RMAS marksman

Discussion in 'Officers' started by dirk_digler, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone recall the standard required to earn marksman at RMAS?
  2. Would it not just be the standard required to achieve marksman on your ACMT? There's plenty of OCDTs cutting around with marksman badges on their blues.
  3. Indeed. To that end what is the requirement? I have asked my Colour Sgt and was told "better than you can shoot Mr Smith"
  4. Dunno off the top of my head, but I'd take your CSGTs advice, you could always ask one of the pamphlet heads up at the SAAW if you see them about in your travels.
  5. very true. I was hoping a pamphlet head was lurking around on here but never mind- shirts to iron!
  6. It would be the same standard as required by other recruits in the army; no different!
  7. Officers are not there to be marksmen.

When was the last time you saw a Rupert who could actually shoot & hit the target at the same time.
  8. At the risk of being boring, there are loads (Ok a couple) of OCDTs cutting around with marksmanship badges on their Blues.
  9. I was in the RMAS shooting Eight(back in the day).There was no wearing of cross rifles etc,but one was required to be a good shot with pistol,rifle,SMG and GPMG,and kept weapons in one's room!
  10. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Friday. Next!

It used to be a score of 40+ out of a 45 HPS on the APWT (the annual MATT shooting test). Since that has now changed to the ACMT the score may be different, but the answer will still be in the PAM, which you can get by asking the SAA wing at Sandbags.

As crow_bag points out, plenty of senior term cadets, about 30% from my rough estimate, get marksmanship badges because RMAS does (or at least did, I may be out of date) the non-combat arms version, and not the infantry version which extends the shoots out to 400m and is somewhat harder.
  11. Not many other places do it though.

Reason probably being that RMAS students stay in one location. Harrogate used to do it too, but remember the marksman qual only lasts one year or until the next APWT (if the standard is not met).

I'd imagine CIC may continue the marksman badge wearing, but again the students are in one location for 9 months or so.
  12. When I worked at ITC(C) we used to issue the Marksman badges to the rcts when they earned it, but because they only wore their No2 dress for four hours, there was little point sewing the badges on. Arriving at Bn with it on the badge would have been unecesary drama for a rct.

The re-introduction of marksman badges at RMAS was a really good move IMO. There were a few snipers who came through as OCdts who drew second glances, though!
  13. My glass eye always goes to sleep, when people post a load of testicles!

OCDT's...........Marksman?FFS...............................In your dreams sonny!!!!"
  14. 39 out of 49 I think.

It isn't a hard test, I managed it recently with a totally unzeroed weapon - and many many others did too.
  15. 39 out of 49 = Blind ****!

Marksman........My Arse!!!!!!!