RNLI - Overseas Expenditure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Chef

LE
It's a fair point, however in counter to it I would suggest that a huge number of charities have multi-national operations and it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the RNLI does anyway.

As the UK we are highly regarded in many areas; I don't think that it is such a great revelation that a very-well established institution such as the RNLI share their expertise abroad.
I tend to agree with you however it seems a bit disingenuous not to mention the foreign excursions. I would feel the same about any other charity which is nominally a national charity.

If the RNLI were to cover the costs which their overseas expedition incur would that be unreasonable? Particularly if they're losing money here. That would be a thought.

maybe just tell people to stay away from the water rather than encourage people to swim in it. That's just asking for trouble:)

Toppet

Old-Salt
I tend to agree with you however it seems a bit disingenuous not to mention the foreign excursions. I would feel the same about any other charity which is nominally a national charity.
...but they do. In their annual report.
just tell people to stay away from the water rather than encourage people to swim in it. That's just asking for trouble:)
Oh, on this we're fully agreed.

I don't think you would vote for Boris Johnson but that doesn't stop you having an opinion him.
I've said I wouldn't, anymore than I'd vote for Corbyn. Twa cheeks o' the same erse.

All you had to do was say no. So you can't withdraw your doantions? But you're upset enough to comment on here about it.

I've said I wouldn't, anymore than I'd vote for Corbyn. Twa cheeks o' the same erse.

All you had to do was say no. So you can't withdraw your doantions? But you're upset enough to comment on here about it.
Who is upset? I've often pointed out charities spunk money on shit.

I wouldn't bother. Most of the White Knights of Charitable Transparency are less outraged by the fact that the RNLI don't have a copy of the annual accounts taped to every collection tin and more that they happen to spend money trying to prevent brown people drowning.
Perhaps some would rather prioritise the nations oggin to be safeguarded and prevent people of any colour drowning, rather than Johnny Foreigners oggin being safe for brown, black or gammony honkeys?

Even those jabbering Chinese you despise.

Why make comments and judgement on the operational strategy (prevent drowning) based purely on the annual accounts?
Have you actually read this thread before throwing in your tuppenceworth?
I suggest you read it all, possibly with attention to posts #128 and #273.
Accounts are purely that. What is being questioned here is the ethics of spending UK & Ireland donations overseas while laying off staff and closing down lifeboat stations in the British Islands (including Ireland)
Being efficient? Can they get a boat there and will it save lives is the question.

In most cases it was shown they couldn't, which is why locals set up their own independent stations.
Do we have instances of lives lost? Just been reading about the St Abbs / Eyemouth boats - having dived the area the decision makes sense to me.

Do we have instances of lives lost? Just been reading about the St Abbs / Eyemouth boats - having dived the area the decision makes sense to me.
I don't believe any lives were lost.

It was more about how the locals in the different areas felt, having provided crew for many decades, some over 100 years, having seen their crew save lives, having donated, having supported their crew over all those years, to suddenly feel abandoned. Also, the local population, including many fishermen, divers, boat owners, believed they needed their local service and that lives could be lost due to a corporate decision.

In most cases the new independent boats and crews were funded and up and running by the time the RNLI actually pulled out.

The important part is that all those independent boats went on to save lives, and are still saving lives. It would be difficult to say with certainty if the lives would have been saved or lost if RNLI boats had to be sent from further afield.

Oh, hell. It seems that my opinion on the direction in which the RNLI spends its donations ensures that I'm a racist who wants brown people to drown. That pretty well concludes any sensible debate on the matter, I think, unless anyone wants to come up with 'Nazi'?

Chef

LE
...but they do. In their annual report.
Hence my comments on being disingenuous. Hidden in a report? How about:

'RNLI, Saving lives at home and abroad'

Anyway when was the last time you saw a collection box with the moving lifeboat?

