RNLI - Overseas Expenditure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Just for a bit of context does anybody have any idea or reference as to how much the rest of the world's life boat organisations are contributing towards eliminating world drowning? In fact who else is involved is it a UN initiative or something the RNLI is doing off its own bat?

Serious question
Serious answer. I don't care.

Sadly, you'll remain a stranger to logic for the rest of your life. Taxes aren't decided by me.

Do you donate or are you just outraged by proxy again? do the Norgies, cloggies or wherever you're posted give you a wide berth as they spot you shouting at the clouds, putting the world to rights for stuff you don't bother about normally?
How much charity waste overseas aren't decided by you either.

Who said I was outraged? That's something you are making up especially as ive already said i was pointing out what a belter you were to suggest that 2% (A few million quid) is "small change".

Every message board needs a stacker. Thing is, this one's swamped with the whining gits. Oi!
Go on mate start quoting where I'm outraged rather than where I was pointing out what a prat you are for dismissing millions of pounds as "Small change".

Drowning prevention overseas is a laudible aim but there are other charities better placed to serve this ideal. For example, WWF support crocodile and shark conservation.
Erm... you are aware that those creatures often eat swimmers or people floating near their sunken boat awaiting help.

The sad thing is that one negative thing can damage an otherwise worthy charitable group for a long, long time.
I was a American Red Cross volunteer, as a disaster volunteer and a first aid instructor. I later served on the board and as an officer of the Red Cross chapter for the Boston area. My interest in the Red Cross grew from my mother's activity with the Red Cross during WW II, when she drove trucks and ambulances. I know that at a Boston nightclub fire* which killed 492 people she shuttled from the club to the morgue driving trucks filled with bodies.
From my earliest days as a volunteer, when I was 14, I ran into people who hated the Red Cross because their canteens charged 10 cents for coffee and a doughnut during WW II in Europe. No one noticed that the charge was mandated by General Eisenhower because British troops were outraged that Yanks got free coffee while the squaddies had to pay at NAAFI canteens. Whatever the reason, I recall as a teenager going door to door handing out blood drive literature and doors being slammed in my face by people who had been charged for coffee.
I hope that RNLI, a good group, do not get denied donations because they paid for African swimming lessons.

* Coconut Grove fire

Last edited:
Still trying to work out if you are serious or not, in case you are:

A) wouldn't call them superior
B) someone has to
I really do understand what makes a young adult choose to serve their country in one way or another.
But if I was 17 again, and knew what I know now, I probably would'nt choose the Army as a career, definitely would'nt join the Police .
And if I was an RNLI volunteer coming back from a testing shout, and read about a never-served, highly paid, CEO buying burkinis to give to Tanzania, while backing a never-served, well paid, Area Manager who is easily offended rather than the people who get their hands dirty...

I would be a bit miffed, feel somewhat let down by those who pull the strings.

I really do understand what makes a young adult choose to serve their country in one way or another.
But if I was 17 again, and knew what I know now, I probably would'nt choose the Army as a career, definitely would'nt join the Police .
And if I was an RNLI volunteer coming back from a testing shout, and read about a never-served, highly paid, CEO buying burkinis to give to Tanzania, while backing a never-served, well paid, Area Manager who is easily offended rather than the people who get their hands dirty...

I would be a bit miffed, feel somewhat let down by those who pull the strings.
Yet amazingly, those self-same volunteers vounteer to go out to Tanzania (and other places) to help out with the RNLI's mission.

It's almost as though they believe in what they're doing.

Imagine that.

Yet amazingly, those self-same volunteers vounteer to go out to Tanzania (and other places) to help out with the RNLI's mission.

Imagine that.
Do many of them volunteer to leave their real jobs for x amount of time to go abroad?

Imagine that.
If you have followed this entire thread, you will have noted I have absolutely nothing but admiration for the volunteers.
I also stated that a world- class Life saving organisation should be applauded for sharing its knowledge with developing nations .

