RN & RM Tattoo Policy Change

In my day, all we had to worry about was lamb chop sideburns getting out of control. That and haircuts that, while strictly legal as they were above the ears and collar, were so bouffant that they made the offending matelot look like an Elvis impersonator.

It's not just ratings either. I've seen a photo of a URNU Midshipman c. 1969 in 5J uniform with shoulder length hair. I knew another Mid who, in a fit of smart arrsery declared that QRRN allowed him to have long hair as long as he tied it in a pig tail. He was right. So was the Master at Arms when he informed the little sh1te that he'd have to tar it every day and he'd have to buy his own tar.

Did Simon and Garfunkel sack you from the songwriting job or did you resign ?
Woo woo woo

There may be more fluent Latin speakers on ARRSE than ARRSErs who got the reference.

In my day, all we had to worry about was lamb chop sideburns getting out of control.
The Naval anthropologists called the Elvis impersonators ‘Leanderman’. Was that you?

I think at one time there was an ancient dress reg that matelots, male, could wear an ear ring in one ear?
Just curious but is there actually a regulation that says male members of the armed forces – regardless of which service – are not allowed to wear studs in their ears?

A regulation that states a female member of the armed forces may wear a single ear stud doesn’t mean male personnel cannot.

The Naval anthropologists called the Elvis impersonators ‘Leanderman’. Was that you?
No, but I'm delighted to see that CPO Joel Miggler has just been appointed buffer on one of the Type 45s. As can be seen, he is able to feed the head rope through the holes in his cheeks and use his teeth as a brake when checking away when getting under way.

Joel tells us that the holes on his nose are ideal for connecting an air hose during damage control exercises so he doesn't need a mask for his BA. Also, the holes in his ears are great for his boyfriend to hang on to when he's in a dark corner of the Senior Rates' mess and he's getting done up the ar...... <MOD EDIT>DO I NEED TO TELL YOU AGAIN MARINER? DO I?</MOD EDIT>

In my day, all we had to worry about was lamb chop sideburns getting out of control. That and haircuts that, while strictly legal as they were above the ears and collar, were so bouffant that they made the offending matelot look like an Elvis impersonator.
Ah yes, happy memories of Jumping Jimmy Thunder in Portland (Weymouth). So crap he was brilliant. And, who can forget the Elvis verse in the Lobster Song?

"Oh she grabbed the squee- gee" ♪ ♩ da-dum "I grabbed the broom" ♪ ♩ da-dum "...and we chased the fcuking lobster, round and round the fcuking room" ?

Then there was the polo shirts, collars-up. There are still knobs who do this. Usually upper yardie clankies in the wardroom, wearing red Chinos.

Sigh. I s'pose you had to be there, really. ;)

In my day ... I knew another Mid who, in a fit of smart arrsery declared that QRRN allowed him to have long hair as long as he tied it in a pig tail. He was right. So was the Master at Arms when he informed the little sh1te that he'd have to tar it every day and he'd have to buy his own tar.
In my day it was a spunky on HMS Liverpool that wanted the "traditional" look and the story was there was an old Chiefy at Collingwood who was the last to still be allowed to wear an ear-ring

We used to have a WAFU who had his nipples peirced, way before the young thrusters of today, he was part of the flightdeck firefighting team, that would of not ended to well had he got a tad warm.

We used to have a WAFU who had his nipples peirced, way before the young thrusters of today, he was part of the flightdeck firefighting team, that would of not ended to well had he got a tad warm.
I heard a story of a girl who had her nipples/belly button/labia (depending on what version of the story you heard) pierced and collapsed during a BSSC/Fire Ex/fire (depending on what version you heard).

Did Simon and Garfunkel sack you from the songwriting job or did you resign ?
"I'd rather be a paedo than a matelot,
if I could, I surely would"

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Then shall he strip himself and show his tats ..

(Shakespeare, brought up to date).

Just curious but is there actually a regulation that says male members of the armed forces – regardless of which service – are not allowed to wear studs in their ears?

A regulation that states a female member of the armed forces may wear a single ear stud doesn’t mean male personnel cannot.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/626107/2017-03109.pdf

it's all terribly sexist and don't even start on what it means to the gender fluid/confused/weird.