Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RMP officer transfer.

Hello all,
After 4 years REME reserves (2 of which I spent in university studying policing) a opportunity was offered to me to go regular REME, at the time I wasn’t enjoying university as the course wasn’t what it was sold to me as. So after a year of being regular REME I find myself regretting my decision to come regular! I would like to go down the officer route and go RMP, I just have a few questions.
1) how should I approach my chain of command reference my future and aspirations to go officer.
2) on my reserve SJARs I never got a recommendation for officer will this effect me wanting to go down this route.
3) currently only a Cfn will this impact me in a negative way when going for officer.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hmm? You didn't like Uni, then didn't like REME ... and are now looking for the next thing not to like...... cool
To be fair, no one likes the RMP!

Hello all,
After 4 years REME reserves (2 of which I spent in university studying policing) a opportunity was offered to me to go regular REME, at the time I wasn’t enjoying university as the course wasn’t what it was sold to me as. So after a year of being regular REME I find myself regretting my decision to come regular! I would like to go down the officer route and go RMP, I just have a few questions.
1) how should I approach my chain of command reference my future and aspirations to go officer.
2) on my reserve SJARs I never got a recommendation for officer will this effect me wanting to go down this route.
3) currently only a Cfn will this impact me in a negative way when going for officer.

Why not speak to your RCMO?, ask to go on a temp attachment to a local RMP Coy to see if you like it?

I would take much of the "advice" you receive on here with a pinch of salt.

Good luck, in what ever you decide.

chimera

LE
If you are interested, then go for it, as you have nothing to lose. But time will not be on your side, so speak to your CoC or RCMO as soon as possible. Do NOT allow yourself to be f*cked off in your first conversation with anyone. As a technical Corps, REME will be used to people commissioning from any rank, so there should not be any sharp intakes of breath. Sandhurst entry from "the ranks" is relatively common these days, so there is plenty of precedent as to the process.

I also agree with the poster above that recommends getting to see an RMP unit at first hand - beyond that it is worth getting some some of connection into the RMP to ensure that it might be interested in having you.

Last edited:
Hmm? You didn't like Uni, then didn't like REME ... and are now looking for the next thing not to like...... cool
I didn’t like university as the course was sold completely differently to what it actually was?
I enjoy the REME and I’m currently enjoying my job I just regret transferring full time and feel like I should of stuck university out and commissioned from that point!

Hello all,

The first, and probably the most important thing that you need to do, is delete Spanner from your name. :)

I didn’t like university as the course was sold completely differently to what it actually was?
I enjoy the REME and I’m currently enjoying my job I just regret transferring full time and feel like I should of stuck university out and commissioned from that point!

I'm just joshing with you.

You don't need to reply or take notice of us bitter and twisted to55ers mate.

Just do what you feel works for you, but sometimes it's worth sticking something out until it gets better.

Whatever you do, how happy you are, is often a mindset thing and moving around too often may not let you develop the coping mechanism to deal with a shite environment.... ask any married man :)

Thinking of being a Monkey Officer says you really want to be that Cop you dreamed of

Hello all,

Why don't you join the civilian police. Then after a few years join an ally reserve unit like 4 Para, HAC or 131 Commando Sqn RE.

Hello all,

As it is slowly going the same route as the police, get a job at McDonalds and send in at least two photos of yourself shaking hands with the franchise owner as you get 'Outlet Asst Mngr of the Month' badges with your direct entry to Superintendent/Company Commander, application.

You regret jacking Uni in. You regret not going for Officer.

I'm not sure jacking in your current career would be the best move. If you were being recommended for Officer by your CoC, then it may be worth the risk, but if they don't see it in you, there is a good chance that it isn't for you.

You have five options:

1. Sign off, go back to Uni and attempt AOSB as a Civvy. High risk, and you'd be jacking in what you already have to maybe end up with nothing.

2. Try to go to AOSB as a Soldier candidate. Can be quite competitive, and it sounds like it isn't open to you.

3. Stick with what you have and give being a REME soldier your best shot.

4. Transfer to the RMP as a soldier. From what I can see, RMP Soldiers don't do any actual policing, but seem to do a lot of stores checks and military bullshit. Probably because they don't have any actual role...

5. Sign off and try and join Civ Pol. Very high risk - the fact that you couldn't finish your policing degree will immediately stand out as a negative. You'd have to knock selection out of the park to get over that hurdle.

My advice? From what you've said. you don't scream Officer candidate to me. I'd stick in as a REME soldier and try and have a fulfilling career. I'd love to jack what I've got in and become an astronaut, but I'm going to stick with what I already have, thanks.

**Edit to add** Part of the reason it is so difficult to go from Soldier to Officer is that the Army doesn't like Commissioning Soldiers who are only just good enough to go to RMAS. When that happens, the Army gets an Officer who isn't great, and will likely leave before they get a sniff at Major, because they just won't cut it beyond Pl/Tp Comd. It would be much better for a Soldier like that to stay in, get to Warrant Officer and maybe commission as a Late Entry Officer. That way, they can have a successful career in the LE world, where they may be more suited. As a Direct Entry Officer, it isn't just about being good enough to Commission, but you would need to be competitive in the DE world, which can be fairly brutal once you get beyond Capt.

Last edited:

Latest Threads