RMQ RASP

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by merlin162, Feb 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have a RASP/ briefing notes etc on their computer that I can use as a template for my RMQ as the STT have stopped issuing them......

Any help would be most greatfully received........

2. Just started your RMQ at 51?

3. Hope I've done this right & it is of some use.

Edited several times as I'm an E Donkey!

Attached Files:

4. how long is the RMQ Cse ??

5. or LDRTC???????

The second week end starts this following weekend?????

6. Ive tried to get that course so many time, with no luck i always get the letter with loads of names saying sorry you have not been loaded.

7. The RASP template is in PAM 21, and as for briefing notes..... They are not difficult to write. Ask someone in your unit to dreft you up a set, 10 minutes of typing should do it.

8. Merlin,

Check your civi emails!

9. They're not issued anymore for a reason. Don't crab off anyone else do your own. As peviously mentioned above the template is in Pam 21.

Thats me being **** about it.

Now for the uncle say_again words of reason.

Range letters / RASPS get copied and re copied so often that mistakes creep in. 3 Years ago I wrote a RASP with 3 minor deliberate mistakes in it (various reasons we don't need to cover). RMQ course last year, a student turned up with his "own" RASP.......Mine from 3 years ago still with same mistakes! He then said it was the Generic Rasp from SASC, finally admitted that it was the one his unit used all the time, they just changed dates and locations........not bad, my rasp travelled over 100 miles and became the generic SASC rasp!

Ok, i'm a bit **** about it, but turn up with obviously copied rasp and watch it being rejected and risk failing the course, either way you'd be spending sat night re writing it!

Why are we / me such a git about it?

The RASP is your legal document, your insurance doument if you like. Should anything go horribly wrong then LAIT, SASC and /or RMP will be all over it, once they start to find problems with it then they'll dig deeper and deeper. If it goes really really horrible wrong then this document will be reviewed in court and will be the basis of your defence.

We try to make sure that once a successful student leaves the course he / she has a RASP that they have produced that will stand up to inspection.

10. ^ Agreed with all of the above. I wrote my own generic RASP and it is now the one my unit use. It must be remembered that a RASP must reflect the range you are using, in that, it must reflect that particular ranges standing orders.

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Agreed - having had the pleasure of a LAIT investigation following an incident on a range i was RCO of, I can confirm that the RASP was central to the chat.

I had to demonstrate that I knew what I had written, why I had written it and justify those decisions, always with consideration to the requirements of Pam 21.

The RASP is documentary evidence of the thought that you have put into the safe running of the range. If you have just cut and pasted someone elses, this depth of understanding is not likely to be there.

After years of experience, then great - cut and paste away as you will be familiar with it. On your course, start from scratch and get it right first time. It will give you the level of understanding you need when the spotlight is in your eyes and the interrogation begins!

Duke

PS the Range letter (out of date term) shown above is for a Live Fire Marksmanship Training (LFMT) practice, but refers to LFTT. See how the errors creep in?

12. Duke, any chance of seeing a copy of the above letters(cut and paste LOL) as I cant open it!

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sorry - technomonging. If anyone more computer literate than I am could help out?

