RNLI - Overseas Expenditure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

That's not very helpful is it?

If this is part of a multi national effort then fair play to them. If it's a solo effort which provides a reason for the execs to go on jollies around the world then it may be harder to justify.

Are volunteer crews getting to help on these courses?
I really do not care, I don't think we should judge our efforts by whether or not others are doing it. I'm happy that 2p in the pound goes to help save lives outside the UK.

As stated earlier, it was at the request of the donator, who probably gave a bit more than the specific request.
Was it? Because when you read their site (Not that you would have bothered of course) it doesn't say that. What it does say is that along with donations/grants from individuals/organisations that expenditure for abroad can come from general funds

I've just looked at the donations page on RNLI web-site and there doesn't appear to be a facility where a donor can specify which life-boat station where they wish their money to be used. However, it does name two special projects (Filey and Portsmouth) where new D-class boats are required.

I live over 40 miles from the sea and the web site can't even tell me which is the nearest L/B station; although I can work that out for myself - it can't even identify the nearest RNLI shop.

That leads to the question - How do I donate to a specific station without having to make an (at least) 80 mile round trip to put a penny in the collection box?

Making the donation on-line does not guarantee that my money will go to the L/B station I want it too.
Have you tried this?

Find Your Nearest RNLI Lifeboat Stations, Events And Shops

There's even this bit:

1568819028912.png

Ping 'em a mail otherwise.

Was it? Because when you read their site (Not that you would have bothered of course) it doesn't say that. What it does say is that along with donations/grants from individuals/organisations that expenditure for abroad can come from general funds
Read the thread Frank. Eyes misted over?

Most stations have a website or Facebook page, telephone number or email address. Have you contacted them and asked them how to do it?
I took your advice and rang the nearest L/B station to where I live. Their response - and it may differ from other L/B stations - was "through the RNLI web-site".

As stated earlier, it was at the request of the donator, who probably gave a bit more than the specific request.
As stated earlier, the donor did not pay it all.
So RNLI payed the unspecified amount remaining.

This is obviously trivial money, half a dozen swimsuits or whatever it was. It starts to become more questionable if they were'nt DHL'd over to Tanzania but delivered via BA (First Class) + 2 weeks in a 5 Star.

As stated earlier also, I think acquired expertise in lifesaving should be shared with whoever wants it.
The bloke who regularly puts his small change in the Lifeboat on the bar might be surprised to know some of it may be going to Africa, may think we have already given too much, solved nothing, and maybe even exacerbated the problems over there, created a culture dependant on handouts.

As stated earlier, the donor did not pay it all.
So RNLI payed the unspecified amount remaining.

This is obviously trivial money, half a dozen swimsuits or whatever it was. It starts to become more questionable if they were'nt DHL'd over to Tanzania but delivered via BA (First Class) + 2 weeks in a 5 Star.

As stated earlier also, I think acquired expertise in lifesaving should be shared with whoever wants it.
The bloke who regularly puts his small change in the Lifeboat on the bar might be surprised to know some of it may be going to Africa, may think we have already given too much, solved nothing, and maybe even exacerbated the problems over there, created a culture dependant on handouts.
I genuinely thing "WTF is up with these people?" when I see their complaints. From the link below which gives much more information.

“As world experts in saving lives at sea, using just 2% of our budget to help combat a global drowning epidemic that costs around 370,000 lives a year (mostly children) has to be the right thing to do”.

The RNLI respond to misleading "funding burkinis for Africans" articles

Awol

LE
I genuinely thing "WTF is up with these people?" when I see their complaints. From the link below which gives much more information.

“As world experts in saving lives at sea, using just 2% of our budget to help combat a global drowning epidemic that costs around 370,000 lives a year (mostly children) has to be the right thing to do”.

Reading it quickly, that reads as if the RNLI is saving 370,000 lives a year.

I'm sure it wasn't at all intentional.

From the link:

"For example, there is no mention of Tanzania Search and Rescue, a partner of the RNLI, which is a volunteer-run search and rescue operation that operates off the seas of Tanzania."

Not surprising as the Search and Rescue organisation is for Kilimanjaro. The organisation that works on the sea is Tanzania Sea Rescue.

I really do understand what makes a young adult choose to serve their country in one way or another.
But if I was 17 again, and knew what I know now, I probably would'nt choose the Army as a career, definitely would'nt join the Police .
And if I was an RNLI volunteer coming back from a testing shout, and read about a never-served, highly paid, CEO buying burkinis to give to Tanzania, while backing a never-served, well paid, Area Manager who is easily offended rather than the people who get their hands dirty...

I would be a bit miffed, feel somewhat let down by those who pull the strings.
I suspect if you were 17 now, in the world which said 17 YO is set to inherit, you might have a different world view.

15-odd years ago I was very into sailing - still am a member of a club - and even back then there were rumblings of disquiet over the RNLIs fundraising tactics and spending priorities. The volunteers on the ground are legends but the organisation itself has been rotten for a long time. Same is true of all the big brand-name charities, Oxfam, Cancer Research UK, you name it.
So like most charities then

On their site they state that funding for abroad can come from general funding.
I find it strange that someone would approach a British charity to go abroad, rather than just find a charity that is already working in that country.

On their site they state that funding for abroad can come from general funding.
I find it strange that someone would approach a British charity to go abroad, rather than just find a charity that is already working in that country.
you'll also see that RNLI initiated and co-chaired a global conference on drowning...not cheap

Not to mention it skates completely around the issue that it is not about sending £3.3m abroad, but sending £3.3m abroad whilst sacking over 100 jobs in the UK.

But hey, it's a lot easier to distract the issue by labelling people racists as opposed to justifying the priorities for spending.

Latest Threads