RN Reggies

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by aes69, Nov 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the RM video incident, I was under the impression the RMP would have been the lead investigators, but I've recently been informed the RN SIB were dealing. I thought the RN regs were only trained to a certain standard passing all major cases to RMP. Can anyone shed any light on what powers the regs have and who takes on their major investigations?
  2. The RN has its own SIB section which completes the same training as the RAFP and RMP SIB All having the same powers of investigation and arrest although the Navy has a lot less in the way of man power than the other two services. 3 Cdo Bde has its own policing provided by the RM Police Troop and attached to that it's own SIB Det. If my memory serves me correctly this Det was drawn from both RMP and the Navy and was no more than 3 or 4 SNCO's with a Warrant Officer/Officer as its det commander. As to who is investigating? Could be either the Bdes own Det or could be the Navy's Det at Plymouth depending on who the alligations were reported to and who has been tasked to investigate by the Provost Marshal (Navy) office.
  3. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I thought the RM were subject to the Army Act when shore based and the Naval Act when....well on board or whatever you call it. I would think the RM Police (better trained AND PRACTICED) than the Reggies who frankly are post orderlies trained to be service police.
  4. Why would the RN be subject to the Army Act when on shore, surely the only time they're bound by any of the other Acts (which are all basically the same anyway) is if they are Att/Det to another service and promulgated in orders.

Thanks for the gen on regs by the way folks.
  5. The booties do come under the army act I think you'll find. The RN come under the Naval Discipline Act but isn't the whole thing changing to become a Tri-Service Act?
  6. As far as I can make out the RN Regulating Branch have the same training and Powers as the RMPs and RAFP - the only difference is that it recruits from within the RN (like the club swingers) and they have to have achieved a minomum rate of Leading Hand (Corporal) before they transfer. I don't think they are in any way less trained or practised - in fact they'll all be training together at the old Dryad site near Portsmouth soon anyway.

As for being subject to the Army Act, that's only when they're attached to Army units I believe (it may be the RM that have the split?), in the same way Army personnel attached to RN units are subject to the NDA (Naval Discipline Act). Ashore or at sea, its NDA all the way! In the past it has made for some interesting situations, where for instance something not covered by the Army Act is treated as an offence by the NDA, so squaddy goes up before the mast for an offence they didn't even realise was one! I think there's going to be a new tri-service discipline act soon anyway...