RMP Close Protection

Evening,

I was just wondering, does anyone here know if there are any eyesight requirements for RMP Close Protection Roles - minimum and also if glasses are acceptable? Or is it just the standard ones that apply to the army as a whole?

Cheers

Jamie

Evening,

I was just wondering, does anyone here know if there are any eyesight requirements for RMP Close Protection Roles - minimum and also if glasses are acceptable? Or is it just the standard ones that apply to the army as a whole?

Cheers

Jamie
Does mum like you at present?

Evening,

Cheers

Jamie
One of the chaps with whom I worked had contacts supplied at army expense. You never used to be able to wear specs - you can't see threats, or keep an eye on the leggy blonde trying to get around your principle, if they fall, or get knocked, off.

And, do not expect to go straight from basic training to CP school - I only know one who did that and that, he was 18 years old, got best recruit and was given his choice of posting after basic. I think he lasted about 6 months before he was binned after taking a shot (9mm) at a septic Warrant Officer who he had an argument with - he missed that too, hole in door.

The norm used to be at least 3 years practical RMP experience before you could apply for the course. In the dim distant past they preferred an operational tour before applying too. BTW, make sure you are fitter than the average bear.

Last edited:
Why? There's nothing wrong with joining the highly esteemed Royal Military Police. Exemplo Ducemus. ;)
No one likes a monkey, not even a fellow monkey

Leave the lad alone, we can't all aspire to the golden heights of REME hammer technician. ;)
Pay. A lot more than a ******* waste of space monkey

To add to my above: If you join do not go through basic training telling everyone you are going to do CP. Seriously.

Mention it as a future ambition when you have your platoon commanders interview - thats it, never again. Then excel at everything you do throughout basic training and at your subsequent units. Study very hard to know your job as a military policeman, excel at soldiering skills, reach and maintain a level of high fitness. And most importantly show humility, never be afraid to get your hands dirty and get stuck in to helping out with anything that is going.

Just to make the point: I had a mate who went through SAS selection, passed, and in himself was ready to storm embassies and shag anything that moved. He arrived at his troop shed the first day of work and the troop Sgt handed him a broom and told him to sweep out the shed - that was his job until the next new bloke turned up a year later. Humility.

To add to my above: If you join do not go through basic training telling everyone you are going to do CP. Seriously.

Mention it as a future ambition when you have your platoon commanders interview - thats it, never again. Then excel at everything you do throughout basic training and at your subsequent units. Study very hard to know your job as a military policeman, excel at soldiering skills, reach and maintain a level of high fitness. And most importantly show humility, never be afraid to get your hands dirty and get stuck in to helping out with anything that is going.

Just to make the point: I had a mate who went through SAS selection, passed, and in himself was ready to storm embassies and shag anything that moved. He arrived at his troop shed the first day of work and the troop Sgt handed him a broom and told him to sweep out the shed - that was his job until the next new bloke turned up a year later. Humility.
Hmm? Was running a range in sunny Cyprus 20 years back?....when a few - maybe 6 or so, rocked up in a lanny... in uniform and berets. They'd come over from Beirut on a task and wanted to check zero before going back.

Found 'em a couple of lanes on the far right of my range, 100m or so away from the lanes we were using 'Help yourself fellas'.

They had Browning's and MP5's ..... they showed me a few techniques and let me have a cabby too.

They were nice & polite and no dramas at all. Deffo not the type who turn up and try to run and your kit ragged after stepping off a plane or during a block raid/inspection.

No one likes a monkey, not even a fellow monkey
Then why are you even on here?
Off you fcuk to the REME forum, you illiterate, spanner wielding, mong.

taking a shot (9mm) at a septic Warrant Officer who he had an argument with
That gen?

What happened as a result of that?

One of the chaps with whom I worked had contacts supplied at army expense. You never used to be able to wear specs - you can't see threats, or keep an eye on the leggy blonde trying to get around your principle, if they fall, or get knocked, off.

And, do not expect to go straight from basic training to CP school - I only know one who did that and that, he was 18 years old, got best recruit and was given his choice of posting after basic. I think he lasted about 6 months before he was binned after taking a shot (9mm) at a septic Warrant Officer who he had an argument with - he missed that too, hole in door.

The norm used to be at least 3 years practical RMP experience before you could apply for the course. In the dim distant past they preferred an operational tour before applying too. BTW, make sure you are fitter than the average bear.
Nearly every point you make in your post is bollocks.

That gen?

What happened as a result of that?
V doubtful it happened - there are many, many urban myths in CPU; that is not one of them. I'm pretty sure an attempted murder would be a long remembered incident.

You can go straight to Longmoor from Ph2 now, CP as a whole underwent a review in 2012 to 'train in' ie. 'make it easier' to increase the pool of CP trained personnel, as the demands of TELIC, HERRICK and OGD were placing significant strain on the RMP.
For example on my last tour at the height of HERRICK, I was TL of one of four CP Teams of various sizes in Kabul alone. Not counting the Brig's team down south.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D AGC, RAPTC and SASC 5
R Police, PMCs, Security 4
DeltaGolf The Training Wing 4