RM take up free running to help in urban combat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RP578, Jan 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Article in today's Guardian: Free Running Goes To War

Well, it's certainly an interesting concept.

2. so they are going to do all that with full kit on.
    i dont think so.
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah that was my first thought, but according to them ...

Of course "combat dress" could mean just jim-jams sans body armour, webbing, day sack etc.
  4. Could hardly do it with fully loaded bergan but I can see it being effective. Parkour (pre-curser of freerunning) actually started in the French Military for moving around the jungles of Vietnam. It's relevant.
  5. No i believe some kids started it to relieve their boredom when they were living in a dump.
  6. Crap, WAH? :p
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Oh yes, you can just hear the calls for "Medic" as a blokes knee caps ping out in seperate directions.
  8. My eldest boy has done 'Parkour' etc for a year or two and recently joined the TA. He would be the first to admit that though his 'Parkour' won't have done any harm to his physical fitness and agility it certainly bears feck all comparison to military fitness and ability.

Parkour to me is what we old 'uns used to call rough and tumble or fannying around - it's just amateur gymnastics without the gym.

Apparently 'free running' and 'Parkour' are different things to a 'traceur' like him :?

Load of bollocks.
  9. ..or a nice little pink, off-the-shoulder cocktail dress with stockings, suspenders and matching high heels?

10. Ah, the green eyed monster rears it's ugly head at the thought of Royals sartorial elegance :roll: .
    Anything which relieves the boredom of fitness training, "What another 10 miler?" has got to be good.
    Street fighting with bergans on a likely scenario? But even so Assault vest, body armour, rifle, size 10 boots and helmet would seem to preclude leaping about with the grace of a speeding gazelle.
  11. Parkour uses alot of old jap martial arts tried and tested stuff to get up on roofs and such. esp with rolling out of hard landings.

Anyway, it should be amusing to see plod in exmouth chasing these drunk buggers around the roof of Sams.
  12. More importantly, could they Free Run while stark b0llack naked apart from a roll mat on each arm? :twisted: