RNLI - Overseas Expenditure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
As both a dinghy and occasional offshore sailor, I have always considered a regular donation to the RNLI to be a worthwhile insurance premium for my sport. I have huge respect for their volunteers and what they achieve on a daily basis. However, according to an article in the Times this morning (link to follow) the RNLI have been spending millions on overseas projects including giving out burkinis in some countries and investing in a crèche in Tanzania. This comes at the same time that they are cutting over a hundred of their funded posts and “rationalizing” costal stations in the UK. If this is true, then they have lost the plot any have certainly seen their last donation from me.

I'd like to know how this expenditure falls within their charitable charter.

Overseas “anti-drowning” projects funded by the RNLI include the Panje Project in Tanzania, which gives devout Muslim women and girls full-length burkini swimsuits and swimming lessons. It also funds crèches in Bangladesh, which it claims will prevent children from swimming in the sea.

Spending on foreign projects has risen from £1.13 million to £3.3 million over the past five years and the charity plans to increase annual spending by £400,000 this year.
Oh & the CEO of the RNLI is paid more than the Prime Minister (£188,000).

Time to reconsider my support.

Last edited:

Bob65

Old-Salt
15-odd years ago I was very into sailing - still am a member of a club - and even back then there were rumblings of disquiet over the RNLIs fundraising tactics and spending priorities. The volunteers on the ground are legends but the organisation itself has been rotten for a long time. Same is true of all the big brand-name charities, Oxfam, Cancer Research UK, you name it.

Being a diver for over 25 years I've been a member of the RNLI and is the only charity I donate to.
If true it's time to cancel my subscription.

ETA

I'm very much in support of governmental oversea aid, when it's done correctly. But this is not what I expect my donations to go towards.

Last edited:
So can someone with time and Google-fu tell us what RNLI's charity charter says their purpose is? Is this misuse of donations or not?

It’s always been an oddity that sea rescue in the waters of a maritime nation is in the hands of a charity.

There’s nothing wrong per se with a charity doing this stuff, but it should campaign for its funds in the open market...”for just £2 per month...” etc. If people want to fund stuff like this then they can chip in. But I very much doubt that people who stick money in the RNLI tin at present think this is where their money is going.

Time perhaps for the role of RNLI to be absorbed by the Coast Guard. With ‘retained lifeboatmen’ to maintain the volunteer ethos.

Their website says in 2016 they sent boats and equipment ( not personnel ) to the waters between Greece and Turkey.

Life saving is a noble endeavour ; encouraging people to cross from Turkey to Greece and providing a taxi service is bullshit.

By all means share expertise in life-saving with developing countries, but supporting illegal migration is too much.

clanky

War Hero
A friend was rescued by the RNLI after a yacht delivery went badly pear shaped. Notwithstanding who was at fault for the scenario, my oppo found himself being portrayed in a totally unfair light in various RNLI fundraising media. The trouble is that any justified criticism of the organisation regarding it's inherent nepotism and political correctness is always shouted down as an attack on it brave and professional volunteers.

morsk

LE
As both a dinghy and occasional offshore sailor, I have always considered a regular donation to the RNLI to be a worthwhile insurance premium for my sport. I have huge respect for their volunteers and what they achieve on a daily basis. However, according to an article in the Times this morning (link to follow) the RNLI have been spending millions on overseas projects including giving out burkinis in some countries and investing in a crèche in Tanzania. This comes at the same time that they are cutting over a hundred of their funded posts and “rationalizing” costal stations in the UK. If this is true, then they have lost the plot any have certainly seen their last donation from me.
What the crazy hell. I support RNLI and RSPCA. If this report is true, they can poke it up their bum. I have nothing against Burkinis, but that is not what I donate for. I donate to the brave boys and girls who go out in shoit weather to rescue stranded boats and flids on lilo's. They volunteer their time (unlike basterd firemen who get a kings ransom for doing 6 months of the year, ALL have second jobs yet still strike for more pay, but I digress). The government should be funding this, but it falls to my guilt-geld to fund them. If this is actually true (I will look more closely) then they have had their last quid from this callsign.

In the 90 s my wife’s sister was married to a Ramsey lifeboat man on the IOM.
As a result we went to a couple of their money raising shindigs.
It struck me at the time that under the very virtuous surface ( that rattled the tins) there was a very close knit management who weren’t used to answering to anyone but themselves.
( the “ management” on the top table didn’t mix with anyone else much in the room, I noticed that both times we went. )

Sadly reflecting that, once an organisation gains money and a reputation, it sometimes attracts - at senior levels - the wrong sort of people. What a shame and, in this instance, I wish I hadn't learned this.

Could be a matter for the Charity Commissioners. The rules on the use of funds are quite tight.

What the crazy hell. I support RNLI and RSPCA. If this report is true, they can poke it up their bum. I have nothing against Burkinis, but that is not what I donate for. I donate to the brave boys and girls who go out in shoit weather to rescue stranded boats and flids on lilo's. They volunteer their time (unlike basterd firemen who get a kings ransom for doing 6 months of the year, ALL have second jobs yet still strike for more pay, but I digress). The government should be funding this, but it falls to my guilt-geld to fund them. If this is actually true (I will look more closely) then they have had their last quid from this callsign.
Info here from RNLI. £3.3M spent overseas in 2018 (2% of RNLI annual budget).

I am very sorry to have learned this, if true, I will be writing to them. I would dearly like to cancel my subscription but can't bring myself to do it.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Being a diver for over 25 years I've been a member of the RNLI and is the only charity I donate to.
If true it's time to cancel my subscription.

ETA

I'm very much in support of governmental oversea aid, when it's done correctly. But this is not what I expect my donations to go towards.
Precisely. Overseas aid budget would be all well and good, but I have little doubt that is not what 99.999 percent of RNLI supporters want their donations to be used for.

I won't be giving anymore money to RNLI if this is the case. I thought it was spent on keeping U.K. waters safe, not every fooker else's.

offog

LE
As a child in the 70s our school would run a yearly 20 mile walk to fund RNLI. On one of our school visits to Beauly we spent an hour of two with the crew of the inshore lifeboat we had raised money for and were given joy rides in it. Some old crusties where chuntering about it should not be used to entertain kids till one of the crew pointed out that we had worked very hard over a number of years to fund the boat.

I think the underlying problem is that the RNLI has too much money and does not know what to do with it. If an organisation has just enough to cover its costs it is careful how it spend that money.

I can see some benefit in the overseas schemes funded by the RNLI. It would be better if this was made clear up front in some way.
The overseas aid implies that the RNLI is flush with cash, or cannot spend £3.3M in the UK. This is not a good message. There have to be some UK stations, etc which would benefit from investment.