Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RMAS instructors?

Truxx

LE
I think thats Martin Curtain (Glosters) to whom you refer. I did Senior Brecon (PSBC) with Martin fantastic sense of humour and IMHO an outstanding soldier.
Brilliant - thank you and you are spot on. I was trying to remember what Regiment he was, I sort of thought D&D but Glosters it was indeed. And he was chosen for the Important mission on the strength of his sense of humour!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I did a tour of Sandhurst in Victory college, it was the highlight of my career and most enjoyable. The real beauty of it is that most Sandhurst instructors got to RSM and perhaps commissioning in their Regiments afterwards. This meant that during subsequent postings I often knew the RSM of the Regt opposite. That happened so very many times. The other great gift of it all, was that so very often you met your cadets as officers and for many years afterwards.

I did a tour of Sandhurst in Victory college, it was the highlight of my career and most enjoyable. The real beauty of it is that most Sandhurst instructors got to RSM and perhaps commissioning in their Regiments afterwards. This meant that during subsequent postings I often knew the RSM of the Regt opposite. That happened so very many times. The other great gift of it all, was that so very often you met your cadets as officers and for many years afterwards.

It also worked in the other direction, it was always a pleasure to meet your SNCO DS and too see how much they had achieved in their careers, from Pvt soldier to QM or more is no mean achievement.

Some of those I met during my time were quiet remarkable in their ability to remember us OCdts, two stand out. One was the GSM of Muenster Garrison in the late 80's he had been my sigs instructor at RMAS some 10 years earlier but when I met him on my arrival in HQ 4 Armd Bde he knew exactly who I was and which course I had been on. The other was CSM of Rowallan Coy who was from the D & Ds who I met some 15 years later when his Bn arrived at Copehill Down where I was now DS.

Not many complimentary I would hazard a guess from my experience

He was pulled off his horse by another SNCO on the square at Knightsbridge as he came off guard after a domestic disagreement (say no more). When he was RCM in Detmold, he insisted that the regiment continue to wear puttees when we were issued BCH. Weak officers allowed that sort of thing to happen. Represented all that is bad about the HDIV - and there is a lot of good too.

He was pulled off his horse by another SNCO on the square at Knightsbridge as he came off guard after some hanky panky in the MQ tower block. When he was RCM in Detmold, he insisted that the regiment continue to wear puttees when we were issued BCH. Weak officers allowed that sort of thing to happen. Represented all that is bad about the HDIV - and there is a lot of good too.

I had heard of some of his escapades, was he RCM to James Ellery ?

Donny

ADC
Some of those I met during my time were quiet remarkable in their ability to remember us OCdts, two stand out. One was the GSM of Muenster Garrison in the late 80's he had been my sigs instructor at RMAS some 10 years earlier but when I met him on my arrival in HQ 4 Armd Bde he knew exactly who I was and which course I had been on. The other was CSM of Rowallan Coy who was from the D & Ds who I met some 15 years later when his Bn arrived at Copehill Down where I was now DS.
The first of your choices was Tony Cartwright who went on from Munster to be GSM Colchester Garrison. He was the RSM at Junior Regiment Royal Signals in the early/mid 80s and was definitely a character, in a good way.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I had heard of some of his escapades, was he RCM to James Ellery ?

Dear God, Choggi and the mad sod Ellery in one day.

Choggi was RCM while Ellery had D Squadron.
Both were an absolute menace.

Welcome to H/Cav1980............please turn your clocks back 50 years

He was pulled off his horse by another SNCO on the square at Knightsbridge as he came off guard after a domestic disagreement (say no more). When he was RCM in Detmold, he insisted that the regiment continue to wear puttees when we were issued BCH. Weak officers allowed that sort of thing to happen. Represented all that is bad about the HDIV - and there is a lot of good too.
Slightly off topic (well, a lot actually!) but is there any truth in the dit that if RHG/D pads had occasion to mow the lawn of their MSQ, that they had to do it wearing a collar and tie, etc? I only ask because it came up in a conversation at work today (don't ask), and one of the protagonists who was in Paderborn when the Blues and Royals were in Detmold swore it was true. Thanks in advance . . .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Oyibo

LE
1977-79 I was a C/Sgt instructor in the SAA wing at the RMAS. I am trying to connect with some of my fellow instructors from that time. In particular Dave Rutter 9 Sqn Para RE, Bobby Towns Black Watch , Graham Dee QLR, Geoff Guest Para.

Geoff Guest was in 1 PARA in '93 at the same time as me. He was well known for conducting a very efficient evacuation in NI when a VBIED rolled up (no one injured or killed)

Slightly off topic (well, a lot actually!) but is there any truth in the dit that if RHG/D pads had occasion to mow the lawn of their MSQ, that they had to do it wearing a collar and tie, etc? I only ask because it came up in a conversation at work today (don't ask), and one of the protagonists who was in Paderborn when the Blues and Royals were in Detmold swore it was true. Thanks in advance . . .

My first encounter with Choggi was as an RHG/D subaltern seconded to LG in Detmold 1983. My first weekend, Choggi turned me round at the gate and told me to go back to the mess and put a tie on. We had given this habit up before LG. Hence their soldiers were known as the best dressed drunks in town. If Ellery had his way, our soldiers would still be walking out in stiff collars and brigade ties.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero

To give yet more fuel to the F*cktard duo of Choggi and the loon Ellery.

Ties, please let it stop..........
Me, nicked for walking 15 yards from my pad to the pads Naafi. Extras
Me, middle of winter, arrived at the main gate,shoes, trousers, jacket, shirt, polo neck jumper on top.
Troop CoH meets me, pulls down jumper to find there is no tie. £50 fine

White socks?, FFS don't mention white socks, that would have been public execution. Pair of C*nts.

My Troop CoH died of cancer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Some painful memories tweaked by your first photo Dave Rutter was one of the DS on my Rowallan course, as was the RHF C Sgt (can't for the life of me remember his name only ever allowed to call him C Sgt) first left in the first photo who I believe later mad Maj. Also RH man on the middle row was my Pl C Sgt on SMC 20 Staff Cpl Chris Slater LG again I believe he made it as far as Maj.
Dave Rutter (9 Para) was my second term DS on RoCo...

Euclid

War Hero
To give yet more fuel to the F*cktard duo of Choggi and the loon Ellery.

Ties, please let it stop..........
Me, nicked for walking 15 yards from my pad to the pads Naafi. Extras
Me, middle of winter, arrived at the main gate,shoes, trousers, jacket, shirt, polo neck jumper on top.
Troop CoH meets me, pulls down jumper to find there is no tie. £50 fine

White socks?, FFS don't mention white socks, that would have been public execution. Pair of C*nts.

My Troop CoH died of cancer
I saw Ellery in Iraq around 2007 when he was part of Spicer’s private army. Linen suit, tie, Panama. That was his standard working dress apparently. Strutting around like a colonial governor rather than the no-mark civvy that he was - really didn’t like serving soldiers, the knob. Heard he’d had a kitchen ripped out of his new pied a terre in Knightsbridge because ‘gentlemen don’t cook’.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
...........They do say Covid 19 is no respecter of rank, Linen suits or panama hats :rolleyes:

Truxx

LE
An Ellery dit

Enter a huge but massively gentle Irish Major for initial interview...

small talk small talk small talk then:

"You are carrying a bit of weight. I don't suppose you do much sport"

"That depends, Colonel, if you call playing rugby for Ireland sport."

Latest Threads