14. AN EXAMPLE OF A RANGE ACTION SAFETY PLAN (RASP)
    IWD 3/6/3 A Coy
    1 BR
    Sennybridge Training Camp
    SENNYBRIDGE
    Powys
    LD3 8PN
    Telephone: 01874 636361 Ext 4321
    Military Network: 94360 4321
    See Distribution 3 Feb 04
    RANGE ACTION AND SAFETY PLAN (RASP) — (SECTION HASTY ATTACK)
    References:
    A. USO G3-36 Orders for Medical Cover ITCWales.
    B. Inf Trg Vol IV Pam No 21, Regulations for the Planning, Conduct and Supervision of Firing and Training with Infantry Weapon Systems and Pyrotechnics 2001.
    C. LANDSO 3202 (Fourth Revise) dated Apr 2001, Reporting of Incidents and Matters of Public Interest.
    D. ATEWales Standing Orders Volume 8 Parts 1-8 Sennybridge Training Area (SENTA) Training and Ranges May 2000.
    E. Inf Trg Vol IIPam No 5, The 5.56 mm Rifle, LSW and Associated Equipment.
    F. Inf Trg Vol III Pam No 14, Rocket System 94 mm (HEAT) LAW.
    G. Inf Trg Vol III Pam No. 13, Grenades, Pyrotechnics and Associated Equipment.
    H. Inf Trg Vol III Pam No 16, 51 mm Mortar (All Arms) 2000.
    I. Inf Trg Vol III Pam No 17, General Purpose Machine Gun.
    J. Mil Eng Vol II Pam No 4A, All Arms Battle Noise Simulation.
    GENERAL
    1. The Live Firing Tactical Training (LFTT) Exercise DRAGON STRIKE (Hasty Attack) will take place on Arange SENTA on 13 Feb 04. 2 Pl will participate in this exercise. The trace for the exercise is at Annex A and the sketch map is at Annex B.
    AIM
    2. The aim of the exercise is to test the sections in their hasty attack procedures under LFTT conditions in order to prepare the platoon for future operations.
    APPOINTMENTS
    3. The following personnel are nominated to fill the appointments listed:
    Ser
    Appointment
    Rank
    Name
    Qual Held
    Remarks
    (a)
    (b)
    (c)
    (d)
    (e)
    (f)
    Exercise Director
    Lt Col
    Wilson
    SA (A) (90)
    RISK ASSESSMENTS
    4. Exercise Risk Assessment. The Infantry Training Safe System is in place.
    5. Medical Risk Assessment. This medical plan is in accordance with Reference A. The following plan will be implemented in the event of a casualty on this range:
    a. Immediate Action (IA).
    (1) All firing is to STOP and the exercising troops are to apply their safety catches and await further instructions.
    (2) The RCO and nominated range staff will move to the scene with the medical pack.
    (3) Immediate first aid will be administered.
    (4) Range control informed.
    b. Minor Casualty. After the AI has been carried out the following plan will be carried out:
    (1) The safety vehicle will move from the admin area to the scene.
    (2) The casualty will then be moved by stretcher or foot to the vehicle.
    (3) The casualty will be taken to the nearest ambulance waiting station.
    (4) The medic will make an assessment. The safety vehicle is to remain with the casualty until the assessment is complete.
    (5) The casualty will be treated by the medic or returned by safety vehicle to Dering Lines.
    c. Major Casualty. After the IA, the following plan will be carried out:
    (1) The ambulance will move directly to the range or area.
    (2) Depending on the severity of the casualty and advice received from the duty RLO, the casualty will be moved by ambulance direct to one of the following locations:
    (a) Civilian ambulance RV.
    (b) Medical Centre in Dering Lines.
    (c) HLS as directed by the duty RLO.
    (d) Hospital.
    d. After the casualty has been evacuated the RCO will action the accident procedure from References Band C.
    6. Changes/Amendments to the Exercise Plan. In the event that changing weather conditions dictate that the format of the activity needs to be altered the RCO is authorized to amend the plan. The changes, together with the reasons, are to be recorded in this RASP.
    STAFF DUTIES
    7. RCO. The RCO is responsible for the safe conduct of the exercise in accordance with the rules and guidelines contained in References BandD.
    8. Safety Supervisor (Exercising Troops).
    a. Duties. The Safety Supervisors are responsible for the safe firing of all weapon systems within the fire unit as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    b. Safety Brief. The following safety points are to be enforced:
    (1) The correct actions to be carried out on the command “Stop! Stop! Stop!” or observing red over green mini flares.
    (2) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference E.
    (3) During the final stages of the assault and as long as the target is within 10 metres and the weapon is fired from the patrol position, exercising troops can fire automatic on the move if the Safety Supervisor applies 620 mils SA safety angle.
    (4) All firing is to be directed at nominated targets or ground features, ensuring all fire is kept within the arcs.
    (5) Correct rates of fire are employed for the weapon system being fired.
    (6) Actions to be carried out if an incident or accident was to occur.
    (7) Actions on a grenade being posted, thrown or a blind occurring.
    (8) Actions on the exercising troops moving outside the movement box.
    (9) Ensure the firer has muzzle clearance.
