• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

RN & RM Tattoo Policy Change

For those interested, matelots and bootnecks can now have tattoos on their hands and as long as no tattoos are visible on the face, head or neck in a forward facing passport photo when wearing a polo shirt (top button undone) they're OK to join. As long as the tattoos aren't obscence or offensive. Obvs.

Another Navy first :D

We 're getting closer to equality, I guess. Except females are allowed tattooed eyebrows and lip liner, can wear ear studs and have long hair. Other than that, yip, equality reigns.

I'd still rather be a paedophile than a matelot.

For those interested, matelots and bootnecks can now have tattoos on their hands and as long as no tattoos are visible on the face, head or neck in a forward facing passport photo when wearing a polo shirt (top button undone) they're OK to join. As long as the tattoos aren't obscence or offensive. Obvs.

We 're getting closer to equality, I guess. Except females are allowed tattooed eyebrows and lip liner, can wear ear studs and have long hair. Other than that, yip, equality reigns.
That’ll chuff an old colleague he’s had shed loads of laser treatment to remove his hand tats so he can rejoin

Having watched the Rasta steward on the QE doc on TV I just would of loved to have been the white Rasta on my ship, the Reggie staff would of gone ballistic

Giz a link so I can annoy him

I think at one time there was an ancient dress reg that matelots, male, could wear an ear ring in one ear?

I'd still rather be a paedophile than a matelot.
Just because you are ashamed your mother hasnt worked out which of her clients you have to call daddy...

That’ll chuff an old colleague he’s had shed loads of laser treatment to remove his hand tats so he can rejoin
That made I laugh :)
Giz a link so I can annoy him
It's on a soon to be released RNTM from NavSec. As a rejoin I guess he knew the rules when he was first serving so sympathy can be located in it's usual place in the dictionary, I guess.

Wonder if it hurt more getting the ink or the laser?

Was that the job offer after sitting the BARB test?
Close, the choices were: RE Geo Tech, Royal Signals Technician, REME Avionics Technician or Paedophile (Black Watch).

The excellent topic was for this being the funniest thread on ARRSE at the moment.

It’s difficult to think of another thread that was diverted off piste in post #2.

Last edited:
One thing that makes me chuckle, (beside the paedo thead-drift) the change in tattoo policy is that the RN reckons we turned-away about 300 enquirers due to the previous policy over the last 18 months. How? I know not.

They now want us to contact these people.

Two teensy-weeny problems.

1. For those who walked into an AFCO to ask about joining and were TTFO, we didn't say "Oh, leave us your contact details in case anything changes. And mind the door doesn't bang the back of your head on the way out"

2. Those in the recruiting system rejected for having ineligible tattoos were meticulously logged on the TAFMIS TRHJ software. The one we erased last month. The new RN version of the DRS software doesn't have a Business Information data extraction function.

Anyway, back to paedos.....

One thing that makes me chuckle, (beside the paedo thead-drift) the change in tattoo policy is that the RN reckons we turned-away about 300 enquirers due to the previous policy over the last 18 months. How? I know not.

They now want us to contact these people.

Two teensy-weeny problems.

1. For those who walked into an AFCO to ask about joining and were TTFO, we didn't say "Oh, leave us your contact details in case anything changes. And mind the door doesn't bang the back of your head on the way out"

2. Those in the recruiting system rejected for having ineligible tattoos were meticulously logged on the TAFMIS TRHJ software. The one we erased last month. The new RN version of the DRS software doesn't have a Business Information data extraction function.

Anyway, back to paedos.....
Yebbut, Shirley you'll remember who they were . . . ?