RMP TA - Curiosity

Just out of curiosity... What colour beret and badge do nigs use before earning the red beret?

Am I right in assuming that it's the standard AGC lid and button?

On a serious note, it is the standard Army GS beret (Dark Blue) with an RMP cap badge.

The green 'AGC' beret is only for Special Pen Service now, thank god!

Black with the RMP badge.

You can't wear the red one until you have completed your Special to Arm training given the authority.

Or arguably, you don't want to be a target too early now do you!

bogjockt said:
Black with the RMP badge.

You can't wear the red one until you have completed your Special to Arm training given the authority.

Or arguably, you don't want to be a target too early now do you!
First of its not black (thats tankies) its midnight blue

secondly those that are wearing midnight blue have the wrong berets on, they should be wearing AGC green, there are loads of threads on this especially in the ACF section as thats what the RMP ACF are supposed to wear as they are not provost

It's dark blue with an RMP cap badge, before I got my red one I firstly had a green one with AGC cap badge (thus confusing the instructors on my recruits course) and then the blue beret with the RMP cap badge.

The_Seagull said:
I had to wear this fashionalble number until I "earned" the red beret.
Ditto.

It WAS the green AGC beret with RMP cap badge but SPS kicked up a fuss. Now it is the blue beret with RMP cap badge.

Don't know what the bother is, put the red one on as soon as you learn how to salute just like everone else with a coloured one. The only one I can think of that is different is the Commando/RM beret which still has to be earned, all the others, including 16 AA, come with a posting order. What's so special with the RMP one?

western said:
Don't know what the bother is, put the red one on as soon as you learn how to salute just like everone else with a coloured one. The only one I can think of that is different is the Commando/RM beret which still has to be earned, all the others, including 16 AA, come with a posting order. What's so special with the RMP one?
You have to earn it! That's why they don't give them away!

Please tell me you are trying to crack a joke? Earn it? How exactly?

Of course they earn it

Like they earn thier first stripe

They have to pass the 'How to fit up' exam.

To be boring again...

The RMP scarlet beret is a not a qualification (like the Marine one) it is part of our legal designations, which includes the MP TRF. It is only worn by a warrant card holder (or whilst on environmental trg).

P.S The AGC green beret is only ever now worn by SPS, which is great not being confused with the special pen service

Rubbish! It is a hat.

A long time ago Military Policemen wore acoutrements with best uniform which indicated that they were on duty, generally white webbing, an MP armband and a removable red cover which was attached to their SD Cap. When transiting to and from duty these items were removed indicating to all and sundry that they were off duty. This allowed them to visit shops etc without being accused of skiving.

The SD hat was worn until the mid seventies on operations in Northern Ireland although it was accepted that although the locals in some areas were more accepting of RMP that the rest of the army it was impractical to a degree and this led to the creation of a beret for RMP.

Of course the clowns that are always attracted to the RMP officer corps did not consider the purpose of the beret (operational) of the prior purpose of the red hat cover. This was just another indicator of the Corps tradition of being led by those who have no knowledge of what it is their soldiers actually do. I also suspect that during the 1970s there was a very effeminate culture amongst RMP officers, as if you combine the red beret, stable belt and as was worn at one time a scarlet crevat you wouldn't find yourself short of attention in Earls Court.

So, in came the scarlet beret a thing which serves no other purpose than to keep the rain off your head and hold your capbadge. It does not indicate whether you are on or off duty and is worn by that majority in an RMP unit who do not do Police Duties. The beret is a tactical liability probably providing an aiming point many hundreds of meters after most others have faded into the background, but, I do love the practice of blacking the capbadge, it just draws more attention to the failings of the beret.

As a lovely young lady in the RNZMP said to me 'Don't you feel silly wearing that thing?'

Didn't say it indicates whether the wearer is on duty or not, merely that it is one of the two legal designations that establish our lawful authority, by recognition, establishing the identity of a Provost Officer. The other is the TRF or armlet which is obviously only put on whilst on police duty.

Times have indeed moved on and SD and side hats etc.. are reserved for the officers.

Anyway, who the hell wears a red beret in a tactical situation? When were you last on ops??? We have helmets now

BlueLightRun said:
Didn't say it indicates whether the wearer is on duty or not, merely that it is one of the two legal designations that establish our lawful authority, by recognition, establishing the identity of a Provost Officer. The other is the TRF or armlet which is obviously only put on whilst on police duty.

Times have indeed moved on and SD and side hats etc.. are reserved for the officers.

Anyway, who the hell wears a red beret in a tactical situation? When were you last on ops??? We have helmets now
OK then please provide the 'legal designation' or reference to it. I thought the SIB TRF was the indicator of police work ability and was brought in because people were tapping up the CQMS and the like for advice that could not be given.

Of course helmets are worn in tactical situations but not always and I was referring to the original circumstance of their introduction. Please explain why people still black the capbadge? Also what about attached ranks wearing the scarlet beret?

The legal designation is a direct quote from the PM, hence why the corps have stopped giving it the attached arms many years ago. Unlike any other beret, the only people to wear the scarlet one are RMP warrant card holders.

You are right about the SIB lozenge, it wasn't meant to be elitist as it is sometimes regarded, but to indicate ability and who takes lead on a serious crime scene.

And people black out the cap badge because they have spent too long reading Chris Ryan stories or beliving that it will reduce their 'shine' on Ex. FFS, you shouldn't be wearing it on Ex and if they can see your shiny cap badge, then you are already *****d!