RN rank slides

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by gorilla, Feb 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question, have just seen a RN officer with red bands on his rank slide, whats it about?
  2. He's a sugeon, one apon a time all RN officers had different colours between thier stripes depending on what there branch was, Now only sugeons and dentists keep it like that.

Other colours were; (i may be wrong)

Engineers - Purple
    Electrical engineer - Green
    Purser (loggie) - White
    Dentist - salmon or pink (?)
    *more added*
    Its in here
  3. they are a doctor.
  4. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

5. Saw someone with purple on their rank slides in a motorway services the other week - did have a brief moment of worry that I'd just saluted the man who counts cars on for P&O or something until I noticed his ID card holder for a large defence organisation. At least I know why he had multi-coloured rank now!
  6. What makes me laugh are the RN Desert DPM slides. Mad idea...
  7. Not so, I could have used them in Telic 2.
  8. The RFA still use the coloured slides for all their branches save Deck officers, might have been one of those?
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I think our docs and dentists kept their Distinction Cloth as some sort of Geneva Convention thing. The others lost theirs in 1956 when they achieved the right to Command status, for instance of shore stations, and the Executive Branch was rebranded as Seaman. AFO 1/56 refers, copy in the Admiralty Library in Portsmouth.
  10. Maybe, would they be working for DE&S? He was in a standard kind of naval uniform - black trousers, white shirt and dark blue or black jumper with rank on his shoulder. Three lines and a loop from memory.
  11. rather more approriate for many than DPM rank slides for fat Cadet Force officers
  12. The Geneva Convention recognises only the Red Cross, the Red Crescent, the Red Diamond, and (I think) the Red Lion.

Edited to add: Don't Naval Constructors have a grey band between their gold rings?
  13. Never seen a RN medic in the sandpit then?

Or is it just my imagination that one got a MC on H9?
  14. Certainly did in 1988. Don't think they get issued uniform any more. Another bit of history sunk into the mediocre PC hum-drum of MoD CS.
  15. They do, but only for use overseas.