RM Williams Boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by foxs_marine, Jan 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have experience of these boots?

Are they as good as they look & is the high pricing justified?

I'm thinking of getting some as they look smart, tough & long lasting, but the price puts me off a bit.

Grateful for guidance.
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Cracking boots. Pricey, but well worth it. I have had mine for 2 years, and they are still looking smart and have not even needed resoling or heeling. Considering I have my work shoes reheeled every 6-8 weeks, it is evidence of how well they wear.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Depends on which ones you get. I have a pair of the dress boots and they were comfortable right out of the box. Look great too.

I bought mine directly from Oz and saved myself 20 or 30%.

There is a cheaper aussie boot which begins with a 'B' but I can't remember the name for the life of me. They cost about a quarter of teh RMW boots though.

4. Wouldn't it be cheaper to fix the brakes on your bike?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Awesome boot, my dad has had his pair for 10 years, worn most weekends in winter and has only just had them resoled this summer ready for winter wear. £85 notes to have them done by RM but they recondition leather etc.

got a pair for my 18th, now 24 and they keep looking better and better the more worn in they are.

although high inital outlay they last and work out cheaper than a few pairs of cheaper boots!

only issue with importing is the extortionate import tax.
  6. That would be Blundstone which have a DMS sole, are very wide, comfortable and very eeeh 'healthy looking' footwear (a la Birkenstock). Best worn in their natural environment ie the outback.
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Look, the walk to and from the pub puts a lot of wear on them, OK? :D
  8. Cracking boots indeed - and the only RM Williams authorised sole-and-hell merchant is a small cobbler's on Goodge Street, South side, just before the intersection with Charlotte St.
  9. It's named the ' Fifth Avenue Shoe Repairers & Shoe Shop'. at 41 Googe St. Tele. No - 020-76366705
  10. They are excellent boots well worth the money.
  11. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

I am on my third pair. Cracking set of walkers, keep well and comfy as you like.

All styles acceptable except cowhide patterned suede.

For that's a bit fey.
  12. I highly recommend kangaroo hide uppers if available. Roo is suceptible to drying out because of its thinness, never force-dry it, give it plenty of dressing and they'll be like slippers.

DO! NOT! get leather soles; utterly lethal, give no traction on any surface whatsoever.

Get them resoled-by RMW or approved other-before they look like they need it. If you leave it too long, you'll damage the cork midsole, which can't be repaired.

Get more than one pair, even if you can't afford it; you can rotate pairs and allow them to dry out naturally between wears, especially important in your climate.

RMW water-based polish is easily the best I've used. Avoid Kiwi and the like, as the solvents damage the leather over time. If you must spit-polish them, only do it on the toecap, or the buildup of polish will stiffen the leather markedly.
  13. OK boots (wore them for 15 years), but average compared to Edward Green is you're looking in that direction.
  14. Good Lord. Do they have to rig you for heavy drop when you're getting out of aircraft ;)