RMAS Regimental Selection Board

Wondering if anyone can provide info as to how many Officer Cadets get their first/second choices at the RSB, and how many go in to clearing on an average CC. Thanks.

I don't know what the figures are - would be interesting to see.

What I do know is that the RSB process generally puts the right people in the right Cap Badges. It may seem disappointing at the time, but if your two choices are RGR and Para and you are bottom third, you'd be doing yourself no favours being put into career fields where you wouldn't have a chance to progress. Likewise, if you are a nerd and end up in REME or Signals rather than your choices of Cavalry and Gunners, trust me, you've had a favour done to you.

Don't fret too much - those in charge of putting the pegs in holes generally get it right. If you end up being wronged, don't forget you can transfer later. Don't do what some utter cock did in my intake, and leave in the Senior term because he got neither of his choices. I wonder how two and a half terms at RMAS prepared him for the world of burger flipping...

Thanks for the Reply. Info is greatly appreciated. Had my eyes on RGR for a while...
Brilliant Regiment. Just make sure you are right up there. RGR are possibly the most selective capbadge of all, and if you get in, you'll be competing with absolute blades for jobs and promotion for your whole career.

chimera

LE
BLUF: It is a significant advantage going into RSB if you have made some effort to have already been in touch with, and have visited, the Regiments you aspire to join.

Do not be over concerned with the "top third" stuff. If every up itself cap badge who claims only to take "top third" actually did, that "third" would make up the majority of the intake. It is a little like the infamous Iranian Embassy balcony, or, these days, dotty old bats that claim to have been top codebreakers at Bletchley Park, everyone wants to be there, but only a finite number actually were.

Think very carefully about RGR - it would be fair to say that they have a pretty Marmite reputation, and there are a couple of strategic uncertainities that sit over them - the Maoist Government in Nepal is formally seeking a review of the 1947 agreement that allows its people to be recruited, and the willingness of the Government of Brunei (which is becoming increasingly Islamist) to fund the RGR battalion and garrison that are based there if the current Sultan is not the ruler.

Do not be over concerned with the "top third" stuff. If every up itself cap badge who claims only to take "top third" actually did, that "third" would make up the majority of the intake. It is a little like the infamous Iranian Embassy balcony, or, these days, dotty old bats that claim to have been top codebreakers at Bletchley Park, everyone wants to be there, but only a finite number actually were.
Interesting you say that, the other one I have heard from friends in green is the basking in the reflected glory of the assertion that "My cap-badge sends more people to Hereford than any other". I have seen an AGC officer, RE bloke and a a girlie Major from the RSigs say this. Needless to say, they kind of got sniggered at.

Interesting you say that, the other one I have heard from friends in green is the basking in the reflected glory of the assertion that "My cap-badge sends more people to Hereford than any other". I have seen an AGC officer, RE bloke and a a girlie Major from the RSigs say this. Needless to say, they kind of got sniggered at.
The AGC one is probably right.

The Chief Clerk provides all the travel warrants after all.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wondering if anyone can provide info as to how many Officer Cadets get their first/second choices at the RSB, and how many go in to clearing on an average CC. Thanks.
When I was there, it was somewhere in the region of 5-10% in clearing although that might have changed since.

That's not a clear indication of how many actually get their 1st or 2nd choice though - many units will gently drop candidates well before RSBs if they know they aren't going to be succesful, and a lot of candidates will realise they don't have much chance with one of their top choices and will decide to bid for something less competitive.

Most people seem to be happy with where they end up, and the few that aren't can always transfer a few years later.

Euclid

War Hero
The top, bottom and middle third stuff is largely nonsense. Performance at Sandhurst is not much of an indicator as to future progress. Some regiments push the agenda and play the elitist card but I wouldn’t worry too much - it’s more to do with sroking the egos of the more senior members of said regiment.

And to be fair, a good chunk of those at 2 and 3 star have only made it that far because a lot of the real talent buggered of to the City at either capt level at 29 or post command at 39 or 40.

Para makes up about a half of 22 SAS. The Signals have a whole regiment in Hereford. Don't know where the RE or AGC thing came from, that's just bollocks.

Para makes up about a half of 22 SAS. The Signals have a whole regiment in Hereford. Don't know where the RE or AGC thing came from, that's just bollocks.
My understanding is majority Paras, Guards, RM and occasional smatterings of people from elsewhere. But it certainly isn’t the case that more people go to (badged) UKSF from the Sigs or RE than anywhere else. It’s just toffee.

Don't worry too much about clearing. The best advice I could give is to visit as many Regiments or Battalions as possible and when you find something you like invest some more time with them. This will allow them to get as good a view of you as you do of them. The reports from RMAS are important but the impression of other officers and soldiers of POs is probably the most important indicator.

Always been curious to know if it was common for OCs to get discharged from RMAS due to disciplinary/performance issues? Have heard of a couple of cases but would have thought those types would have been identified in Junior or at the AOSB?

Euclid

War Hero
In my company (quite a few years ago). 1 hoofed out for dishonesty, 1 for drugs, 3 back-termed. All of those back-termed from the previous intake (2 I think) passed.

Slightly belated reply here, but struggling to find any specific information on how the int corps recruits it YOs. ie, how competitive, their reputation and how many (on average) do they take per CC.
Many thanks again,