I have a problem with a CEO , a never served, grossly overpaid ex Advertising manager, spending other peoples gifted money on clothing that is forced on women by a backward ideology.

To add to my post above my Red Cross experiences taught me how a good charity can end up pressured to diverge from their core functions. The Red Cross is chartered by Congress to 1) fulfill US obligations under the Geneva Conventions to aid victims of armed conflict. 2) provide communications and other services to members of military services and their families. 3) coordinate and provide assistance to victims of disasters.
The third item led to providing first aid training and services and to providing water safety programs including swimming lessons and certification of lifeguards. Although there are many branches they are all part of one corporate entity, The American Red Cross.
All over the US there are branches of a charity known as the United Way that collect charitable donations and distributes funds to groups that the local United Way management deem worthy. The Red Cross in each area rely on United Way funds for their programs. From year to year the United Way will change the focus of what they will fund and charities like the Red Cross find themselves virtually forced into activities separate from their core functions. This detracted from work that we were really good at.
When I first was involved the board of my chapter was primarily volunteers working in one of the core area of services with the addition of people from the downtown financial world who could bring in major donations. The United Way in my area a number of years ago decided that a major focus should be ensuring diversity on the governing bodies of charities. As the number of board members was capped I was asked to stand down from the board so they could recruit a woman of color who was a state senator. Having about 40 years of being a Red Cross volunteer I did so for the benefit of our chapter. The state senator who joined the board rarely attended meetings but at least we kept United Way happy. She had been an attorney but stayed on the board after her disbarment after her conviction for tax fraud. She resigned a few years later after the FBI disclosed video of her stuffing $10,000 of a $23,000 bribe into her bra. She resigned from the State Senate before she began her three and a half year sentence to MCI Framingham. Hard to argue with the FBI when they have the video.
wilkerson.jpg

Even worthy charities have a lot to cope with.

If you have followed this entire thread, you will have noted I have absolutely nothing but admiration for the volunteers.
I also stated that a world- class Life saving organisation should be applauded for sharing its knowledge with developing nations .

I have a problem with a CEO , a never served, grossly overpaid ex Advertising manager, spending other peoples gifted money on clothing that is forced on women by a backward ideology.
Mark Dowie, the RNLI’s CEO, is an ex-RN Officer, and was a RNLI Volunteer Ops Manager in Salcombe immediately before taking up his role.

He owned his own maritime company on the South Coast, and then worked in the City.

Mark Dowie, the RNLI’s CEO, is an ex-RN Officer, and was a RNLI Volunteer Ops Manager in Salcombe immediately before taking up his role.

He owned his own maritime company on the South Coast, and then worked in the City.
How long has he held this position ?
The RNLI website link I read, said the CEO was an Advertising Manager, occaisional yacht sailor, and not a word about about previous volunteering.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that Paul Boissier did the usual tours at sea in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s.

He made 3* before retiring.

How long has he held this position ?
The RNLI website link I read, said the CEO was an Advertising Manager, occaisional yacht sailor, and not a word about about previous volunteering.
So you were making shit up?

His CV on he RNLI website has no mention of being an Advertising Manager

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
Ah, classic virtue signalling.

Ahh. I understand now. In classic Snowflakeland, 'virtue signalling' = 'you're a racist.'
Why didn't you just say so?
For the record, if I wanted my money to go to Pakistan and fancy swimming costumes for devout Muslims, why would I donate to the RNLI.?
And why didn't the RNLI declare where the money was going at the point of donation?
Odd that, isn't it.

This may be terribly old fashioned, but I thought buying a sticker helped brave seamen from Cornwall to Peterhead go out in stormy seas to rescue those in peril.

This may be terribly old fashioned, but I thought buying a sticker helped brave seamen from Cornwall to Peterhead go out in stormy seas to rescue those in peril.
It does, unfortunately those at the top of the organisation appear to have no problems with funding overseas work instead of recouping the costs of sharing their expertise.

Latest Threads