    (10) Ensure the firer applies the safety catch before moving.
    (11) Actions to be carried out on the outbreak of a fire.
    (12) Actions to be carried out if the muzzle is blocked.
    (13) Actions to be carried out if the weapon is submerged in water.
    (14) The SA safety angle of 590 mils is to be used throughout the exercise.
    9. Safety Supervisor (ODT).
    a. Duties. The Safety Supervisor is responsible for the safe firing of the 94 mm ODT as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    (1) The correct actions to be carried out on the command “Stop! Stop! Stop!” or observing red over green mini flares.
    (2) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference F.
    (3) The back blast area is clear of all personnel.
    (4) The firer can clearly identify the target.
    (5) Muzzle clearance is achieved.
    (6) Actions to be carried out if the weapon system misfires.
    (7) A yellow flag for marking the ODT position is carried.
    (8) A cocking rod and spare sight is carried.
    (9) The firer is correctly dressed and is wearing issued, serviceable hearing protection before tank action.
    (10) Actions on an incident or accident.
    10. Safety Supervisor (L109 Grenade).
    a. Duties. The Safety Supervisor is responsible for the safe use of the L109 Grenade as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    b. Safety Brief. The Safety Supervisor is to ensure the following safety points are enforced:
    (1) The correct actions to be carried out on the command “Stop! Stop” Stop!” or observing red over green mini flares.
    (2) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference G.
    (3) The correct grenade safety procedures are carried out before throwing.
    (4) The thrower has removed the safety clip before throwing.
    (5) The position where the grenade strikes the ground is observed before taking cover.
    (6) The grenade is not thrown at a target pit.
    (7) The correct procedure in the event of a blind.
    (8) The correct procedure for a dropped grenade, which will be covered in more detail on the walkthrough.
    (9) The firer engages the correct target after the grenade has detonated.
    (10) The grenade is carried in the pouch and that the pouch is correctly fastened.
    (11) Actions on incident or accident are correct.
    11. Safety Supervisor (51 mm Mortar).
    a. Duties. The Safety Supervisor is responsible for the safe firing of the 51mm Mortar as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    (2) The correct rates of fire are employed.
    (3) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference H.
    (4) Check the correct scale for charge type is set and that the sight setting and lay are correct before the weapon is fired.
    (5) Actions to be carried out on a drop short.
    (6) Actions to be carried out on a misfire.
    (7) Actions to be carried out if communications are lost.
    (8) The need to select accurate and easy to observe limits of advance markers to prevent firing if troops move inside the safety angle of the mortar.
    (9) The importance of checking the correct charge setting for the ammunition.
    (10) Actions on incident or accident.
    12. Firer (51 mm Mortar).
    a. Duties. The Mortarman is responsible for the firing of the 51 mm Mortar as directed by the Safety Supervisor and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    (2) The correct rates of fire are employed.
    (3) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference H.
    (4) Check the scale, sight setting and lay before the weapon is fired.
    (5) Actions to be carried out on a drop short.
    (6) Actions to be carried out on a misfire.
    (7) The importance of checking the correct charge setting for the ammunition.
    (8) Actions on incident or accident.
    13. Safety Supervisor (OHF Gun).
    a. Duties. The Safety Supervisor is responsible for the safe firing of the OHF Gun as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    (2) An OHF certificate has been obtained and is in his possession.
    (3) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference I.
    (4) The barrel does not fire more than 2000 rds.
    (5) The firer does not change barrels.
    (6) The correct rates of fire are employed.
    (7) Action on movement of the sights or tracer not visible.
    (8) Limit or troop movement marker is clearly visible on the ground.
    (9) Actions on loss of communications.
    (10) Actions on incident or accident.
    14. Safety Supervisor (FFG).
    a. Duties. The Safety Supervisor is responsible for the safe firing of the FFG as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in Reference B.
    (2) All weapon handling drills are correct in accordance with Reference I.
    (3) The barrel is changed after 400 rds.
    (4) The correct rates of fire are employed.
    (5) Action on movement of the sights or tracer not visible.
    (6) Limit or troop movement marker is clearly visible on the ground.
    (7) Actions to be carried out if troops enter the 200 mils SA angle.
    (8) The correct use of the red flag.
    (9) Actions on loss of communications.
