RMOs - Can they or Cant They!!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by ewan2000, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have come across a couple of cases now where the unit RMO have been charging SP for them to sign documents such as PAX Claim Form's ect, the norm has been £25.

Now one RMO has been inputting said contributions back into the "Medical Pot" via the Imprest Holder and the other into his "Pocket" stating that he declares this extra income to the Tax Man.

So can they or can't and if so...............Where's the reference Document??

Cheers All.
  2. this needs to be brought to the attention of the local area SMO

there is no need for service RMOs to charge 'fees' for completing forms
  3. This is disgraceful. Speak to the practice manager at the said practice and submit a formal complaint through the system. Also, mention this to your chain of command. Your CO needs to know that his medical system is being abused (if this is the case). Whatever happens, it needs to be properly investigated.
  4. Any member of the armed forces can apply to work in other jobs or undertake other forms of paid work. Single service regulations have historically allowed this albeit with certain caveats e.g CO's permission, doesn't interfere with performance of service duties, is not in conflict with any other service regulations, does not bring the services into disrepute, etc., etc. Medical staff are no different in this respect.

Insurance medicals and other non-service related health care forms are 'private' work and an MO is perfectly entitled to charge for them should he/she wish (try asking a civilian GP to do it for free). Some will do it for free as a favour or out of the kindness of their hearts, but I've also gone to many Medical Centre Xmas meals that were funded by insurance fees.

That being said, the MO should seek permission from the CO and should certainly not be doing it on company time. I insisted that they did it in lunch hours, other mandatory breaks or after working hours (unless they funded my winter break in the Maldives of course).
  5. Interesting. I wonder if an MO would charge for a statement etc detailing an injury received on operational tour that is not caused by enemy action (eg trip while running In spare time or game Of footy off duty etc)
  6. Same as any NHS Doctor, yes it is chargeable to the individual or company requesting the medical it has always happened and I’m going back over 30 years. The MO normally does it on his non clinic days. What used to p1ss us off was we did all the work (height, weight, BP etc) the MO signed the form and claimed the money some made donation to centre funds others said it’s my signature they are paying for not yours and pocketed the cash. In good practices some practice Mangers refused to let the Medics/Nurses do the work ups unless the guys were paid for it.

At the end of the day they are not service related and are purely a private arrangement and the MOs don’t have to do them.
  7. It depends on what the statement is for. If it is for a private insurance scheme (including PAX) or some sort of legal claim then the MO can charge. Normal clinical work would not be affected.
  8. I refused point blank to let staff do prelims for insurance and medico-legal stuff unless they got something out of it. Usually ended up being in the form of contributions to the staff entertainments fund.