RN to help stranded tourists

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fertman, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was a report on R4 that the RN may be mobilised to get British tourists stuck abroad back home. That has me completely.....can't find the appropriate word.

2. Up the creek without a paddle?

3. What Browns committing both boats !
    john

Yeah I know they are Ships.

4. Nah he popped down Argos and got some rubber Dinghy's on 2 for £15

5. 0

I didn`t realise the RN was that large after Brown`s cuts.

6. It's all talk. It sound good and might make people think that the government id doing something. By the time tey get Invincible ready it will all be over.

7. I believe the MoD thinking was that they could make a few quid by following Ryanair policy re. snacks and excess baggage and doing a detour via Ascencion Island

8. Why the fuck should the UK taxpayer be picking up the bill for stranded holidaymakers?

Are we suddenly made of money or did I not hear that we were billions in debt.

You get stuck abroad? Tough shit, some of those very same taxpayers cannot afford overseas trips.

9. Couldn't agree more Rafair. That one-eyed twerp has just been on the radio....it's definitely on, and seems to be the biggest naval exercise since the Falklands....obviously desperate to get some floating voters!!!

10. From BBC Monday, 19 April 2010 10:02 UK
    Royal Navy ships to return Britons stranded by volcano
    Three Royal Navy ships will be drafted to help return Britons stranded abroad as UK airspace remains restricted.

The move was announced as the UK's emergency committee Cobra met to discuss options in addressing travel chaos caused by a volcanic ash cloud.

The ships HMS Ark Royal, HMS Ocean and HMS Albion have been pressed into action and are heading for Spain and unspecified Channel ports.

Flight restrictions were extended to at least 0100 BST Tuesday.

Travel agents' association Abta said its "rough estimate" was that 150,000 Britons are currently stranded abroad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8628878.stm

HMS Albion was deployed to Spain to return members of the 3 Rifles regiment to the UK, as they remain stranded on their way back from Afghanistan.

11. Okay so they are shipping them in from Spain

Why cant the airlines bus them from spain via the channel tunnel ?

Cost a damn sight less.

12. Airlines don't get votes

13. God Bless Broon in his desparate attempt to get a bit of PR. Rumour has it that young Able Semenwoman Faye Turney will be on security duty as folk look to board the Ark, Albion & Ocean. Forget Biometric passports all you need now is an iPod or a deportation note from Sangatte refugee camp to get to the UK courtesy of the RN. Pathetic waste of Taxpayers money. Pity they could not use the same resources to treat ex WWII veterans to a trip to France and billet them onboard for a few days & treat them. That would be a lot more morally right & would be happy to see my tax money used that way.