RMLY to go?

'Top' and 'TA' in the same sentence.........?

Best recruited? Nothing to do with being in the impoverished North, by any chance?

All that having been said: this does rather seem to fly in the face of the 'let's get the STABs to do all the work' policy much touted by the present bunch of fucktards in the MoD.

'Top' and 'TA' in the same sentence.........?

Best recruited? Nothing to do with being in the impoverished North, by any chance?

All that having been said: this does rather seem to fly in the face of the 'let's get the STABs to do all the work' policy much touted by the present bunch of fucktards in the MoD.
Except it is not in the North... Dudley, Telford, Chester, Wigan and Hereford. Well OK Wigan...

Given that it is roled to support Challenger - what does that say about just how many Challenger units will really be left...?

Or a finger in the eye for our previous and very Yeomanry ex Maj Gen?

B

bokkatankie

Or a finger in the eye for our previous and very Yeomanry ex Maj Gen?
Not really he is Colonel of the QOY, if the plan goes, well, as planned, Cheshire Yeomanry (his bit) and DLOY will become part of QOY.

Other bits, but not all, of RMLY will fold into RY.

It will be a very sad day and will result in the loss of a cap badge. The role of all Yeomanry, except parts of RWxY will be light cav. RMLY are already in the process of re-roling.

B

bokkatankie

I agree, however if it revives another......Scottish Yeomanry, then the status quo is maintained. No matter what it flies in the face of the supposed increase in TA numbers.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Which will be a buggers muddle of SY and NIH. Political tom foolery but nothing at all new.

The campaign, if that is what it is, to save the RMLY has not got off to a good start with not posh enough, the QOY recruits in the north east and is headquatered in Newcastle! No doubt there will be a faceache page and all the same shit the QDG did.

Isn't this down to low demand for armour and/or armour reservists? The least trendy regiment therefore goes.
Why can't they be re-roled?

Surely it is easier to convert 372 tankies into 372 infanteers, than it is to generate 372 brand new infanteers?

It makes no sense to me, in a time when they're trying to offload more responsibility to the TA, it makes no real sense to bin 372 trained soldiers and several TA centres in the name of taking on fresh faces and new buildings.

Surely it is easier to convert 372 tankies into 372 infanteers, than it is to generate 372 brand new infanteers?

It makes no sense to me, in a time when they're trying to offload more responsibility to the TA, it makes no real sense to bin 372 trained soldiers and several TA centres in the name of taking on fresh faces and new buildings.
I doubt they're sacking the actual troops - much more likely that they will be offered places in other units.

B

bokkatankie

Read my earlier post, most of the 372 will go to QOY and RY. In effect one HQ Sqn will go with a new one being formed I assume in Scotland. It is a load of bollocks (and as usual it is the Scottish bit that is screwing up the whole process) but 372 Yeomen are not being binned.

I'm just getting this straight in my own mind...

At time when we expect the TA to take on a bigger role in defence, we are shutting down a TA Regiment.

Thus losing a 'foot on the floor' in a massive area of the country and thus losing potential recruits from those areas, and worse losing already trained blokes.

If we actually want an active, capable reserve we need to ensure every population center has the capability of recruiting and supporting such part time personnel. Or we need to encourage the personnel to the come to a centralised point in order to maintain his skills (a la RAuxAF)

Shutting down units like this doesn't seem to support the overall effort.

B

bokkatankie

I'm just getting this straight in my own mind...

At time when we expect the TA to take on a bigger role in defence, we are shutting down a TA Regiment.

Thus losing a 'foot on the floor' in a massive area of the country and thus losing potential recruits from those areas, and worse losing already trained blokes.

If we actually want an active, capable reserve we need to ensure every population center has the capability of recruiting and supporting such part time personnel. Or we need to encourage the personnel to the come to a centralised point in order to maintain his skills (a la RAuxAF)

Shutting down units like this doesn't seem to support the overall effort.
I know that it is difficult but they are not doing that.

Existing Sqns. are being moved from one cap badge to another, in the case of CY they are going back to the regiment they were with up until 1999. There will be 3 England based RHQ, aligned with the 2 England based light cav and in the case of RWxY with the CR2 role in Tidworth. There will also be a new RHQ for a newish Soctland based Yeomany regiment which will be tasked with support to the light cav regiment in scotland.

One could argue that the Yeomanry is, in fact, expanding (and if I was a politician, that is what I would be doing).

The RAC has reduced with the amalgamation of 1st. and 2nd. RTR and 9/12L and QRL, the Yeomanry, it could be argued, is re-aligning itself to the the new RAC and roles within it.

The increase in TA numbers is in manning. The TA trained strength (i.e., manning) will rise to 30,000.
30,000 will also now be the approximate maximum number of trained position posts (i.e., PID's) offered in the TA of tomorrow.
This differs from the present number of trained position posts available...

But why open another regiment? Seems a costly exercise. Why not just expand the current regiments to form a further sqn each? Or the Reg Scottish Cv unit sets up a TA sqn?

DM article seems to indicate the Sqns will be lost, even though a poster above beleives they are to be attached to other units.

B

bokkatankie

But why open another regiment? Seems a costly exercise. Why not just expand the current regiments to form a further sqn each? Or the Reg Scottish Cv unit sets up a TA sqn?

DM article seems to indicate the Sqns will be lost, even though a poster above beleives they are to be attached to other units.

Because, Scotland is the problem, I agree it is a costly and ultimately pointless exercise to do what they are doing. But because it is Scotland; perfectly well recruited regular units have also been cut and badly recruited scottish ones retained. The scottish yeomanry struggled with recruitment before, it will probably do so again.

I am not saying the plan is correct I am saying it is being done in the same scottish oriented way that the regular army also suffered.

And like that it only makes sense because scotland is involved!

As already mentioned with Scots DG moving to Scotland returning a Scottish TA Recce Regt seems quite sensible but not at the cost of the RMLY. a couple of TA officers in Scots DGs RHQ would easily suffice, the regular CO and RSM would get an extra full Sqn to play with and look after, I say an extra Sqn because when all said and done going by our, Scots Yeo history that's about all we could actually field......

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NINJA69 The NAAFI Bar 38
tothepubandbeyond Army Reserve 18
ollyblobf OTC and ACF 1