RMP or Int?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by focussed, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have been an observer of these forums for a while but have never actually posted.... So here goes.

I have completed my BARB test and now need to choose my jobs, my med forms are currently with my GP.

The two jobs I am mainly interested in are RMP or Int, but which one should be my first choice? I have looked in detail at all the different posts on here as well as seeking advice/info from the careers office, various leaflets and the internet.

What are the upsides and downsides of the jobs? I know a lot of them already but I need to make the right decision!

The attraction of the RMP is I have always been interested in Police work and the variety of jobs they do on ops and in the UK, the downside is being hated and dealing with drunk soldiers, catching people speeding etc. I am very interested in Military Intelligence and the planning process involved in ops I enjoy using information to put together reports and the variety of roles looks very challenging, however, I have heard negative things like spending all the time in the UK checking locks on armouries! Obviously I may well be wrong, please do correct me!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. I have a friend who work in MI, and he's just come back from tour, he loved every moment of it (except the 18 hr days)
    but he did say yes you go round the UK briefing people etc, but every job has a bone task to-do, and the RMP will be no different,

If you want a real good insights look at open days to go have a look at both regiments,
    and most people on hear will happily slag them off with no real knowledge,

3. You wont be doing much of that these days!

4. Thanks, I am 90% certain I am going for Int first, then RMP. I just want to make sure I have all the facts.

Another attraction to the Int Corps is the career progression which looks more interesting and diverse with lots of qualifications available.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Both similar, Int making assumptions about what may happen and RMP making assumptions about what did happen!

6. :D

7. who does it these days? Are the Sy Int mob all deployed all the time or has UK in-barracks security been put on a back burner?

Maybe this wouldnt happen if they did a bit more checking:

Army Loses 200 Weapons in last 9 years

8. I would go for Green Slime any day over RMP. As a RMP JNCO you will be doing lots of mind numbing work, whereas as Int Corps you will be at the sharp end an awful lot quicker with more job satisfaction. The RMP has one of the highest turnover rates of disgruntled folk who sign off which speaks volumes. If you do go RMP & then go SIB/CI/CP or go on "interesting work" that will be good but you will not get that in your first few years. Promotion in the Int Corps is also quicker than RMP. If you want to be a real copper then be a Peeler in Civ Div nicking real Crims.

9. There is a world of difference between the 2: and (speaking as a 20(+)yrs Infantry bloke with experience in Inteligence, you have got your preferences the right way round - except that if you are half-way bright enoough to make it in the Int Corps, you are twice as bright as the average MP task requires.

As your understanding of the RMP develops, you might want to review your 2nd choice (if you fit the bill, their are roles in R Signals, f'r instance that are closely linked to Int Corps).

The Int Corps blokes who worked for me, and the Int Corps officers I worked for were extremely professional, very bright and knowledgeable, some of them extremely tough.

All of them had had careers that were very varied, and (mostly) not for public discussion.

If I were to have any reservations, it would be that the overt G2(Security) line of work is not for the faint hearted, or those craving popularity - but it does encompass some of the more challenging and discreet aspects of the Corps work.

Last word: in all my career, I cannot recall a satisfactory experience involving RMP, least of all their Special Investigation Branch.

10. I transferred into the Int Corps from the infantry. I was told by my CO prior to transferring that I was a bright spark in the infantry but by transferring I would be a bright spark amongst a lot of other bright sparks.

In fact I found that being amongst similar people meant that I had to push myself and develop to stay ahead which was a challenge at times but which was no bad thing and helped when I left the service.

If I had stayed in the infantry I would have just followed the usual training cycle, whereas in the Int Corps I got to do lot of very interesting (and highly classified) things which I would not have done otherwise.

And I got to meet some very interesting people as well - the Corps certainly had its fair share of "characters" in my day, and I suspect it still has even though the job appears to have changed somewhat over the last 20 years.

:)

Rodney2q

11. Thanks again everyone. I am going to go for:

1: Int
    2: RMP
    3: Not sure yet. My careers advisor said as long as I have two choices he is happy.

Anyone else with any final wise words? :D

12. Yes - Find a replacement for yr 2nd choice.

13. :D permission to borrow that quote? :D

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fill yer boots, its amazing what my brain does when sober!

15. Was at Chicksands in March on the new selection process, very competitive indeed. If you don’t make it in but realise that INT. is right up your street and still join the mob don’t go RMP (advice given in my final interview). Check out Electronic Warfare Systems Operator, if it tickles your fancy it still leaves doors open (or the easiest one to open I been told).