• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RMP/QLR GOC's Reccommendation

I see a member of 150 Pro Coy has received a GOC's commendation today. From what I can gather he was put forward for it by the QLR whom he worked with in Iraq. I assume all the awards, people have been put forward for, have now been agreed or refused. Speaking to a number of RMPS I was surprised to learn that no one in the RMP is due to receive any award for Iraq, considering 9 of their coleagues died, I am surprised, can someone tell me why they don't get put forward for any?

O

one_flew_over

This is not strictly true - some RMP did get awards for Telic (2 MBEs), including an award form the Americans (Bronze Star) for one officer (TA) who worked along side them.

RMP are generally not forwarded for honours and awards because those who are in charge of them find it difficult to aknowledge the efforts of there own men under any circumstance, let alone operational tours. They will however immediately lap up any praise or award put in thier own direction with no hint of shame. Management at it's best. Well done to the QLR for identifying one mans work within thier battle group and for having the moral courage to give credit where credit is due.

They also had a well deserved QCforB for Op TELIC, but due to the fact that RMP units are 'minor' ones (as other Corps can testify), they are seldom nominated for the awards that they should be.

I remember a RMP Staffy that got a DCM during Op Granby. I agree with the comments made by blacknasty, it all depends on the hierarchy. Some are more willing than others to put forward recommendations for awards.

blacknasty said:
RMP are generally not forwarded for honours and awards because those who are in charge of them find it difficult to aknowledge the efforts of there own men under any circumstance, let alone operational tours. They will however immediately lap up any praise or award put in thier own direction with no hint of shame. Management at it's best. Well done to the QLR for identifying one mans work within thier battle group and for having the moral courage to give credit where credit is due.
RMP officers and AMS officers must be one and the same!!

I think a lot of capbadges suffer from the same condition, generally known as integrity!

Whilst not wishing to de-value any of the honours and awards, especially to those who do deserve them, the qualification criteria are (quite rightly) extremely high. Consequently those who perhaps modestly report an incident are not going to be successful in gaining an award.

I have served with one unit in particular, where the truth was creatively crafted in order to secure gongs for the individuals of that unit. Other capbadges who had similar experiences were left entirely out of the equation.

I remember a RMP Staffy that got a DCM during Op Granby. I agree with the comments made by blacknasty, it all depends on the hierarchy. Some are more willing than others to put forward recommendations for awards.
This is very true. The SIB in NI in 1970/71 had one guy get a DCM and one Additional MBE for non-operational gallantry. These recommendations came from a Redcap Lt Col. The SIB officers were totally amazed that any of their guys got these awards. Left to them? Zilch recommandations.

SuperTrooper said:
babiesarm said:
Sh1t In Bulk are too busy stabbing each other in the back to be aware of anything else going on so I am told. :roll:
I think that stabbing in the back is not just an SIB trait. Is it not an RMP behaviour generally?
Hey - you. Crow. Any evidence to back this up other than a tingling in your thumbs?

SuperTrooper said:
Er yes I do I did 13 years with them, 5 in the SIB. I think thats long enough to get the measure of how things work, don't you?
Bully for you - I did 22 years with SIB, Still waiting for an answer not record of service

Ah poor diddums, you thought you were being clever asking how I knew there was backstabbing in the RMP and when it turns out I have experience of seeing it myself you try to be sarcastic about 'length of service' How childish of you! BTW how did you manage to do your full 22 years in the SIB. Did they let you straight in before any training, because when I joined you had to be a Class 1 Corporal first. This does tend to take a few years to achieve. So either you were being misleading saying you did 22 years in the SIB or else you got a LE Commission? Which is it? In addition why are you jumping on the bandwagon of people slating the SIB, if you have completed such long, loyal service? :?:

SuperTrooper said:
Ah poor diddums, you thought you were being clever asking how I knew there was backstabbing in the RMP and when it turns out I have experience of seeing it myself you try to be sarcastic about 'length of service' How childish of you! BTW how did you manage to do your full 22 years in the SIB. Did they let you straight in before any training, because when I joined you had to be a Class 1 Corporal first. This does tend to take a few years to achieve. So either you were being misleading saying you did 22 years in the SIB or else you got a LE Commission? Which is it? In addition why are you jumping on the bandwagon of people slating the SIB, if you have completed such long, loyal service? :?:
The rules in 1952 were different to those of which you speak. I do not know of 'Class 1 Corporal' I did the whole 22 in SIB as I had National Service time and then extended to a 22 year regular engagement on first posting to SIB. I am not jumping on the bandwagon of slating SIB - I'm asking what evidence you have for statement you made re backstabbing in SIB. I have no recall of such. Blokes being done by rubber heel squad for cocking up or crookery? Yes but that is not backstabbing. The espirit de corps in the Branch was second to none - it had to be as the work tended to isolate us from the rest of the army.
So - again - you alleged backstabbing in SIB. Prove it. Remember burden of proof?

Latest Threads