RMR or 4 Para?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by jp987, Aug 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've already spent a year in UOTC, and have decided that I want to leave in order to pursue something a bit more challenging. I'm looking at both the RMR and 4 para (I'm not really interested in the local TA infantry unit). Altough I've yet to visit either unit, the general impression that I get is that the RMR is much more student-heavy in numbers, whereas it seems like being a student is 4 para is quite unusual. On the other hand, the RMR looks much more demanding in terms of time and commitment, which could cause difficulties with my degree. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions?
  2. msr

msr LE

Make sure your degree is your number 1 priority.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Msr is spot on. Look after your future first. Both RMR and 4 Para are very time intensive, and you will be setting yourself up for a hard time with either of them when you try to juggle your studies and the training requirements.

From my understanding of it, the RMR recruit course lasts about a year or so, but I will leave it to those with first hand knowledge to confirm the details.

4 Para is currently 9 weekends over 4 months, plus 2 weeks for CIC and P Coy. This may be increasing to 12 over 6 months in the near future, but this has yet to be confirmed. These weekends are compulsory - picking and chosing is not an option, and leads to failure. In addition to this, you will need to attend every Tuesday night through this period, and should be conducting at least 5 good quality phys sessions in your own time each week. 4 Para has plenty of students on the books, with varying degrees of success with regards to managing the army/study relationship.

Visit both, see which one you think would suit you best and then do a very honest appreciation of how much time you have available to you.
  4. Why not join your local inf unit in the meantime, using the time you still have at uni to concentrate on your degree then if your still of a mind to, transfer to 4 para?
  5. Dont know about RMR but before I joined the TA I went down to 4para in White City for an insight evening. It would be worth ringing them up as theyll offer you to go down on their next insight evening. Lasts about 2 hours with a drink afterwards, where you can chat/ask questions etc. I met one para student there and there were a few who were looking to join. Personally I didnt join as about 95% of the potential recruits were ex-reg or current TA, thought i'd join a local regiment first.
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I think you may have made a bit of a mistake there. We have a reasonable proportion of ex Reg and transferees from other areas of the TA, but most are still first time applicants without previous experience.

You will now have to do basic training with your local Regiment, and then join along with a 4 Para recruit cadre if you decide to tranfer in just to build up your phys.

Do it right, do it once!
  7. There are other units, why focus on the RMR or the paras?? I'm sure they are good units, but don't dismiss the rest. i'm not sure what degree you are studying but i believe RMR expect a high level of commitment, which could interfer with your studies. if you are in London (guess) then there are loads of other units around to choose from.

i believe 4 para do some kind of gap year commision for students so u might have quite a few there.

let us know how you get on.

8. Students are very common in 4 Para, in fact there are times when around 50% of our blokes are students, who have joined at Uni before going onto Regular commissions. We also have many transfers from UOTC units too. You'll find many in the same position as yourself if you go for it.

The system and the head shed is very familiar with dealing with the likes of yourself.
  9. duke are you a member of 4 para at white city? i have a medical there on sep2nd.
  10. Aaah sorry duke.All the guys I spoke with there had military experience so I just presumed the rest had too.Im getting good at throwings statistics round and getting them completely wrong.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Could be! :D

PM me if you have any questions.