Nether should be in charge of a group of ORs putting an 18 x 24 up

Army types should be politely listened to then ignored

Simplest way to deal is.

1. On land RM officer is in charge
2. On grey things RN officer is probably in charge

Nether should be in charge of a group of ORs putting an 18 x 24 up

Army types should be politely listened to then ignored
My bold, I can see where you're coming from there! :grin:

ISTR that the higher status for RM Officers only applied when serving at sea. I also recall a Booty Major at a Flag HQ appealing to the COS to upgrade his car parking space to the Commanders' bit as he ranked with them.

"Show me the oggin Royal and I'll tell the gate staff to make it so"

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Apparently the RM don't warrant putting on the poster!

Interesting officer rank of RN Warrant Officer
That's a properly old poster, that's why. Warrant Officers - who aligned with WO1 and WO2 Army types - were known as Fleet CPOs.

As they are no army WOs on that poster, shouldn't they have shown a midshipman?
Another irregularity - Mid weren't commissioned Officers at that point either.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
At some point long ago Lts of over eight years' seniority were given an extra half stripe. Later (?1914) they were officially titled Lt Cdr. At this point some insolent Pongo wag described them as Spunyarn Majors.

I seem to remember my father (a Cold War matelot) saying the one up rule only applied to RM Officers aboard ship.
I remember being told that when I was kid when i was in the military proper (Sea Cadets).

Interesting officer rank of RN Warrant Officer
I think that RN rank should be Commisoned Warrant Officer/ They were ex rankers with oil under their finger nail types.

I

In_my_day

Thanks - presumably dating back to the days of Lieutenants promoting to Commander (hence introduction of the Lt Cdr rank to bridge this). Did the RM have Majors or did their Lieutenants go straight to Lt Col as well prior to this point?
Lt Commander comes, I believe, more from the older "Lt in Command [of the ship] i.e. the Captain of a smaller vessel such as a sloop or small frigate (not Ships of the Line).

QUOTE="Archimedes, post: 7110648, member: 94"]
RM Field Marshal = Really, old chap? Really? [stand fast Royalty]I don't think the RM have ever had FM rank. The Captain General (Phil the Greek) wears FM dress though.

... led to the decision to align RM ranks with the Army in 1999. 1998? Pretty sure my OC in 1998 was a Maj.
[/QUOTE]

The older rank alignment caused some strange anomalies in Cdo units. CO= Col A/Lt Col, 2i/c Lt Col A/Major, Senior Coy Commander Maj (equiv Army Lt Col). The last Col COs & Lt Col 2i/cs didn't go until the early-mid 2000s. e.g. Lt Gen Gordon Messenger was Col CO of 40 on Telic.

IMD

I

In_my_day

A mate of mine in trade training was ex Royal Marines. He claimed that a buck-**** marine was the equivalent of an Army corporal.
IMD a "Mne First Class A" was paid more than an Army L/Cpl. L/Cpl was an appointment not; at that time; a rank and if you had not passed JCC you were inevitably reverted to Mne if drafted.

IMD

Army Major ranks lower than the ship's cat.