Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RMAS instructors?

An Ellery dit

Enter a huge but massively gentle Irish Major for initial interview...

small talk small talk small talk then:

"You are carrying a bit of weight. I don't suppose you do much sport"

"That depends, Colonel, if you call playing rugby for Ireland sport."
Would that have been Brian McCall, LG EME mid 80s?

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Would that have been Brian McCall, LG EME mid 80s?

I remember Brian McCall well.
If fading brain cells serve.

He was due to play for Ireland against England
I wished him well,hoped he scored and England won....................................he did and England did.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Is there a Mrs Ellery?

Women!!!!! Dear God old Boy............steady on.......

Not since the Basil Fawlty of D Sqn LG stopped knocking one out in his Reliant Scimitar..........remarkably like one once owned by Betty's eldest gel.
Rumour has it, that is the closest he came to a woman.

After that, comically short hair, long runs and cold showers.

Truxx

LE
Women!!!!! Dear God old Boy............steady on.......

Not since the Basil Fawlty of D Sqn LG stopped knocking one out in his Reliant Scimitar..........remarkably like one once owned by Betty's eldest gel.
Rumour has it, that is the closest he came to a woman.

After that, comically short hair, long runs and cold showers.
Long runs I might add in issue red PT vest, issue blue shorts issue green socks and issue black daps.

Man at 1157.

I’m afraid to say the man’s a legend - he has to be the most talked about officer of his generation and almost deserves his own thread.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I’m afraid to say the man’s a legend - he has to be the most talked about officer of his generation and almost deserves his own thread.

Or the opposite end of the spectrum,Charlie Harcourt Smith

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I did check and thought read he had popped off.

Must try harder

I’m just going to pop the kettle on so crack on, I’ll catch up.

The little taster you guys have given suggest such a thread would be a cross between open mouthed incredulity, head banging on desk incredulity and hilarity.

Maybe I just got lucky but I can’t remember any of the chaps I met from RHG/D or LG being anything other than pleasantly pompous and eccentric but generally good company?

I’m just going to pop the kettle on so crack on, I’ll catch up.

The little taster you guys have given suggest such a thread would be a cross between open mouthed incredulity, head banging on desk incredulity and hilarity.

Maybe I just got lucky but I can’t remember any of the chaps I met from RHG/D or LG being anything other than pleasantly pompous and eccentric but generally good company?
As ex RHG/D, I’ll go with pleasantly pompous, thank you. Ellery was on another level - when eccentric gets sinister and borders on insanity.

As ex RHG/D, I’ll go with pleasantly pompous, thank you. Ellery was on another level - when eccentric gets sinister and borders on insanity the person concerned is generally classified as a bell end

Happy to help

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
1977-79 I was a C/Sgt instructor in the SAA wing at the RMAS. I am trying to connect with some of my fellow instructors from that time. In particular Dave Rutter 9 Sqn Para RE, Bobby Towns Black Watch , Graham Dee QLR, Geoff Guest Para.
Here's Dave Rutter, Rowallan Company Course 8, July '79:

Rutter.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Here's CSgt Pete Mears QUEENS, same Rowallan Company at the end of course piss up:

Mears.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The RHF C/Sgt may have been Sandy Shaw ?
Here's Sandy Shaw unable to believe I'd completed Rowallan Company:

Shaw.jpg

Interestingly, one of my uncles had been his OC back in the day, so I got 'special treatment' from him..

He also encouraged me to join 1 RHF when I was on SMC later, something I very, very nearly did 8O8O8O8O

Last edited:

Latest Threads