RNLI Longhope - Mar 17 is the 50th Anniversary of the loss of the whole crew

On the night of 17th March 1969 The Longhope lifeboat, TGB, answered a call for help from MV Irene, in difficulty off South Ronaldsay, Orkney - none of them returned

The Heroes of Longhope | Orkney.com

'In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy there was no ready-formed crew to carry on. They only ever had a regular crew and a handful of others who would step in if needed. There was never any suggestion that the station would close however. Within a week, even before the funerals, men had come forward to be trained.'

I am extremely proud to say that my brother is a serving crewmember of the current lifeboat, the Helen Comrie - as you can see from their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RNLI-Longhope-Lifeboat-166959070037966/ , they continue to launch regularly - the men and women who do this don't get paid and often (like my brother) have no sailing/seaman background but in my opinion all are real heroes!

Last edited:
So true.

Unpaid heroes who put their life on the line as the Longhope loss shows.

A few years back I watched a program on the Penlee lifeboat disaster. Have to fess up that it brought a tear to my eyes when the helicopter pilot was describing what he saw. Extract from Wikipedia:

Lt Cdr Smith USN, the pilot of the rescue helicopter, later reported that
The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen, and am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee [crew] when it manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60 ft breakers and rescued four people shortly after the Penlee had been bashed on top of the casualty's hatch covers. They were truly the bravest eight men I've ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI.

The worlds worst lifeboat disaster occurred off Southport on 9th December 1886 when the sailing barque Mexico foundered off Southport during a massive storm. The Southport lifeboat "Eliza Fearnley" and St Annes "Laura Janet" were called out and the two lifeboats went alongside the Mexico.

The heavy seas made the Mexico wallow and it she collided with both lifeboats, flipping the Eliza Fearnley over. The Laura Janet was also similarly hit. 6 men off the Southport boat survived but only 2 made it safely to shore. A third St Annes lifeboat later rescued all 12 of the Mexicos sailors. The disaster led to the first street charity collection.

The disaster also led to the RNLI inventing self-righting lifeboats.

The bodies of the crews (mostly comprising of local fishermen) were laid out in a pub, the Fishermans Rest, which IIRC was once managed by the comedian John Bishop.

My best mate (we've known each other since age 3) and I are related to the bos'n - we didn't know until we saw the local exhibition and there was a picture of him in all his lifeboatman glory and I did some research on Ancestry.

BBC - Liverpool - Capital of Culture - Southport lifeboat disaster

Southport and St Anne's lifeboats disaster - Wikipedia

edited for inclusion of more info

edited a second time to correct date

Last edited:
The worlds worst lifeboat disaster occurred off Southport on 9th December 1886 when the sailing barque Mexico foundered off Southport during a massive storm. The Southport lifeboat "Eliza Fearnley" and St Annes "Laura Janet" were called out and the two lifeboats went alongside the Mexico.

The heavy seas made the Mexico wallow and it she collided with both lifeboats, flipping the Eliza Fearnley over. The Laura Janet was also similarly hit. 6 men off the Southport boat survived but only 2 made it safely to shore. A third St Annes lifeboat later rescued all 12 of the Mexicos sailors. The disaster led to the first street charity collection.

The disaster also led to the RNLI inventing self-righting lifeboats.

The bodies of the crews (mostly comprising of local fishermen) were laid out in a pub, the Fishermans Rest, which IIRC was once managed by the comedian John Bishop.

My best mate (we've known each other since age 3) and I are related to the bos'n - we didn't know until we saw the local exhibition and there was a picture of him in all his lifeboatman glory and I did some research on Ancestry.

BBC - Liverpool - Capital of Culture - Southport lifeboat disaster

edited for inclusion of more info

edited a second time to correct date
I was in St Anne,s last week and visited the memorial and lifeboat station. Come low tide its a 2 1/2 mile drive to the sea from the station which is something.

A charity worth your time.

For those interested there is an app that shows all the launches for you phone or notebook. Some days its amazing how many shouts they attend.

I was in St Anne,s last week and visited the memorial and lifeboat station. Come low tide its a 2 1/2 mile drive to the sea from the station which is something.
The station which served the Eliza Fearnley is nearing its demise now, 131 years after the disaster. I think the reason being is that the tractor and trailer for the RiB is too big for the building. The current lifeboat (which is not sponsored by the RNLI) is having a new lifeboat station erected quite near the sea wall, which at low tide is still a way from the sea. At high tide the sea comes up to the sea wall.

As always, the lads and lasses who crew all lifeboats must be the bravest people we have - they go out in all weathers and situations and deserve all the support they get, whether they be RNLI or independent lifeboat crews.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
longhope.jpg