RN & RM Death in Service grant increase.

Farnsworth.jpg

The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity (RNRMC) has announced that it will increase the ‘Death in Service’ grant for all Royal Navy personnel.

It was decided that the amount available should be increased from £12k to £15k, bringing the Naval service into line with the two other armed forces’ grants.

Just think what you your loved-ones can buy with that extra £3K Bargain.

For those unfortunate enough to experience the death of a serving loved one, the RNRMC will now provide a £15k support grant, with the intention of helping a naval family through a difficult period in their lives.

Grants are applied for via the RNRMC website at The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity | Home

that is a bit weird that they were different. £3k though is £3k.
Agreed.

There used to be an RN Dependants Fund (RNDF) which you could opt to join for about 50P a month. Some did, some didn't. It paid out £10K to cover funeral expenses.

It then bizarrely switched to a charity, entitling everyone. I'd have thought (hoped) it was actually covered by AFCS - possibly it is and this is an additional thing.

As most people are aware, many service people PAX Life Insurance, and pay additional permiums when operationally deployed, hence the phrase "PAX to the Max". I always admire Marine David Hart for his forethought in this issue.

As most people are aware, many service people PAX Life Insurance, and pay additional permiums when operationally deployed, hence the phrase "PAX to the Max". I always admire Marine David Hart for his forethought in this issue.
I was at his re-repatriation, part of the eulogy was about how he was making enquiries about booking vehicles and hotels in Vegas, it was supposed to be an end of tour trip for them all. They probably thought it was all off when he was killed.

Out of curiousity does it cover RFA sailors when on ship?

Im expecting no, not that I feel we are the RNs ginger step child or anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Out of curiousity does it cover RFA sailors when on ship?

Im expecting no, not that I feel we are the RNs ginger step child or anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
My initial instinct was to say "Unlucky, Ginge" however I suspect it is a question worth making a phonecall about. The charity states the following:

RNRMC said:
In practical terms, the RNRMC is a fundraising and grant-making charity. This means it delivers its charitable outputs through dispensing grants to:
  • Other naval charities
  • Military charities
  • Other charities with naval beneficiaries
  • Ships, units and personnel of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines and Auxiliaries
  • Individual serving personnel and veterans through the RNOC and RMCTF

That is a bit low is it not? At the company i work for it is 10 x salary plus pension pot. 15k sounds rather crap for the family.

The RAF Dependants' Fund (50p pm) pays out about £15,000 within a day or so of the member's death. It is paid directly into the account of the NOK (in the past it could also paid in cash) to tide the NOK and dependants over until pensions etc are released. Especially important when the SP controls the spending, knows the PINs, has the cheque-book so to speak. It is independent of any other benefits and is tax free. For those on AFPS 75, Death in Service benefit is 3 x salary.