RN/Army equivalent ranks?

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by PepperSeaDog, May 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello ARRSE,
    I'm joining the Navy soon (rating) and I was wondering if anyone knew what the equivalent ranks/rates are in the Army? Just, my brother's in the army and I'd like to know if I'd ever outrank him ;)
  2. The RN seem to have an obsession with teling people that an able rate outranks or is equivilant to an Army L/Cpl. I don't buy it personally.

Btw, look on wikipedia for the answer to your question, the lord helps them as helps themselves and all that.
  3. Unless your brother is a Major, I predict that your first job on your first draft (Posting) will be Captain of the Heads.
    Mission Accomplished.
  4. No, you'll never outrank him. He will always be better than you.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Take no notice of that lot.

Army Royal Navy
    Private Chief Petty Officer
    Gunner Sub Lieutenant
    Craftsman Commodore
    Airtrooper Rear Admiral
    Signalman Admiral Of The Fleet
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Ignore the nasty men. They're just bitter and jealous because they have realised that they made poor career decisions in early life.

It is thought tht Samuel Johnson once wrote "Every man things meanly fo himself for not being or soldier or having gone to sea." What he actually wrote was "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having gone to sea." The quotation was altered in his autobiography by the Duke of Wellington, who regretted that his decision not to join the Navy meant he never fulfilled his true potential.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. "watch and shoot, watch and shoot"
  8. Able 2nd Class= Pvt
    Able 1st Class= L/CPl
    Leading Hand= Cpl

The rest- look them up on wikipedia there all there on the OR grades
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And while you are at it, don't forget that in the RAF 3 stripes with a crown over is equivalent to an army Warrant Officer 2 :)
  10. Glad its all over is right, same goes for SAC as well, AB2,AB1, and SAC = tom. Had the same nonsense before with jolly jack and crabair trying to gate crash the Cpls mess, at least Jolly jack was a good laugh though.
  11. That, Sir, is total bollocks.

MY Flight Sergeants used to call me SIR when I was a WO2. In return, I used to call them Flight Sergeant.

Show me the warrant signed by the Secretary of State for Defence for a Flight Sergeant, please.

tac, every rank, NCO and officer, from Pte to A/Lt Col
  12. That Sir is you being caught hook line and sinker, welldone Aul Yin!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Actually, according to the tri-service parity posters up everywhere, Leading Hand is not equal to a Corporal. An LH sits beneath a Full Screw.
  14. How odd. The RN Ranks and Rates presentation I sat through, yet again, on Thursday says otherwise. So either an RM Corporal sits beneath an Army one or your parity posters are pish.