RN Officer admits to tears after Russian Sub rescue.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rajaz, Aug 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Commander Ian Riches, the Naval officer who headed the rescue team, fought back tears as he described the emotional scenes which unfolded as the Russian crew were saved". (Daily Telegraph).

What will the Admiralty say?

Flippancy aside, well done to all.

Isn't it ironic that the world's attention has been grabbed by 7 people in space and
    7 men trapped under the ocean. Forget famine, war and terrorism ... we want heroes.
    Suspect that there would have been a few more tears if NASA hadn't pulled through, though.

Can't remember any R.A.F. officers breaking down though ......
    Just wait a mo', while I take cover ...

2. Listening to the Dark blue job on the radio, I think he must have overdosed on Patriotic Tear Flakes. Not exactly Senior Service behaviour!

3. Hmmmmm remedial stiff upper lip PT perhaps? :D

A bloody fine show by the Navy in any event , I don't think he's a wuss, just decompressing. God bless him and his team.

4. Hang on a minute. They used a bleedin' remote control sub! Leading Seaman Metal Mickey should be getting the praise here!

Read the story from BBC here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4750089.stm

(edit to put in correct link!)

5. How many RN or RAF SAR crews start blubbing like a little girl with a grazed knee when they've gotten the job done and rescued a boat crew away from certain death? Well done you, but ffs get a grip.

6. Not belittling what they they did (their job); if we can't go out, do what we're trained to do and come back without confessing to a bunch of hacks how emotional we felt about it then perhaps we shoudn't be doing the job in the first place.

....The end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and to know the place for the first time....

7. A good job done by all involved - well done!!

But...

A RN Rescue ??

Remote controlled sub operated by CIVVIES

Flown there by the RAF

Movements team, security, interpreter - all RAF

Oh and the only RN involvement? The tearful Commander from the IPT - that's it!

Credit where credit is due - surely?

8. Might not be the wisest thing to try and give RAF movers any credit for anything on this site mate.

9. He was crying - in the fine tradition of the Royal Navy - because he wasn't getting any booty or salvage rights!

;) :twisted:

10. The only reason the Crabs went was to claim full benefits and it allowed them to cancel a flight to Basra, thereby fulfilling the RAF mission of pi55ing the Army of as much as possible.

11. "The only reason the Crabs went was to claim full benefits and it allowed them to cancel a flight to Basra, thereby fulfilling the RAF mission of pi55ing the Army of as much as possible"

Dick! How else would you get 23 tonnes of kit the other side of the world in that space of time! And just what full benefits are you talking about, living in the back of the aircraft for 2 days?

And as much as it would p**s me off too, a delayed flight or 7 human lives? Didn't you sign up to save life not just take it?

12. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Oh dear,
    Someone needs to learn humour

13. I joined for the glamour, fast cars and hot women. Imagine my disappointment!

Oh yes and the God given right to slag the "Military" arm of EasyJet, oh yes - and laugh at blubbing fish-heads.

Now a mate of mine played Rugby at Yale (they try - you have to give them taht)

On the front it had "YALE RUGBY" in big letters above a big cartoon of a Bulldog's head. Beneath that in equally big letters it said

"BIG MEN CRY!" and in smaller letters beneath it

"and we laugh at them"

14. Calm down old chap, he's trying to get a laugh and if you're expecting the RAF to be treated with respect here you're in for a bitter disappointment. I suggest you go and put in a demand for a sense of humour ASAP. Your rant will only fuel the argument over 5* hotels vs muddy/sandy holes in the ground. (I say they should've worked harder in school, but what the hell.)

Besides, they were in a C17, not a Chipmunk, and I'm guessing the hotels on the Kamchatka Penisula would run a distant second in terms of comfort and amenities anyway. I don't know about you, but I never had a problem gonking on those lovely webbing seats and I imagine their pain was eased considerably by copious amounts of vodka.

Now run along and pick up your teddys, there's a good boy.