Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RM Medal issued between 1963-1985.

Rehyn

Swinger
Greetings one and all, apologies if I have chucked this in the wrong forum.

Unfortunately my SO's grandfather passed away last week. A great tragedy.

It transpires that he was in the Royals, having passed out on 11-1-64 as part of 799 Squad, Depot Royal Marines, Deal. We believe he spent 22 years in, finishing as a CPL, PR (Not sure what the PR stands for, if anyone could clarify would be grand).

My SO was going through his personal effects and such and found a box filled with really interesting stuff like his passing out photo, a picture of him with P Troop, 41 Commando on Formation and, interestingly, a medal of some sort.

Now it might just be a standard issue for being involved in something but it'd be great if anyone was able to identify it for us. I've also attached the 2 other aforementioned pictures just for your intrigue.

Cheers lads.

RM Medal.jpg RM Pass out 2.jpg
RM Pass out.jpg
RM P Company.jpg

Interesting medal - I'm guessing it's a "jewel" of a Masonic or similar lodge in Aden (I know the clue is the word "aden" on the top bar) the dhow symbol is that of Aden Brigade

Interesting medal - I'm guessing it's a "jewel" of a Masonic or similar lodge.
Yeah it's definitely not of the standard of an official issue but it clearly held some sentimental value to him because he kept it with his other service effects, so who knows.

Did he definitely pass out as part of 799 Squad?
If he's the man you show in the photo with the two officers then he appears to be the man sitting bottom right on the 799 Squad photo, an instructor not a recruit.
The Corporal PR - Provost Corporal?
Again, I'm just guessing, not being particularly au fait with RM matters.

Yes, pre 1962.

It's official name is NGSM (Naval General Service Medal) 1915 and has a pink and white ribbon a bit like a piece of four by two. It will carry a clasp (can't read it in photo) showing what fun it was awarded for. It was superseded by the all-arms GSM in 1962.

The medal in the coloured pic on its own looks like a bit of bling off e-bay.

Update on this, my SO's mother believes it may be to do with his service in Aden, where he was shot in the back and leg. Perhaps something to do with the injuries he received.

My condolences for your recent loss.

I think that this item is linked to the gentleman's time in the Middle East, but I would agree with other posters that it's a jewel created by the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes for members who served there, rather than a medal issued by HM Government for his service. I wouldn't say that it was linked to the fact that he was injured.

THE RAOB has a curator - that's probably your best port of call in the first instance. He/she should be able to be more precise about this. Send the RAOB an e-mail - details where it says "Home Page" -

Home Page

You may wish to apply to the RN for a copy of the gentleman's service record.

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

Did he definitely pass out as part of 799 Squad?
If he's the man you show in the photo with the two officers then he appears to be the man sitting bottom right on the 799 Squad photo, an instructor not a recruit...

Additionally, the close-up photo of him standing has wording on the frame (that little we can see) which gives different course dates, that and the pace stick strongly suggest he was an instructor when this was taken. It might be worth seeing the full thing.

Unfortunately not, he doesn't seem to have imparted much of what happened during his time in service.

I'll see if I can get a good picture next time I'm round her parents see if we can dissect this further.

No prob, just that if it was the first half of 1967 I might've been able to find out a few details of the incident (more than likely not though).

41 Commando seemed to be disbanded and reformed on a number of occasions, latterly being part of 3 Commando Brigade. They, Four One, were disbanded in 1981 so he may have gone on to other things. :cool: