RN and RM Reading list

QRK2

LE
Mike Lunnon Wood " King's Shilling",
"Jackspeak",
"A Sense of Honor" James Webb - Annapolis in the midst of Vietnam. Brilliant book. Webb was the most highly decorated marine of the Vietnam War. He became a US senator & Secretary of the Navy in the Reagan administration.
"Aircraft Carrier" John Winton. FAA in the Pacific
... in fact anything by John Winton should fit,

+ "The Rules of The Game" Andrew Gordon if it hasn't already been mentioned.

I've not read A Sense of Honor, but I'll get as if it's at least half as good as 'Thin Grey Line' was about West Point at the time it will be good.

... in fact anything by John Winton should fit,

+ "The Rules of The Game" Andrew Gordon if it hasn't already been mentioned.

I've not read A Sense of Honor, but I'll get as if it's at least half as good as 'Thin Grey Line' was about West Point at the time it will be good.
It's one of the books I'd save in a fire.

Mike Lunnon Wood " King's Shilling",
"Jackspeak",
"A Sense of Honor" James Webb - Annapolis in the midst of Vietnam. Brilliant book. Webb was the most highly decorated marine of the Vietnam War. He became a US senator & Secretary of the Navy in the Reagan administration.
"Aircraft Carrier" John Winton. FAA in the Pacific

Didn't know about Webb s decorations
Fields of Fire was a cracking book about a year in Vietnam with a USMC Rifle Platoon.

A country such as this was about candidates from Anapolis set over twenty or thirty years.

Brilliant books and got me a grade A General Studies I am sure

QRK2

LE
Didn't know about Webb s decorations
Fields of Fire was a cracking book about a year in Vietnam with a USMC Rifle Platoon.

A country such as this was about candidates from Anapolis set over twenty or thirty years.

Brilliant books and got me a grade A General Studies I am sure
I'd add Philip Caputo's A Rumor(sic) of War to that list wrt the USMC in the early days of the American Vietnam war.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am currently reading Atlantic Rendezvous by William Murray. His ship, the SS Tribesman, was captured and sunk by the Admiral Scheer in 1940. He was interned and later successfully escaped.
So far an excellent read, well worth picking up a copy.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
CNO Reading Roadmap: NAVY PROFESSIONAL READING PROGRAM

The revised reading list for the US Navy. Some interesting reads in there.
An interesting list of which I possess several titles. In passing I note that the USN still thinks it won the war of 1812 in which the RN reduced the infant US to bankruptcy. I suggest the admiral adds Andrew Lambert's 'The Challenge' to his list.

This thread is for people to suggest reading material for those connected to the RN and RM, it will be moderated strongly to keep it on track.

Can be a book, web page or blog.

Example:

"On Killing" and "On Combat" by Lt Col Dave Grossman

Both books deal with the science and psychology of killing, not in an abstract manner but the effects or and how to train someone to kill. It gives the reader an understanding of what it takes, the way of training out the moral repulsion to kill and importantly the ways that professional who may have to kill in the line of duty can cope with it.

or

Blog - Thin Pinstriped Line

Written by an ARRSE poster it covers major defence issues providing an alternative view to MSM.

So please feel free to add your thoughts.
A bit late but excellent thread. Well done.

Latest Threads