gathered cash to their pals in the service. No idea how that worked out in other places but it's what I do now. I stopped my monthly automatic bank donation in protest at the imbecility of the 'management' of the service.

No, he's an executive manager, employed to increase the income of the organisation and (supposedly) amplify the functioning efficacy of his charge. The last half dozen of our PMs are also supposed to do that as part of their role; only a couple have managed successfully. The CEO of a Charity is expected to maximise the benefit of all voluntary donations to the core mission of the charity; in this case, as with a number of others (RSPCA, RSPB, Oxfam etc) they have expanded their roles to include political missions which are not their core remit. An Inquiry, Commission and reform are required. Very urgently.

I'll rephease.

The CEO of RNLI hasn't done the harm the last half dozen PMs have done.

Even if he'd changed the rôle of the crews to torpedoing cargo ships and machine-gunning survivors, he's still ahead of the PMs on net harm.

Although I'm sure you're right and he's a lady's front bottom.

I took a job not long ago due to a vacancy created by someone moving in to a senior RNLI management post; this chap came back to the firm on some legacy business and social calls and was scathing about their head shed. When i moved on he was back at his old desk in time to finish the pot of tea I'd left.

I'll rephease.

Even if he'd changed the rôle of the crews to torpedoing cargo ships and machine-gunning survivors, he's still ahead of the PMs on net harm.

I took a job not long ago due to a vacancy created by someone moving in to a senior RNLI management post; this chap came back to the firm on some legacy business and social calls and was scathing about their head shed. When i moved on he was back at his old desk in time to finish the pot of tea I'd left.
I'm immensely impressed.

I'll rephease.

I'm immensely impressed.
Well that's a relief. I've been yearning for your approval these many a long year.

A lot of pubs I drink in have the lifeboat on the bar. It's a well known and loved charity.

Two points.

1) Most would agree that this service should not be mainly funded with charitable donations.

2) If the OP and others is correct, and this hits the public via MSM, the RNLI management are going to need a Shannon Class boat to rescue them from hot water.
Staggeringly bad move.
I respectfully disagree* with your first point. RNLI has worked very well for many many years as a charity staffed primarily by volunteers and has saved countless lives over those years. If they begin to get government money in no time at all the camel of bureaucracy will poke it's nose under the edge of the tent and all will be lost. Eventually someone in government will mandate that all lifeboats be adapted so that quadriplegics can serve on a boat crew and that it is wrong to require that radio operators be able to speak english.
It has worked for years. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

* since you are a mod, please read the first line to say "very, very respectfully"

Shouting at the clouds again?
Nope just pointing out what a stupid comment you made. Happy with a 2% tax increase? After all it would be "small change".

Any of you ****'s who are saying you'll stop donating want to have a word. RNLI do a brilliant job, top guys manning their boats. Anyone using our inshore waters should be glad to donate.

2% going to teach overseas low resource areas to setup rescue organisations is chicken feed. If the boats were not being replaced on time you might have a point. You don't, you useless whining fecks.
£3.3m chicken feed!

I hope you are not, will never be in a position of financial responsibility if that's your attitude.

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
But why does the RNLI have overseas expenditure? Other posters have mentioned the "National" aspect; the damage done by having an "overseas" expenditure risks a compromise of "national" fundraising, both for the RNLI and independent lifeboats.

Overseas expenditure may give RNLI mangement an opportunity to travel to exotic locations to see how our money is being spent.

edit..shpelling.

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting that those on the thread who are/were professional mariners are pretty phlegmatic about the news while those who aren't are unhappy about it.

Maybe the dangers of drowning are universal.
Not sure how you do your sums!

And as to the risks, one dark and stormy night when I was 19 I though I was going overboard to the sharks in the middle of the Indian Ocean. So I do have a perspective on this.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
As @Ned_Seagoon said, this story was given fair prominence in Saturday's Times (paywall).

woger wabbit

Old-Salt
Crass? Bad Taste? Glad you approve. Do you think there was any hint "how dare they spend our money saving dirty foreigners" in any posts? What do you think about the RNLI sending teams of volunteers and equipment to flood stricken countries?

Not so many years ago, the RNLI was refused Lottery funding as it did not do enough to help minority groups.

If yuo are interested - here is an outline of UK SAR.
I stand by my comment that donated funds should not be used in overseas projects.
I'm still looking for your outline of UK SAR.

Crass? Bad Taste? Glad you approve. Do you think there was any hint "how dare they spend our money saving dirty foreigners" in any posts? What do you think about the RNLI sending teams of volunteers and equipment to flood stricken countries?

Not so many years ago, the RNLI was refused Lottery funding as it did not do enough to help minority groups.

If yuo are interested - here is an outline of UK SAR.
Unless the RNLI get better training they should leave flood stricken countries alone.

Have you got a link to the RNLI not getting lottery funding due to not helping minorities because that sounds like Daily Mail made up story.

Unless the RNLI get better training they should leave flood stricken countries alone.

Have you got a link to the RNLI not getting lottery funding due to not helping minorities because that sounds like Daily Mail made up story.
Independent lifeboat at Caister:

National Lottery application box ticking.

Our local cricket club was turned down because it didn't have the right ethnic mix in our youth team and were not in a sufficiently disadvantaged area of the country.

The club is in rural Cheshire where there are few ethnic minorities. We will give anyone a game who is interested in playing. Evidently it would have been ok if we'd imported some disadvantged Pakistanis from Accrington.

Another club in the Accrington area was given a grant although they have a pavilion 4 times the size of ours and over 200 members. But they serve a "disadvantaged" area.

woger wabbit

Old-Salt
Any of you ****'s who are saying you'll stop donating want to have a word. RNLI do a brilliant job, top guys manning their boats. Anyone using our inshore waters should be glad to donate.

2% going to teach overseas low resource areas to setup rescue organisations is chicken feed. If the boats were not being replaced on time you might have a point. You don't, you useless whining fecks.
The point being made is that some UK stations are being down graded to in shore operations only to save funds, the 2% should be used to keep these stations fully operational .

Independent lifeboat at Caister:

Not the RNLI then,
Also they give the reason as:
The fund's rejection letter stated: "You describe the beneficiaries as being coastguard and police services (statutory services), commercial shipping, fishing, industrial offshore platforms, ferries and aircraft (all private interests). All these groups fall outside our funding policies."

Interestingly the article says the RNLI used to provide the protection but stopped 30 years ago.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not sure how you do your sums!

And as to the risks, one dark and stormy night when I was 19 I though I was going overboard to the sharks in the middle of the Indian Ocean. So I do have a perspective on this.
I'd always assumed that you'd pulled an oar at Salamis or, slightly more contemporaneously, Lepanto.

The point being made is that some UK stations are being down graded to in shore operations only to save funds, the 2% should be used to keep these stations fully operational .
Indeed. If they want to piss money away abroad then be clear and declare we have more money than we need in the UK. And make their budget decisions match that.

Latest Threads