Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Doc2B, Jun 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm coming to the end of my time as a medical student and am seriously considering becoming an Army doctor (cue torrent of abuse). One thing I'd like to know is whether it's better to take a posting as a Regimental Medical Officer or General Duties Medical Officer in a Medical Regiment. I gather that you can express a preference as to where you would like to go.

Naturally, I've done a fair bit of research using the usual channels, but I'm open to ideas from the ARRSE community.

I'm keen to do a job where I can (a) contribute alot to the people I work with and (b) improve my medical skills. Some hair-raising adventures wouldn't go amiss either!!!
  2. I cant bring myself to do it..I truly cant.

All stations Pigeons Battle group
    this is Cat control
    One Moggy inbound your location in 5 4 3 2 ..........
  3. If you decide to join, your performance at RMAS is likely to determine whether you become a RMO or a GDMO; certainly if the RMAS staff like what they see and you have something about you, your report is likely to contain a positive recommendation for employment as a RMO. Those responsible for your initial posting (AMS MCM Division) will take into account such a recommendation.

That is not to say that all those posted as GDMOs are lesser mortals. Indeed there might be very good operational reason why a crop of newly qualified MOs are posted to a Med Regt.

If you want to do something reasonably exciting, then you can ask and if there are vacancies for what it is you want to do, you could be successful.
  4. You muppet, you nonce, you mug, you slag.

Hope that helps.

P.S. - Remember; Brufen, tubigrip and a weeks light duties. You can't go wrong :wink:
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Also remember that this prescription is given by the Med Centre Sgt - not the Dr. RMOs don't see soldiers unless they are casualties.
  6. A-Y, Nobody can stop you seeing the MO. And if the Med Cen S/Nco does, he want's his arrse reeming. It's your call. Or are you just stirring it.!!!!!!
  7. All posts for Docs have different challenges. As an RMO you would be working for the Regt but in reality its likely that you would spend a lot of your time in a Group practice under the control of a GP Trainer and SMO. RMOs that get on well with the Regt they support normally have a great time, those that don't tend to suffer a lot. You will get the opportunity to improve you medical skills as a GDMO or an RMO, in fact you are as likely to go on an Op tour as a GDMO as you area as an RMO. Hair raising adventures are available anywhere in the Army ( a lot of them in the Mess). Whatever you decide, I reckon you will have more fun in the Army than dealing with pensioners piles in civvy street! :lol:
  8. I'm a Med SNCO and the little fecckers better have a darn good excuse for wasting my time let alone the RMO's. Brufen and Tubigrips probably too good for em. Unless their leg is hanging off they had better just feck off down the Spar and buy some honey flavour lockets or a packet of paracetamol.

Anyone would think we are there to provide a service with statements like the one above. Everyone knows that the most important part of the Med Centre is the coffee room and if we resorted to letting just anybody go sick it would interfere with my attempts to improve my golf swing.

Go Sick?? See the Doc???? what is this world coming too??? Get back to work you skivving little toe rag :twisted: :twisted:
  9. Either way, you'll spend most of your time in the Garrison Med Centre, as a doc is too valuable to waste and an attachment to the Army Primary Health Care Service is inevitable.

You'll only see your regt on Mess nights and when you get warned off for an Op tour.

10. What are the differences between the duties of an RMO and a GDMO?
  11. 10 years down the line, I like to believe that these sorts of attitudes are starting to become extinct and we are modernising into a more professional organisation... ;)
  12. I think he might have had his tongue firmly stuck in his cheek
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. He might be. :)