RMP combat role?

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by oddone, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone! First post on these forums after a long time reading. First off ill introduce myself, Im known as oddone, my real name is Martin, im 21 turning 22 and ive always had an intrest in both the Police and the Army. I have served 2 and a 1/2 years as a special constable with a national force and unfotunatly my day job is threatened with redundancy. My local/civi forces are not recruiting at the moment so i am looking more to join the RMP.

I have sourced loads of information off these forums which has answered most of my questions, But my main question i would like some help with is about the combatant role of the RMP. Say for example if i was sent out to Iraq what would my duties be? Im aware that you are helping train the local police forces and restore law and order, But what else? Are the RMP responsible for base/fob security? Are you used for marshalling troops and vehicles? and do the RMP conduct patrols out of the base or are you mixed in with other units?

Many thanks.

2. Why not look at other Forces? Travel/relocation is obviously not an issue for you, or you would'nt be considering the Army. I've heard the Met has quite a high turnover and therefor recruits quite regularly.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

3. If your a BTP special, why not have a go at the regs?

4. Cheers for the tips/replies guys! I have looked at other Civilian forces but ive always have a vested intrest in the army too. Im not the kind of guy who can sit down all day and ive never been one for paperwork. Im too hands on for my own good and think the Army would give me a much better challenge then civvy street. I missed applying to the Met by two days and i hate to say i would find BTP a bit of a bore to work for! I know joining up is a major decision and it aint one that i shall be taking lightly! :)

5. Then the RMP is not for you, we fill forms in to fill forms in you know!!

6. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

7. If you like police work, please dont join the RMP, as all we do is paper work. We have several ex civi bill in the unit i am at ( Germany based)and they say police work wise it is much worse, just triva and rubbish jobs. However it is a good laugh and you do get to go to some really big shiit holes for free.

8. Big M little p, and all that jazz