    15. IC BATSIM. The IC BATSIM is responsible for the safe construction, positioning and firing of the BATSIMs as directed by the RCO and in accordance with the rules contained in the Reference B, D and J.
    16. Target Operator.
    a. Duties. The Target Operator is responsible for the operation of the targets as directed by the RCO.
    (1) He is to stay within 10 metres of the RCO at all times.
    (2) He anticipates the need for exposing pull up targets and positions himself accordingly ready for the word of command from the RCO.
    (3) He fully understands the importance of dropping targets immediately when ordered.
    (4) He is dressed correctly with ear defenders at all times.
    (5) He is in possession of the target plan at all times.
    (6) Actions to be carried out in the event of an incident or accident.
    17. Role Player.
    a. Duties. The Role Player is to issue QBOs as directed by the RCO to the exercising troops during final battle
    preparation, prior to them crossing the line of departure, and to offer debrief points to the RCO as required.
    b. Safety Brief.
    (2) All weapon handling drills are correct.
    (3) Supervisor of the issuing of ammunition during battle preparation.
    ACTION AT RANGE
    18. On arrival at the range the RCO will carry out the following:
    a. Sign the 906A; liaise with and ensure that the range warden understands the target plan.
    b. Ensure the ambulance is in location and communications are established.
    c. Obtain clearance to fire from range control.
    RANGE TEAM PROCEDURE
    19. Carry out NSPs with staff and effects weapons supporting the LFTT.
    20. Organise the LFTT central admin area (GR 12341234).
    21. Ensure any sentries are briefed and in position.
    22. Explain the layout of the range, covering the following points:
    a. LFTT admin area.
    b. Safety vehicle location.
    c. Sentry and barrier locations.
    d. Stretcher and first aid kit location and confirm the medical plan.
    e. LFTT ammunition point.
    f. Battle preparation area.
    g. Exercise area.
    h. Debrief area.
    i. Battle inoculation locations.
    j. Aim. The aim of this exercise is the hasty attack.
    k. Training Objectives. The following training objectives will be covered during the exercise:
    (1) Command and control.
    (2) Reaction to effective enemy fire.
    (3) Fire and movement.
    (4) Fire effect.
    l. Scoring System. The scoring system for the exercise is as follows:
    (1) Command and control 18-25 pts
    (2) Reaction to effective enemy fire 18-25 pts
    (3) Fire and movement 18-25 pts
    (4) Fire effect 18-25 pts
    (5) HPS 100 pts PASS 72 pts
    23. Rehearsals/Walkthrough. The RCO is to conduct a rehearsal/walkthrough, attended by all members of the exercising staff, in accordance with Reference B. The RCO must ensure that communications are carried throughout this procedure. The following will be covered:
    a. Arcs for the range (magnetic bearings).
    b. Movement box.
    c. Contact points.
    d. Triangulation for each target.
    e. Any control features on the ground (minefields etc).
    f. Grenade throwing position (practice drop procedure).
    g. BATSIM area.
    h. Battle inoculation safety markers (OHF, FFG, 51 mm Mortar etc).
    i. Use of flags.
    j. Establish communications with all radio users.
    24. Setting Up Battle Inoculation. After the walkthrough the RCO and the battle inoculation Safety Supervisors will set up and fire in the weapons supporting the exercise in accordance with Reference B.
    LESSON PLAN (EXERCISE TROOPS)
    25. On arrival of the exercising troops the following sequence of events is to be followed:
    a. NSPs. A thorough physical check of weapon chambers, magazines, pouches, pockets, helmet linings and other personal clothing and equipment must be conducted.
    b. Hearing Protection. Check for serviceable, issued hearing protection. Remind all personnel of the mandatory requirement to wear hearing protection.
    c. Safety Brief. The safety brief to exercising troops will be as follows:
    (1) The signal to stop firing is receiving the words of command “Stop! Stop! Stop!”. On the receipt of the signal to stop firing you are to remain in the position you are in, apply your safety catch and await further instructions.
    (2) Actions on observing red over green mini flares. Remain in the position you are in, apply your safety catch and await further instructions.
    (3) Actions on an incident occurring. Remain in the position you are in, apply your safety catch and await further instructions.
    (4) Actions on personnel or vehicles being observed inside the danger area. Avoid firing in that direction, apply your safety catch, remain in the position you are in and inform a supervisor.
    (5) Do not fire at any livestock that may be within your arc of fire.
    (6) Actions on stoppages that cannot be remedied. Inform the supervisor, he will dictate your actions.
    (7) If your muzzle is blocked or the weapon has been submerged in water. You are to ensure that it is clear enough prior to commencing firing. This may require the weapon to be stripped.