Toppet

Old-Salt
In their own words, their remit extends further than that. From the 2018 Annual report:

WE’RE MORE THAN A RESCUE SERVICE
Wherever drowning occurs, we aim to defeat it. With your support the RNLI can break the drowning chain and make early interventions by influencing, supervising and educating people. We work with partners to understand the risks and offer innovative solutions – and our Community Safety teams share that knowledge with anyone using the water to keep them safer. We share that expertise internationally too. We give support to countries where drowning rates are significant

They've never hid it and I feel that preventing drowning, wherever it may happen (especially when it involves kids who don't know better) it is a noble endeavour.
@ex_colonial I'm interested - what do you disagree with in this post?

Oh, hell. It seems that my opinion on the direction in which the RNLI spends its donations ensures that I'm a racist who wants brown people to drown. That pretty well concludes any sensible debate on the matter, I think, unless anyone wants to come up with 'Nazi'?

My bold.. The same here, despite my written acknowledgements in my thread "Tales of a colonial policeman" where I openly claim that I owe my life to my African police and have the greatest regard for them. My anger and disgust at most of Africa is the plethora of corrupt, avaricious and often moronic politicians who lied/bullied and cheated their way into power with the result of turning what was and still could be a great prosperous continent under the right management.
The problem with the RNLI is that its original charter states it was formed to save lives at sea around the coasts of the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, as well as on some inland waterways.
Its remit seems to have had "mission creep" when in 2000 it offered the use of its Flood Rescue Teams (FRT) nationally to become internationally (iFRT), the latter prepared to travel to emergencies overseas at short notice, to Mozambique.
In 2014 in an effort to reduce the estimated 400,000 drownings a year worldwide, more than half of them children, the RNLI extends practical or strategic safety advice to lifesaver organisations overseas, in some cases providing training at the Lifeboat College.
I feel that with the latest revelations both in its overseas involvement and its increasing punitive political correctness, it needs to tell the public what its aims now are and where their money is going.
I have already written to them stating that I and most other contributors I know, will not support any of its international virtue signalling. Perhaps they could launch another organisation the International RNLI and let those handwringers who feel moved by "white guilt" contribute to it and keep the RNLI separate!

My bold.. The same here, despite my written acknowledgements in my thread "Tales of a colonial policeman" where I openly claim that I owe my life to my African police and have the greatest regard for them. My anger and disgust at most of Africa is the plethora of corrupt, avaricious and often moronic politicians who lied/bullied and cheated their way into power with the result of turning what was and still could be a great prosperous continent under the right management.
The problem with the RNLI is that its original charter states it was formed to save lives at sea around the coasts of the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, as well as on some inland waterways.
Its remit seems to have had "mission creep" when in 2000 it offered the use of its Flood Rescue Teams (FRT) nationally to become internationally (iFRT), the latter prepared to travel to emergencies overseas at short notice, to Mozambique.
In 2014 in an effort to reduce the estimated 400,000 drownings a year worldwide, more than half of them children, the RNLI extends practical or strategic safety advice to lifesaver organisations overseas, in some cases providing training at the Lifeboat College.
I feel that with the latest revelations both in its overseas involvement and its increasing punitive political correctness, it needs to tell the public what its aims now are and where their money is going.
I have already written to them stating that I and most other contributors I know, will not support any of its international virtue signalling. Perhaps they could launch another organisation the International RNLI and let those handwringers who feel moved by "white guilt" contribute to it and keep the RNLI separate!
It does.

Repeatedly.

Only you chose not to pay attention.

Oh, and remind me how saving lives is “international virtue signalling”?

It does.

Repeatedly.

Only you chose not to pay attention.

Oh, and remind me how saving lives is “international virtue signalling”?
Enhancing international effort to save lives is virtuous.

Prioritising this virtue at the expense and to the detriment of the native capability and exposing those who pick up the tab to greater risk of drowning is classic virtue signalling.

Well, we’d better stop the RNLI going past that 12nm limit - that’s international right there.

Well, we’d better stop the RNLI going past that 12nm limit - that’s international right there.
Nobody is doubting the loyalty or professionalism of those who serve. I appreciate that your focus is on doing your job and not looking at how the expertise is also employed outside of call outs. My only concern is funding. Do you think the overseas projects should be funded in whole or in part by other government budgets ?

Latest Threads