RM/ Infantry officer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by noakesy, Jun 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all
    I'm very interested in joining one of the teeth arms as an officer, I've had a few interviews with the army and am going on an officer insight course in July, my dad's friend who was an officer in the marines suggested that route to me a few days ago, and the more I look into it the better it looks, I just wondered if anyone here could shed some light on whether or not there is a big difference in your career path/ role, and do you go and do/ see a lot more as an officer in the Royal Marines that you would in say the guards?

Thanks for any help

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

go marines they generally are better looking, have better teeth and dont have to stare at tourists so much.

dont eat the soggy biscuit though.
  3. So apart from all the gay sex games are there any downsides to the RM?
  4. RM officer candidates are expected to have got out from behind their computers have experienced life for themselves. Rather than troll about ARRSe getting spoon fed.
  5. Ooer, I'm a star 4 Cadet corporal who's completed a leadership course in the brecon beacons, got good grades, I go shooting, play rugby and football, I'm in charge of the year 11 and 12 prefects at school and I'm going to Cyprus with the Royal Anglians next year, does any of that count? I was just asking because obviously recruiting material is just that, it's meant to make you want to join. I just want some info on the people who have been there and done it, I can't get that anywhere else.
  6. You could do worse than try the PRMC forum on the RMs official site. It has a Potential Officers forum, where serving officers often contribute.

POC Section - PRMC - Join the Royal Marines
  7. The Royal Marines is a lot smaller than the army. If you are planning on a long career, you may find promotion slower and harder to obtain.

I should imagine that the Royal Marines officer training is more arduous than Sandhurst, but will offer the satisfaction of belonging to a very exclusive club - in their own minds anyway.... If you join the army you will (in theory) have a choice of regiments, each with their own approach to soldiering and their own way of doing things.

If you're going to join the Royal Marines you need to step away from the keyboard and start doing some hard training.
  8. Thanks guys, that shows how good my research was! I had no idea that forum even existed :) and I'll start doing the hard training bit ASAP, but I've still got uni to get through, surely living on pot noodles and alcohol for three years will mess up my chances!