RMAS Officers expectations

Discussion in 'Officers' started by machiavelli, Oct 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having trawled the justifiable cynicism on this site i was wondering...

To officers going RMAS have the rose tinted picture of what the forces are like or are they being briefed on what to expect in reality ? i.e no real adventure trg and almost 2 tours every three years with POTL and Pretour trg to fit in in between, and the fact that the great Brit Public generally does'nt really care about the forces because "its their job innit"

Answers on postcard (oh alright this thread then )
  2. Which is why so many officers from across the services are leaving. I know this might sound great for climbing the career ladder, but the Army has and is continuing to loose those they cant afford to…Majors and Lt Cols.
    My general impression is one of trying to do your job with one arm tied behind your back over and over again while on OPS. The last time I was at Shrivenham I saw a Major in the library, who looked about 25 (Very inspiring I know to an RSM, not sure who he was with though).
  3. You might just be getting old.
  4. Of course they have a rose-tinted view, but don't think thats simply good advertising and naivety - they want it to be fun and exciting.

I appreciate the morale issue this raises at this point in time, but don't speak for everyone else (unless you're the boss)!
  5. That is a funny point - I spend much of my time in the Joint world tripping over ROs and passed-over Majors & Lt Cols who are entrenched back in the Boer War!
  6. I must admit, adventurous training is one of the reasons i'm joing up. But if it's as bad as you say, then i may be in for a shock :?

Despite that, 5yrs of work in civvy street has taught me never to believe the hype, so i never actually believed all the shoite they put in the recruitment literature.
  7. Really? Wouldn't it be easier to go on an adventure holiday?

There's all sorts of reasons I joined, but adv trg is down the list.

8. It provides the opportunity to do a reasonable amount of AT, and plenty of subsidies, but bear in mind there happens to be a job to do..........
  9. Yes, guys. I realised that!

It just happens that AT was a bonus.
  10. Before I started RMAS, I really just wanted to be an officer. The job, the uniform, the service... It was all I ever wanted to be.

Once at RMAS all I wanted to do was survive without getting biffed or back-termed (screwed that up - did 15 months!). I think that was a pretty universal desire at that stage: can anyone see beyond those steps?

To be honest, the prospect of constant op tours, no AT and increasing demands upon my personal time wouldn't have bothered me at all. If I hadn't wanted to be challenged, I wouldn't have joined up, after all.

Once I had children, though, I felt that it wasn't fair to impose the implications of my choice on them. I was an Army brat. Boarding school at 7 and my Dad away for months on end... it wasn't what I wanted for my kids. Hence, PVR.

11. I think the Officer Cadets do get a righteous dose of what to expect... it is made very clear to them on day one that the responsibilities that go with the Queen's Commission include the 'unlimited liability' and the authority to 'expend the youth of the nation'.

They get numerous reality of life and reality of war lectures from outsiders (which are very rarely censored - in fact one reality of life lecture was so dramatically different from the RMAS line that the Ocdts used it as an example of what not to do - discarding the advice of a complete idiot). I believe they are largely discerning about the advice they are given, know who to believe and who to ignore and by the end of the year have a pretty balanced view of the realities.

As far as AT is concerned those who have arranged or led expeditions whilst at the Academy will have been so put off by the process that they would rather knock their own teeth out with a ice skate than do it for real with soldiers.
  12. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

The only AT I've done in the Forces was on PO courses and at RMAS. Since then, the two (albeit small) expeds I helped to plan were cancelled due to funds being pulled or because I had to suddenly go to places which were a lot more adventurous and I got to go there for free!

The one Regt AT camp that I was due to go on I had to pass on due to MCM doing its usual and posting me early at three weeks notice. Cheers, easy.

AT is a huge bonus and for those fortunate enough to get on it, I'm sure it's great fun and works no end for retention etc etc.

However, different Regts have different attitudes to it/differing opportunities to get people out on it.
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Sums it up, really. Without subscribers posting ages/ranks to this thread, it's very hard to focus on those inevitable changes of view over time!!

Like "IF", all I ever wanted to be was an officer, an idea "formed" aged about 12 as I recall. Did I ever really examine the small print, or the implications? Naah - just go for the idealistic view of "leading men and serving Betty & Country"! Got commissioned, did prat JO for a few years, grew up enough to get promoted, marriage, 2.0 kids ... more promotion, "stability at MOD". Ended up rather tedious, but life's a bit like that!

However, it's infinitely preferable to my son, who did a c**p degree and ever since has been stuck (albeit quite well paid) in a c**p "career" which he doesn't really enjoy but at least pays his mortgage and cares for his 2.0 offspring! Tried to get him to do an SSC but failed dismally to persuade him!

But of course your views change over time. So do circumstances and personal preferences. Some will stay the distance, some will go at ORD, some will PVR. One or two will become CGS. But God bless the idealistic young men who are prepared (no, ignorantly willing) to follow our footsteps, and give their best for as long as they can.

The BIGGIE question is whether anyone over a certain age [35-40?] would go back and do it all again (pick your own starting date!!) I'd certainly do it again, but starting in 19** as I did before - and perhaps skip some of the prat bit :D
  14. All this talk about misguided expectations reminds me of those poor sods who turned up to Rowallan Company expecting an adventure training personal development course! Adventure - yes. Training - yes. Adventure Training - no (with the exception of a brief jaunt in Wales, and even that turned into a beasting!)

Happy memories 8O
  15. I think you hit the nail on the head.

I've heard different stories from the various regt's i've visited over the last year, and i guess it all depends on how busy each regiment is.

I must admit, the most positive picture was painted by the RE down at Chatham. The recruitment officer did make a big point of emphasising AT, and discussed how he (and others) planned and implemented their AT. His major point was to have a number of plans ready for use at short notice, because 9 times out of 10, long planned ones fall by the way.