RMAS hopeful, but with the Army cuts do I stand a chance?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by cj1991, Mar 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, this is my first post so please be kind!

I'm a 21 year old female and have always swayed towards joining the Army as an Officer. I have 10 GCSE's (A's-C's) and 3 A-Levels (240 UCAS points). Did uni for a year (and a day!) but it really wasn't for me.
    Volunteer Lifeboat Crew Member and Assistant Manager in an extremely busy and popular restaurant. I've had a job since I was 13.
    Currently running 1.5 mile in 12.20, 10 press ups & 32 sit ups in 1min each. This is without much training and am aiming to improve these scores vastly. (MSFT will be done shortly, but got to level 6 with an injured hip flexor).

What I'm really asking is, with the Army reforming to 85,000 will I stand a chance of getting into the Commissioning Course at Sandhurst within the next 2 years? Also I would be hoping to apply to AAC or Int Corps (by no means asking for any info on either corps, just whether they will be recruiting).

I would really appreciate any helpful replies, thanks in advance!

2. There's a thread just for girls, use it.
  3. Thank you Roadster for your quick and kind response. I love being a part of the RNLI, it's such a great organisation. Maybe I'll repost in the section for girls, just to keep some members happy ;)
  4. RNLI good bunch of guys. They rescued my best mate out at sea about 0500 hrs after his stag doo when he put him in a washed up rowing boat and the tide came in and took him out to sea for a jolly. Good times.
  5. msr

msr LE

The TA is some 3000 Officers short...
  6. Yes, the army are still recruiting officers, including into both AAC and Int Corps. Both corps are fairly competitive, but that should not put you off.

As MSR suggests, if you want to 'dip your toe' into the military so to speak, to see if you like it, the TA might be an option. However, if you want 'the real deal', the regular army is your only option. Also while AAC do have TA personnel, you'll only become a pilot by joining the regular army.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. CJ

Get fitter (much from your current scores), do Army Officer Selection Board and then decide - a pass counts for Regular and TA. Yes, the TA is 3000 officers short - but if you want to do it for a living, join the Regular Army.

You will be commissioned and leading soldiers as a Regular 2Lt before you could even get to Sandhurst through the TA route. The reasons for the length of time it takes to be commissioned in to the TA are dull and complex - but is probably a significant factor in why the TA are 3000 officers short!

Good luck
  8. Cuts don't mean recruiting gets turned off, just that it gets more competitive.

If you can show you want it bad enough, you have the academic qualifications, can presumably argue as to why you binned your degree (they will ask) and have an active and arduous volunteer career to chuck into the hat as a sweetener.

The fitness thing can be improved pretty quickly, so don't worry too much about it.
  9. There is now a course available to get you through TACC in 8 eight weeks! It is MOD 1, Summer/Easter Leader and RMAS in back to back courses. Interesting to know peoples thoughts on that.

You can also do your training with one of many UOTC's that will cut the time down. This, I think, is an excellent way to do it.

I would suggest listening to some good advise above. Get fitter whilst completing AOSB briefing and main-board. This would give you opportunity to see what you think of it. Many people are put off! It would also help you decide if you prefer the regular or TA route. If you like the idea of the TA, get the application started as this will also put you off. This is an area that really needs to be sorted out.
  10. Thanks everyone for your replies, they're all helpful and much appreciated! TA is definitely not for me, so bring on the competition for Sandhurst!
  11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The bottom line is that army is still recruiting and, less fitness which can be worked on very quickly, you appear to meet the criteria. The standard at AOSB has not changed and is unlikely to, so the best thing for you to do is to fill out the online application form and take it from there. Good luck.