    (8) You are to ensure you have muzzle clearance before firing.
    (9) A frequent glance over the SUSAT is required to ensure no one is in the front of your weapon prior to
    and during firing.
    (10) Confirm the safety distances of any pyrotechnics being used.
    (11) Confirm the rates of fire and over heating drill.
    (12) Detailed description of marking of Safety Supervisors and other exercise staff (high visibility vests).
    (13) Description of all targets employed on the exercise.
    d. Medical. In the event of an injury either the RCO or the safety staff will take control of the situation.
    e. Layout of Area. Point out the following areas:
    (1) Exercise admin area
    (2) Location of safety vehicle.
    (3) Location of first aid kit and stretcher.
    (4) Ammunition point.
    (5) Battle preparation area.
    (6) Exercise area.
    (7) Debrief area.
    (8) Retest area.
    f. Introduction.
    (1) Reason. ―During operations you may be called upon to carry out a hasty attack when surprised by the enemy. Fire units must be able to react quickly and destroy the enemy, to enable them to continue with the commander’s aim.‖
    (2) Incentive. ―As a section we must be proficient at these skills to enable us to achieve the commander’s aim and be able to save lives of your comrades.‖
    (3) Aim. ―The aim of this exercise is to test your actions in the hasty attack in order to establish section SOPs for future operations.‖
    g. Training Objectives and Scoring System. The following training objectives will be achieved:
    (1) Reaction to effective enemy fire 18-25 pts
    (2) Fire and movement 18-25 pts
    (3) Fire effect 18-25 pts
    (4) Command and control 18-25 pts
    (5) HPS 100 pts PASS 72 pts
    h. Initial Battle Picture. You are 1 Sect, 2 Pl, ACoy, 1 Brecon Rifles. You are operating within the Greyland district, which has been invaded by 14 Air Assault Brigade from the Redland forces. They are lightly armed with MMG, AGS17 and A6 variant assault rifles. Their probable mission is to conduct aggressive, probing patrols in order to recce the area for a larger scale invasion. The enemy are believed to be patrolling at section strength and are dressed in desert style camouflage and soft hats.
    i. Final Battle Picture (issued overlooking ground). The company commander’s intent is to mount a series of fighting patrols within Greyland district in order to destroy all enemies within boundaries. 1 Pl is tasked with clearing the area of grid 880356, in order to allow further operations to be mounted. 1 Sect will be point sect, 2 Sect will be rear left and 3 Sect rear right. MSG will be in support and will dominate the high feature to the east. 9 Regt RA are in CS and the Mortar Pl is in DS from H–60 to H+120. Any enemy at sect strength will be engaged and destroyed by the pl. Any larger forces are to be suppressed and the pl is to be prepared to provide fire support for a hasty coy attack. Any questions?
    j. Conduct of the Exercise. The exercise will follow the sequence below and this will be covered in
    rehearsals/walkthrough. The section commander is to be allowed maximum freedom of action within the constraints of safety. Control will be maintained by the RCO on the safety net.
    Ser
    Approx Tmgs
    Position
    Event
    Signal
    Remarks
    (a)
    (b)
    (c)
    (d)
    (e)
    (f)
    H-15
    Battle prep area
    Final battle prep. Sect meets Pl Comd in battle prep area
    Verbal RCO
    All weapons loaded and made ready. Grenade safety, issue grenades, load ODT
    k. Action at the End of Each Exercise. STOP! STOP! STOP! Unload and clear weapons. Carry out a hot debrief, covering only the main good and/or bad points. If possible, carry out a full detailed debrief, whilst walking over the exercising ground or at least overlooking the exercise area. On completion of each section exercise, the RCO is to carry out normal end of lesson drills and ensure a thorough check of all equipment is carried out before a declaration is taken.
    l. Action on Completion of the LFTT. On completion of the LFTT the following procedure is to be followed:
    (1) Recover all stores and targetry.
    (2) Check area for cleanliness.
    (3) Confirm all battle inoculation weapons are clear.
    (4) Ensure all BATSIMs have been fired or accounted for.
    (5) NSPs.
    (6) Declaration from all range staff.
    (7) Complete and sign the AFB 159A.
    (8) Pack away ammunition.
    (9) Sign off in range log (906A).
    m. Action on Return to Barracks. On arriving at barracks the following will be carried out:
    (1) Return ammunition to store.
    IMKeen
    I M KEEN
    Lt
    For OC ACoy
    Annexes:
    1. RDA Trace.
    2. Sketch Maps.
    Distribution:
    Action:
    RLO SENTA
    CSM
    CQMS
    Trg Wing
    Copy to:
    CO (Exercise Director)
    OCACoy
    Trg Officer
    Notice Board (less Annex)
    ANNEX A TO
    IWD 3/6/3
    DATED 15 JAN 04
    RDA TRACE — RASP (SECTION HASTY ATTACK)
    ANNEX B TO
    IWD/3/6/3
    DATED 15 JAN 04
    SKETCH MAP — RASP (SECTION HASTY ATTACK)
    LF AREA

15. Baldrick.......rejected due to terrible service writing! Re write!